FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Hackers claim 12 million Apple IDs from FBI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1384269-hackers-claim-12-million-apple-ids-fbi.html)

rankourabu Sep 4, 2012 3:42 pm

Hackers claim 12 million Apple IDs from FBI

http://news.yahoo.com/hacker-groups-...141440411.html

dtsm Sep 4, 2012 4:23 pm

Yep, saw it and immediately changed my password!

tonerman Sep 4, 2012 4:42 pm

FBI saying it never had the data in the first place

boberonicus Sep 4, 2012 4:55 pm

This web site will help you locate the UUID of your iPad, iPhone, etc.
This web site will tell you if your UUID was exposed. Don't paste in all digits of your UUID; leave off the last four or five digits.

cordelli Sep 4, 2012 4:57 pm

deleted lookup sites posted while I was tying.

planemechanic Sep 4, 2012 5:39 pm

What good does it do to a hacker to have a device ID? They have no access to your device, nor your password?

:confused::confused:

ScottC Sep 4, 2012 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 19253588)
What good does it do to a hacker to have a device ID? They have no access to your device, nor your password?

Two things come to mind.

1) Why does the FBI have this data, and what are they doing with it?

2) The data apparently contains more than just UUID's:

"Also notice that they claim to have fullname, addresses, phone numbers etc... Big ouch!" he tweeted."

Of course, this would not be the first time a hacker group makes claims like this with nothing to back it up. For all we know, the "FBI agent" was a developer with a log of all users on his laptop.

cordelli Sep 4, 2012 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic (Post 19253588)

They also said

The file, according to the hackers, contained a list of more than 12 million Apple iOS devices, including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, names of devices, types of devices, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, ZIP codes, cellphone numbers, and addresses.

That's more than enough information to send messages to those 12 million people through their device asking them to confirm their account information, credit card info, whatever. Even if only 1% of the people fall for the scam, that's still over 100,000 people.

I would bet a simple text with a link to change your password referencing this story would be enough to fool a good amount of the apple owners.

Jimmie76 Sep 4, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 19253727)
Two things come to mind.

1) Why does the FBI have this data, and what are they doing with it?

2) The data apparently contains more than just UUID's:

"Also notice that they claim to have fullname, addresses, phone numbers etc... Big ouch!" he tweeted."

Of course, this would not be the first time a hacker group makes claims like this with nothing to back it up. For all we know, the "FBI agent" was a developer with a log of all users on his laptop.

The Feds are now denying this has anything to do with them, so unless you're correct (with the developer theory) it was possibly another three letter Gov agency but I'm expecting the hackers will now want to provide proof of where they actually got it given the denial.

GUWonder Sep 4, 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by tonerman (Post 19253290)
FBI saying it never had the data in the first place

I wouldn't take that statement at face value. A lot of what the FBI has even the FBI Director doesn't even know it has. And the FBI uses lying and deception quite routinely to try to get its way.

Jimmie76 Sep 4, 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 19254113)
They also said

The file, according to the hackers, contained a list of more than 12 million Apple iOS devices, including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, names of devices, types of devices, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, ZIP codes, cellphone numbers, and addresses.

That's more than enough information to send messages to those 12 million people through their device asking them to confirm their account information, credit card info, whatever. Even if only 1% of the people fall for the scam, that's still over 100,000 people.

I would bet a simple text with a link to change your password referencing this story would be enough to fool a good amount of the apple owners.

Yeah I'd say that is very likely given I've got personal experience of a friend falling for the same thing. Sadly I know someone (who is an Apple owner not that that really matters in their case) who fell for the Hotmail reset password link in an email. They were very surprised a few days later when their account started spewing malware links etc. and asked me what to do. Fortunately the password hadn't been reset once the account was compromised so it was easy to change it to something else.

CDTraveler Sep 5, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 19254291)
I wouldn't take that statement at face value. A lot of what the FBI has even the FBI Director doesn't even know it has. And the FBI uses lying and deception quite routinely to try to get its way.

Heard some tech expert on the radio say the files probably came from Apple, not the Feds, and that this release is politically motivated. It's not as if hackers can be regarded as upright individuals incapable of a dishonest act...

GUWonder Sep 5, 2012 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 19257174)
Heard some tech expert on the radio say the files probably came from Apple, not the Feds, and that this release is politically motivated. It's not as if hackers can be regarded as upright individuals incapable of a dishonest act...

Flip sides of the same coin.

cordelli Sep 10, 2012 3:39 pm

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-udids-lea...94/?s_cid=e550

A small Florida-based publishing firm told NBC News in an exclusive interview that it was in fact the source of the million-record database of unique Apple device identification numbers that were leaked by hackers associated with Anonymous last week.

Guess that settles that

Unless the government is paying them to be a scapegoat. :D

GUWonder Sep 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 19290163)
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-udids-lea...94/?s_cid=e550

A small Florida-based publishing firm told NBC News in an exclusive interview that it was in fact the source of the million-record database of unique Apple device identification numbers that were leaked by hackers associated with Anonymous last week.

Guess that settles that

Unless the government is paying them to be a scapegoat. :D

Took them long enough to take responsibility.

The FBI gets data -- sans warrants -- from lots of private companies without making them scapegoats, let alone paying them to be scapegoats.