FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Prepaid SIM - Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1459894-prepaid-sim-canada.html)

zacaltman Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Prepaid SIM - Canada

I'm heading to Canada for 2 weeks in June and want to grab a sim / hotspot to use whilst i'm there.

I'm not too fussed about talk / text (as I can use iMessage, Whatsapp and Google Voice), more interested in getting decent coverage and data. I have an iPad with 3G, so I could use it as a hotspot. Not too concerned about the cost (within reason of course).

I've seen this thread on iPhonetrip, however based on the responses it doesn't seem to be the ideal route:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...p-reviews.html

It looks like I can choose between Rogers, Telus and Bell:
Anyone know if I can get the SIM setup and shipped to the US before I leave? If you have any comments about the quality of the networks too, that would be great. I think Rogers is the best in terms of coverage / speed (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Any other tips / recommendations?

dtsm Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm

I searched the canada travel thread and came up with multiple threads that might have answered your question already; one is dated 2013:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rchid=16361929

G.S Apr 26, 2013 2:46 am

The best solution I found for Canada was FIDO
You can buy the sim / micro sim on EBAY before travel
But you will have to buy a voucher when you arrive
Many places sell them.
For 25 CAD you get 500Mb of DATA

If you willing to buy when you are in canada
On WIND for 40$ you get unlimited talk and data ( you also need to pay some thing for the sim / micro sim)
It is a Monthly plan but just pay for 1 month with a voucher and throw it away after your visits.

Braindrain Apr 26, 2013 8:59 am

WIND (and Mobilicity) uses the AWS bands. No idea if the ipad can use that but coverage will certainly be an issue.

zacaltman Apr 26, 2013 9:45 am

Originally Posted by G.S (Post 20655154)
The best solution I found for Canada was FIDO
You can buy the sim / micro sim on EBAY before travel
But you will have to buy a voucher when you arrive
Many places sell them.
For 25 CAD you get 500GB of DATA

GB or MB? I feel like MB is more likely. ;)

Originally Posted by G.S (Post 20655154)
If you willing to buy when you are in canada
On WIND for 40$ you get unlimited talk and data ( you also need to pay some thing for the sim / micro sim)
It is a Monthly plan but just pay for 1 month with a voucher and throw it away after your visits.

That sounds pretty sweet!! I'll check it out

zacaltman Apr 26, 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 20656299)
WIND (and Mobilicity) uses the AWS bands. No idea if the ipad can use that but coverage will certainly be an issue.

Good to know, i'll steer clear of them.

Neuroid Jun 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Just returned from a trip to Quebec and used a company called Similicious. $44 CAD for 2GB, $35 for 1GB (they also offer 5GB for $55) of 4G LTE / 3G data (although I was only able to ever get 3G, even in downtown Montreal, but I didn't piddle with the cellular settings at all).

They will deliver in Canada, to your hotel or residential address, for free, shipping to the US is only $2 (versus the ridiculous $8 that iPhoneTrip charges [plus IPT, I believe, does not yet offer LTE]). The SIM card was branded as Bell.

All in all, was happy with the product ... they shipped with little metal tool that helped to pry open the sim slot (iPhone 5) which ended up being a lifesaver. Professional packing, service, and web site.

Dubai Stu Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm

We live fifteen miles from the border and have a contract Telus Flex Data SIM. $6 a month for months we don't use it with flexible steps upto 5gigs for 35 gigs. I keep it in a generic hotspot device. Whoever in the family is going to Canada takes it.

TRAVELSIG Jul 8, 2013 8:54 am

Anyone have luck with Rogers?

I am looking for something with both voice and data that has good coverage throughout BC.

Dubai Stu Jul 8, 2013 5:45 pm

For whatever it is worth, Bell and Telus's HSPA network is completely shared. Their LTE networks are not so much. An ATT LTE device can access the LTE used by Rogers, Telus, and Bell (with a local SIM in the device). Verizon's LTE frequency is not currently used i Canada, but Mobilcity has some compatible licenses (hence Verizon's interest in buying them).

zacaltman Jul 8, 2013 6:19 pm

I just arrived back from my trip to Canada - this is how I ended up doing it:
•.Didn't go the 3G iPad route, stuck with my iPhone.
• Tried to go to 7/11 to get a SIM, they had run out.
• Tried Rogers, they tested my phone and said it wasn't compatible.
• Settled on Virgin Mobile - it cost me about $50 for 1GB of data + a few calls / SMS. I was desperate at this point as I'd failed on my preferred options and time was running low. In the end, Virgin wasn't too bad. The reception was patchy and in the rare instant when there was 4G the speeds were decent. I was able to keep up to date with all of the work stuff I wanted to (chat messages, mail, etc) and even use Instagram, but I wouldn't dare say Skype was an option.

TL;DR Went with Virgin Mobile, they aren't great but good enough for email / chat when you need it.

aztimm Aug 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by zacaltman (Post 21063561)
I just arrived back from my trip to Canada - this is how I ended up doing it:
•.Didn't go the 3G iPad route, stuck with my iPhone.
• Tried to go to 7/11 to get a SIM, they had run out.
• Tried Rogers, they tested my phone and said it wasn't compatible.
• Settled on Virgin Mobile - it cost me about $50 for 1GB of data + a few calls / SMS. I was desperate at this point as I'd failed on my preferred options and time was running low. In the end, Virgin wasn't too bad. The reception was patchy and in the rare instant when there was 4G the speeds were decent. I was able to keep up to date with all of the work stuff I wanted to (chat messages, mail, etc) and even use Instagram, but I wouldn't dare say Skype was an option.

TL;DR Went with Virgin Mobile, they aren't great but good enough for email / chat when you need it.

Thanks for posting your review!

I'll be in Canada (the Vancouver area), in early October for 3 days. Driving in from Seattle, and curious if I should just go without my iPhone or try getting a SIM.

Since I'll be driving in, I may swing by a 7-11, Circle K, or the like and see if they have any prepaid that will work in an iPhone (I have a 4 that is unlocked).

TRAVELSIG Aug 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 21260019)
Thanks for posting your review!

I'll be in Canada (the Vancouver area), in early October for 3 days. Driving in from Seattle, and curious if I should just go without my iPhone or try getting a SIM.

Since I'll be driving in, I may swing by a 7-11, Circle K, or the like and see if they have any prepaid that will work in an iPhone (I have a 4 that is unlocked).

I am in Canada at the moment and very happy with similicious.

boberonicus Aug 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Today in a Vancouver mall, I purchased a Koodo SIM for my iPhone 4S. Koodo uses the Telus 3G network. The SIM+1GB data + 20 minutes voice + (unlimited I think) texts was $56 (Canadian) for one month. Calls to the US count for two minutes per minute of call time. PIN-based vouchers for refills are available at 7-11 but not over the web without a Canadian credit card. Each additional 1GB is $30.

The setup process was pretty painful. It took about 30 minutes at the counter. Problems included web site errors, long SIM activation time, a seven page registration process, and a one minute delay to find the network after the phone is alive and searching. The rep said there were fewer problems with Android phones.

On the upside, coverage throughout downtown has been great so far.

aztimm Oct 6, 2013 9:02 pm

we arrived in Vancouver today.

Went to the Apple Store in Pacific Place, had heard that they have different SIM cards to sell. Evidently that rumor was incorrect, but the guy I chatted with recommended Fido.

so we went to the Fido shop across the street. they have a bunch of deals, but we settled on the $10 SIM + $10 for 100 MB of data. they asked my name and birthdate (didn't need to provide any ID).
when they heard that today was my birthday (it is), they threw in my SIM for free :)
(my other half did have to pay C$10 for his SIM though).

if we need to top up, they said you can buy vouchers from 7-11, Best Buy, etc, or do it online. I specifically asked if a US credit card would work, and they said yes.

there seems to be a bit of WiFi around downtown Vancouver. but since we're planning to rent a car and drive up to Whistler, I figured it would be handy to have access to maps and stuff.