Prepaid SIM - Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: CX Gold
Can I buy a sim card at the airport (YVR)? What is currently the best data simcard?
Old May 19, 2016, 8:49 am

I would suggest looking at roam mobility (roammobility.ca. They are a Canadian company that has been offering U.S. service to Canadian travelling to the U.S. They have recently started offering plans to visitors to Canada. I believe that they even offer SIM card delivery to your hotel.

I have been using them for my travels to U.S. for several years now. Their date/text/data rates have been very competitive and the few times I have had issues, their service desk has been very good at resolving them.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AltaBound
I would suggest looking at roam mobility (roammobility.ca. They are a Canadian company that has been offering U.S. service to Canadian travelling to the U.S. They have recently started offering plans to visitors to Canada. I believe that they even offer SIM card delivery to your hotel.

I have been using them for my travels to U.S. for several years now. Their date/text/data rates have been very competitive and the few times I have had issues, their service desk has been very good at resolving them.
They keep bumping their prices and changing the rules. Used to be a SIM to use in the US for Canadians would be good for up to 12 months. Now it is 6 mos. Rates have gone up too.

Time these guys got a more serious competitor.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
They keep bumping their prices and changing the rules. Used to be a SIM to use in the US for Canadians would be good for up to 12 months. Now it is 6 mos. Rates have gone up too.

Time these guys got a more serious competitor.
Agreed, however they are still cheaper than my home provider (Telus) and the data usage I am allocated is great as I tend to use much more data when I am on the road vs. home. I am not thrilled about the change to six months but with my travel schedule it will not be an issue.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Can I buy a sim card at the airport (YVR)? What is currently the best data simcard?
Check out this page:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada
Old May 21, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
It looks like I can't buy a simcard at the airport.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:30 pm

Use a US Tmobile SIM

Using a prepaid US Tmobile SIM could be an easy way to roam in Canada.

You can get a Simply Prepaid plan for $40, + $5 for the Canada/Mexico add-on. You get unlimited calls and 3 GB of data for 30 days. Yes, they have rules about the percentage of time that must be in the US - but they are unlikely to cut you off in the first month of Canada usage.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:47 pm

You can check at the 7-Eleven store in the terminal. From what I have read it can be hit and miss.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Is the T-Mobile Simply Prepaid + Canada package currently the best solution?

I have a freedompop SIM card + Google Voice setup for all of my travels abroad. freedompop allows me for free. (I just paid $5 for the SIM Card) 500MB of 3G data in about 25 countries but Canada is one of the few that is not included. Usually combining wifi+500MB of freedompop 3G + Google Voice would work for an emergency and suffice for a whole bunch of travels. This time i cannot use my $0 month freedompop data, so i have to buy a different solution for Canada.

I am a heavy data user and am looking for LTE speed. Can i get something better for $45 a month (Tmo plan)? I will be staying 15 days in Canada followed by 1 month and a half in the US.

Plan is to get the T-mobile Simply Prepaid. Use it in Canada and USA. and then when my first month end (that i will be in the USA by now), survive with the freedompop quota and wifi. If i feel uncomfortable or limited in any way once i'm staying in the USA and once my first plan has gone through, i would repurchase another new T-Mobile plan, maybe the same Simply Prepaid without the Canada add on, or maybe the Tourist T-Mobile plan for $30.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvtm
Is the T-Mobile Simply Prepaid + Canada package currently the best solution?

I have a freedompop SIM card + Google Voice setup for all of my travels abroad. freedompop allows me for free. (I just paid $5 for the SIM Card) 500MB of 3G data in about 25 countries but Canada is one of the few that is not included. Usually combining wifi+500MB of freedompop 3G + Google Voice would work for an emergency and suffice for a whole bunch of travels. This time i cannot use my $0 month freedompop data, so i have to buy a different solution for Canada.

I am a heavy data user and am looking for LTE speed. Can i get something better for $45 a month (Tmo plan)? I will be staying 15 days in Canada followed by 1 month and a half in the US.

Plan is to get the T-mobile Simply Prepaid. Use it in Canada and USA. and then when my first month end (that i will be in the USA by now), survive with the freedompop quota and wifi. If i feel uncomfortable or limited in any way once i'm staying in the USA and once my first plan has gone through, i would repurchase another new T-Mobile plan, maybe the same Simply Prepaid without the Canada add on, or maybe the Tourist T-Mobile plan for $30.
I have not checked others since I have T-Mobile prepaid already. I also gathered and thought $45/month for 3GB (+ unlimited voice and text) is reasonable.

Last edited by username; Jun 19, 2016 at 12:35 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:36 am

Reviving an old thread - but I'm heading to Canada (road trip across BC & AB) and was looking at what sim to purchase (UK resident) - any current tips? Virgin Mobile seems to be cheapest for data but makes no mention of contract length! Just need a PAYG or rolling sim, really..
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by ohms12
Reviving an old thread - but I'm heading to Canada (road trip across BC & AB) and was looking at what sim to purchase (UK resident) - any current tips? Virgin Mobile seems to be cheapest for data but makes no mention of contract length! Just need a PAYG or rolling sim, really..
The best value I've found in Canadian data has been in the tablet SIMs which you can normally stick in hotspots or phones (but note you won't have voice or texting other than via VOIP). Alternatively as people have said a US TMobile prepaid SIM can be extended to Canada for $5.

Avoid Wind/Freedom Mobile. Their coverage is weak outside of urban areas.

I believe someone else mentioned Roam Mobility. This is their competitor:

https://www.similicious.com/pages/ca...avel-sim-cards

I am only passing it on for completeness. I don't particularly love their plan.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jay71
Although this thread was last posted in approximately 16 months ago, it is still very relevant, including the prepaid SIM link posted by @Jay71

Within that link talks about Public Mobile. Has anyone used them yet? Any feedback? I was thinking of going to a Canadian Tire to get the SIM and a prepaid voucher. Still deciding whether I just want to stick with a data-only plan for my iPad, or get voice/data for my iPhone.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If one can live with very limited coverage areas, there can be some good deals. Recently got a (actually, 2 for the price) 1-yr prepaid on Freedom (formerly Wind,currently Shaw but being hawked off to Quebecor/Videotron) for C$99 and includes 50 GB of data. Deal dead but may come back to life. There are others around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.