Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Totally confused...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Totally confused...

I read so many posts in this forum about cell phones to use overseas that I am now overloaded with info and completely confused. I just don't know what to do now. Can someone tell me what phone to use and where to get it to use for my trip to Greece, Ireland, and Scotland next week? I only want to use it for emergency purposes - to receive and make calls. I don't need a fancy phone, and will not need it for texting or browsing the internet. Thank you.

Last edited by Noveluver; Aug 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reason: To make my inquiry clearer.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
What is your location, and what phone/carrier do you have now?

Most any GSM phone sold in the last few years will work in Europe. If you are in the US and use AT&T or T-Mobile, your existing phone will probably work. You may need to call them to enable international service. It will be expensive (probably around $2 and $.50 text), but if you only need it for an emergency that is probably not a big deal and not worth the hassle of finding an unlocked phone and prepaid SIM.

If you do not have a GSM phone, you will need an unlocked quad band phone. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap, but you may not have time if you are leaving next week. Signing up for a new plan with a local carrier also may not work, as they will probably have a waiting period for international service to prevent fraud.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
While there's a lot to be said about planning ahead, if you're just wanting it for emergencies and the whatnot then there's another option, depending on how comfortable you feel and how much time you want to spend.

Wait until you get there.
Go down to one of the ubiquitous phone shops and get the cheapest phone you can find. (Just took a look on amazon.de and you should be able to find a used nokia for under €15)
Buy the cheapest sim you can find (in Ireland many will even give you free credit, check out Meteor or 3)
Charge the phone up overnight
Good to go.

Alternatively, if you have your first night's accommodation booked, you can ask them if you can have something delivered and get the cheapest phone you can find on Amazon or some place similar sent there. Then you don't even have so much a language barrier if one exists.

I know that at least this worked the last time my parents were over, and they said it was easy enough.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:59 am
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Noveluver
I read so many posts in this forum about cell phones to use overseas that I am now overloaded with info and completely confused. I just don't know what to do now. Can someone tell me what phone to use and where to get it to use for my trip to Greece, Ireland, and Scotland next week? I only want to use it for emergency purposes - to receive and make calls. I don't need a fancy phone, and will not need it for texting or browsing the internet. Thank you.
It's really only as confusing and difficult as you want to make it. Before you go read up a little bit on it.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
many of the cheap phones are locked to the Cell Provider , even in Europe ,
they sell the phone at a loss but make it up because now you are a customer,

Make sure you get an unlocked one so you can use other countries Sim Cards in it, thats where a private phone shop can help and not a Company Store.

if you live in a decent size USA city you might want to stop by a private phone shop and see what they have for sale, many of the old AT+T Motorola phones are quad band and can be unlocked to use in Europe,

I use an old T-mobile Motorola flip phone that has been unlocked ,

Soarer
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Any suggestions for an unlocked GSM to take ot Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand.

Would like to stay in the $100 range.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Noveluver
Do you not have a cell phone now? Chances are, if it's been bought within the last 5 or so years, it's a quad-band GSM. (If you're not sure, just Google the specs.) If you're only going to use for emergencies, I'd just use my existing cell phone. There's really no need to buy another phone.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Any suggestions for an unlocked GSM to take ot Hong Kong, Macau and Thailand.

Would like to stay in the $100 range.
Assuming you just want to use it as a phone only (you didn't specify) - Check your local Craigslist and get virtually any clam-shell phone for about $50 or lower. Check with a reliable online phone unlocking service (I've used cellunlock.net many times) to make sure it can be unlocked before you buy it. If so, get the phone, pay the $20 (or less) to unlock, and there's your solution.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by Braindrain

Assuming you just want to use it as a phone only (you didn't specify) - Check your local Craigslist and get virtually any clam-shell phone for about $50 or lower. Check with a reliable online phone unlocking service (I've used cellunlock.net many times) to make sure it can be unlocked before you buy it. If so, get the phone, pay the $20 (or less) to unlock, and there's your solution.
You need an AT+T phone because its GSM , just make sure its quad band ,
T-Mobile will also work but probably not in 3G because T-mobile uses another frequancy,

Or if you have the time just buy a new unlocked no name one off Ebay from HongKong / China

Soarer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.