Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

smartphone unlocked to buy in US for use there and Israel -- is there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to take my phone experience to the next level!

Suggestions for (inexpensive?) smartphone i can buy in the US, use while on vacation there, and use with my regular SIM in Israel upon return?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: None anymore
Of course there is, with out knowing your definition of 'inexpensive' we have no idea what your budget is...
Any UNLOCKED iPhone on the GSM network*, I'd imagine from $200-$700
Any UNLOCKED Android based phone on the GSM network* from $75-$700

I'd check Amazon for the Android phones and maybe even the iPhone. Locally its hit or miss, could be a local cell phone shop or a mall or craigslist or a pawn shop...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flahusky
Of course there is, with out knowing your definition of 'inexpensive' we have no idea what your budget is...
Any UNLOCKED iPhone on the GSM network*, I'd imagine from $200-$700
Any UNLOCKED Android based phone on the GSM network* from $75-$700

I'd check Amazon for the Android phones and maybe even the iPhone.
Flahusky, great idea!

I'm leaning towards iPhone just because i don't have the time to put into research (though suggestions welcome!) and Amazon has a bunch. Some say att or verizon, even when under heading of unlocked phones. Is this what i want?/will this be OK?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by haniboo
Some say att or verizon, even when under heading of unlocked phones. Is this what i want?/will this be OK?
They say AT&T or Verizon because there are two different mobile networks in the U.S., GSM and CDMA. AT&T (and T-Mobile) use GSM. Verizon (and Sprint) use CDMA. Phones made for one network will not work on the other. If you want an unlocked phone that you can use outside the U.S., make sure you get one that will work on the network that country uses. Looks like GSM for Israel--also for Europe, not sure about other places.

Last edited by fwoomp; Dec 7, 2012 at 1:13 am Reason: More data
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:06 am

israel has great coma

Israel seems to be one of the few non usa countries that has great cdma service. ofcourse with that yo sim card choices is limited.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:28 am

Activating an unlocked iPhone on the CDMA side can be a trick. I would avoid it. If you are going to go forward, look at beigephone which activates difficult CDMA phones on PagePlus's MVNO of Verizon. E.g. you get the Verizon network but PagePlus provides the service.

On iPhone just remember that LTE has more flavors than Baskin Robins (an ice cream chain known for its many flavors). Buying it off the net might be a chore, but the knew Google Nexus 4 is about $350 and is a pentaband worldphone with great features and completely unlocked. Unfortunately, it will be hard to get in brick and mortar stores.

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

You can use the phone on TMobile or ATT at HSPA+ speeds (no LTE support), will support VOIP Over 3.5G, has a great navigation system, Google Now,and no carrier bloatware.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
My suggestion would be the Google Nexus 4 if you can find one. It is an excellent piece of kit, sold direct by Google.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by dogsrock
My suggestion would be the Google Nexus 4 if you can find one. It is an excellent piece of kit, sold direct by Google.
TMobile sells them unlocked and no contract, but at a ridiculous surcharge ($150 per phone) over Google.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
TMobile sells them unlocked and no contract, but at a ridiculous surcharge ($150 per phone) over Google.
Amazon UK still have them at 598.

Despite the sourcing problems some have had I ordered mine via Google (239 plus delivery) on Tuesday evening, December 4th. I was quoted 4/5 weeks delivery.....however it was actually delivered Thursday lunchtime, December 6th. I am based in the UK.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There are tons of unlocked iPhones for sale on eBay now. I just sold a iPhone 4 for $250. If you'll settle for Android or non-smartphone the prices go down from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.