Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Silver Fox
This is a stub Wiki for this thread - the idea is that any member can edit it to keep it up to date as a distillation of the best info from the thread.

3 - 200MB Free data SIM
3 - 15 pounds for 300 minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited 3G data for a month (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=112) The deal might not be dead but to buy the addon you need to switch WiFi off (!!) and open http://three.co.uk/my3 on your device as this unlinked support page says. Three customer service and store both says this doesn't work with tablets -- however customer service are idiots and doesn't know what is a tablet only knows phones and iPads (both phone and chat -- this is apparently company level). Tread carefully. Anyways, this method still worked on January 13, 2015.

Note the GBP15 all you can eat deal has now been pulled(Note 8/3/16: All in one with All you can eat data is now GBP25): http://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/AIO20B

If you don't want to buy a bundle or a plan, Three's flat rate for calls is now 3p per minute. The expiry time of one month or three months for topups has now been removed. So you pay only 3p per call minute for what you use.

Three's data is only 1p per MB, and you can buy packages (eg 500MB for 5 pounds). The packages ("add-ons") may not save money directly, but those data packages are eligible for use in "Feel at Home" countries (Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, Indonesia, Macau, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden, USA) at no extra charge. See http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM11925)

EE: http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Vodafone: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk

O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

giffgaff: www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/nfh (£5 free credit) or www.giffgaff.com/orders/free-sim (no free credit)

Three: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

How do I top up with an overseas card, or can I use PayPal?

Strangely, some firms insist that you must use a UK issued credit card to topup. Some do take PayPal:

Giffgaff
Vodafone

But it is not as prevalent as it should bein this day and age admittedly. There is a firm that some people have reported success with and they are:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 5 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G and 4G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)
900MHz (Band 8)
1800MHz (Band 3)
2100MHz (Band 1)
2600MHz (Band 7)

Here's a chart for iPhones and which bands each model can use. http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you're not sure which model you have, look on the back of your iPhone or go into Settings-->General-->About-->Legal-->Regulatory

iphone 5 users note that: iPhone 5 cannot get 4G/LTE on the 800MHz or 2600MHz frequencies but it can on the 1800 frequency.

For other users there are a number of resources to check the frequency your phone supports including:

Global Certification Forum

As an example this is the data for a Samsung J1 Ace SM-J111F

GSMARENA

What frequencies do the different operators use?

Each operator in the UK utilises different frequencies to deliver their mobile networks with the core networks being EE, O2, Vodafone and Three. Then there are also operators, called mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), who utilise the backend of the core networks to offer their own services.

The frequencies used by the major UK networks are:

EE (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz & 2600MHz

O2 (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Vodafone (2G) 900MHz & 1800MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 2600MHz

Three (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHZ

The frequencies used by UK’s MVNO’s are listed below:

Asda Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

BT Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

iD Mobile (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 1800MHz

Freedom Pop (2G) N/A (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz & 1800MHz

GiffGaff (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Lebara Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

LycaMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

TalkMobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) N/A

TalkTalk (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

Tesco Mobile (2G) 900MHz (3G) 900MHz & 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz

The People’s Operator (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz & 2100MHz

Virgin Mobile (2G) 1800MHz (3G) 2100MHz (4G LTE) 800MHz, 1800MHz, & 2600MHz

Please add and edit!
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I used to be with giffgaff when they were younger. Now I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I'm with 3, speeds are just fine for me whenever I roam, mainly used for maps, reading the news, whatsapp, and that's about it.
Agree entirely. I've had experience in the last ten years with GiffGaff, EE and Three but have kept with Three because, at least for me, the coverage is much better. GiffGaff is generally weak, but EE has some strange bad spots both in London and Cornwall which are the two places I care about. Having said that, Three seems weak around Osterley on the Tube coming in from LHR which is a PITA.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Sounds like three is the way to go. Does tethering work currently on three prepaid?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IslesFan
Sounds like three is the way to go. Does tethering work currently on three prepaid?
It worked last year when I went. I'm not sure if it's due to the plan I added, though, as I saw stuff online before leaving about how it's not allowed.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IslesFan
It worked in October in France and the wording seems to have changed. There seemed to be some confusion about whether you needed a data add-on to get the 1p rate so I got one to be safe.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a little time so I tried to learn more about Three. I found the Pay-as-you-Go Price Guide: http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_111218.pdf

My conclusion is, even without an add-on:

1 - text and data rates are similar in "Go Roam" Countries as when home in the UK, which includes the US
2 - 3p voice rates only applies when calling UK, not if you call locally (e.g. at US, calling US)
3 - tethering (Hotspot) is allowed (within the Fair Use rules) in the UK and in Go Roam Europe countries only
4 - it does say you have to have ties to the UK to use the Go Roam services or they will suspend your roaming privileges if you don't meet what they specify

I thought I read somewhere earlier that the credits expire after 6 months of non-use but I don't see it now?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by username
I had a little time so I tried to learn more about Three. I found the Pay-as-you-Go Price Guide: http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_111218.pdf

My conclusion is, even without an add-on:

1 - text and data rates are similar in "Go Roam" Countries as when home in the UK, which includes the US
2 - 3p voice rates only applies when calling UK, not if you call locally (e.g. at US, calling US)
3 - tethering (Hotspot) is allowed (within the Fair Use rules) in the UK and in Go Roam Europe countries only
4 - it does say you have to have ties to the UK to use the Go Roam services or they will suspend your roaming privileges if you don't meet what they specify

I thought I read somewhere earlier that the credits expire after 6 months of non-use but I don't see it now?
Thanks for that summary, which I think is correct. I don't think that the credit expires but there used to be a note that your phone might be deactivated after six months. I'm not sure how you would collect the credits if that happened!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's best to set a reminder and send a text within a 6 month period of using it in your case to keep it alive. This is what 3 say in their Ts and Cs:

Three will suspend your Pay As You Go account if you don’t top-up or make a chargeable event in a six-month period. According to clause 9.1(h) of the Three Pay As You Go Terms & Conditions:9.1 We may Suspend any or all of the Three Services you use without notice if

(h) you have not activated a Pay As You Go Voucher on your account or undertaken any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made) using any credit or allowance on your account within the preceding 6 month period.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting message when I inserted by 3 SIM and tried to generate usage. I got a text that says:

Welcome to the USA. You can use your allowance to call & text home & use data at no extra cost (unless you're on a new Essential plan). Calls, texts & data outside your allowance, cost up to 3.3p/min, 2p/text & 1/MB unless you're on a Three Essential plan then these will cost, £1.40p/min, 35p/text & £3.00p/MB and 0.99p/min to receive calls as well. Free Call 112 for emergencies & Free Call +447782333330 for charges info.

I can't get data to connect - it kept disconnecting me from T-Mobile or AT&T when I enabled Cellular Data. Most of the people I know have iPhones (so it is not SMS). So, I guess I will have to call a UK number and hang up to generate usage

Last edited by username; May 9, 2019 at 12:16 am
Old May 9, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you turn on roaming too?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried both. When I turn on data, it even drops my cellular connection completely. Kind of strange. Doing it from an really old phone and maybe that is why....
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This was posted last week on the giffgaff forum and certainly will be an enhancement of their service with the £10 bundle increasing the data allowance from 3 GB to 6 GB, the £12 bundle increasing from 4 to 10, and the £15 from 8 to 15, starting August 14. As my next trip to the UK begins August 15, I'll hold off buying my next bundle: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/An.../td-p/23649951.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:00 pm

Looking for sim card suggestion. I'm doing a 4 week trip starting in London, and then going to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Mainly interested in a package with data (3-5 gb?), but may do a few calls and sms. Since London is the first stop, I will need to get the sim there.

I'd expect that all UK sims will work in Spain and Portugal. Is that correct? Will that remain true if Brexit occurs Oct 31? The trip is half in October and half November.

Is there a sim that will also work in Morocco? If there isn't an affordable option that includes Morocco, I can always get a separate sim there.

I'm using an unlocked IPhone 7 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No-one knows what will happen, or if it will happen with Brexit. Roaming in the EU is "free" in that you can use any allowance on your UK sim in Spain and Portugal, and it will work there. You may have to manually choose a local network sometimes if it does not automatically latch on. That said I would maintain a watching brief on Brexit/not just to make sure that you do not all of a sudden fall foul of any roaming charges, but I really doubt it.

Morocco is in North Africa (I am sure you know that ) so does not fall under that and you will need to check with any potential sim card provider. I have not been to Morocco but my UK sim has worked in other parts of Africa without any problems. I am with 3 in the UK and as an example this is what they would charge me: Mobile roaming - Roaming & international - Support - Three
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I too have been to Morocco, and my 3 UK sim worked there. I just returned from Senegal where it worked there as well. You do have to check the website to see what additional cost are. YMMV
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:12 am

Thanks for replies Silver Fox and Powerlifter.

3 does have a list of free roaming countries on its website. Morocco isn't one of them and paid roaming rates seem pretty high. I think I'll just get a separate sim card in Morocco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.