Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Hackers claim 12 million Apple IDs from FBI

http://news.yahoo.com/hacker-groups-...141440411.html
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:23 pm

Yep, saw it and immediately changed my password!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
FBI saying it never had the data in the first place
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:55 pm

This web site will help you locate the UUID of your iPad, iPhone, etc.
This web site will tell you if your UUID was exposed. Don't paste in all digits of your UUID; leave off the last four or five digits.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
deleted lookup sites posted while I was tying.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What good does it do to a hacker to have a device ID? They have no access to your device, nor your password?

Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
What good does it do to a hacker to have a device ID? They have no access to your device, nor your password?

Two things come to mind.

1) Why does the FBI have this data, and what are they doing with it?

2) The data apparently contains more than just UUID's:

"Also notice that they claim to have fullname, addresses, phone numbers etc... Big ouch!" he tweeted."

Of course, this would not be the first time a hacker group makes claims like this with nothing to back it up. For all we know, the "FBI agent" was a developer with a log of all users on his laptop.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by planemechanic

They also said

The file, according to the hackers, contained a list of more than 12 million Apple iOS devices, including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, names of devices, types of devices, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, ZIP codes, cellphone numbers, and addresses.

That's more than enough information to send messages to those 12 million people through their device asking them to confirm their account information, credit card info, whatever. Even if only 1% of the people fall for the scam, that's still over 100,000 people.

I would bet a simple text with a link to change your password referencing this story would be enough to fool a good amount of the apple owners.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ScottC
Two things come to mind.

1) Why does the FBI have this data, and what are they doing with it?

2) The data apparently contains more than just UUID's:

"Also notice that they claim to have fullname, addresses, phone numbers etc... Big ouch!" he tweeted."

Of course, this would not be the first time a hacker group makes claims like this with nothing to back it up. For all we know, the "FBI agent" was a developer with a log of all users on his laptop.
The Feds are now denying this has anything to do with them, so unless you're correct (with the developer theory) it was possibly another three letter Gov agency but I'm expecting the hackers will now want to provide proof of where they actually got it given the denial.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tonerman
FBI saying it never had the data in the first place
I wouldn't take that statement at face value. A lot of what the FBI has even the FBI Director doesn't even know it has. And the FBI uses lying and deception quite routinely to try to get its way.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by cordelli
They also said

The file, according to the hackers, contained a list of more than 12 million Apple iOS devices, including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, names of devices, types of devices, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, ZIP codes, cellphone numbers, and addresses.

That's more than enough information to send messages to those 12 million people through their device asking them to confirm their account information, credit card info, whatever. Even if only 1% of the people fall for the scam, that's still over 100,000 people.

I would bet a simple text with a link to change your password referencing this story would be enough to fool a good amount of the apple owners.
Yeah I'd say that is very likely given I've got personal experience of a friend falling for the same thing. Sadly I know someone (who is an Apple owner not that that really matters in their case) who fell for the Hotmail reset password link in an email. They were very surprised a few days later when their account started spewing malware links etc. and asked me what to do. Fortunately the password hadn't been reset once the account was compromised so it was easy to change it to something else.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't take that statement at face value. A lot of what the FBI has even the FBI Director doesn't even know it has. And the FBI uses lying and deception quite routinely to try to get its way.
Heard some tech expert on the radio say the files probably came from Apple, not the Feds, and that this release is politically motivated. It's not as if hackers can be regarded as upright individuals incapable of a dishonest act...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Heard some tech expert on the radio say the files probably came from Apple, not the Feds, and that this release is politically motivated. It's not as if hackers can be regarded as upright individuals incapable of a dishonest act...
Flip sides of the same coin.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-udids-lea...94/?s_cid=e550

A small Florida-based publishing firm told NBC News in an exclusive interview that it was in fact the source of the million-record database of unique Apple device identification numbers that were leaked by hackers associated with Anonymous last week.

Guess that settles that

Unless the government is paying them to be a scapegoat.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cordelli
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-udids-lea...94/?s_cid=e550

A small Florida-based publishing firm told NBC News in an exclusive interview that it was in fact the source of the million-record database of unique Apple device identification numbers that were leaked by hackers associated with Anonymous last week.

Guess that settles that

Unless the government is paying them to be a scapegoat.
Took them long enough to take responsibility.

The FBI gets data -- sans warrants -- from lots of private companies without making them scapegoats, let alone paying them to be scapegoats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.