Wiki Posts
Search

Home Wifi Problem...frustrating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
We're not having any speed issues at all.

BUT, the only item we have never replaced is the actual cable modem, which is now about 17 years old.

Should we, as a preventative, just ask the cable company to give us a newer model cable modem?
If it's not broke, don't fix it without a valid reason. The new modems may give them more testing ability and additional protocols or something, but you could always get a new one should something happen to this one.

If it lasts another year or two or five, that's five years more technology that won't be passing you by when it's time to replace it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by krpjr
I'll reply when I get back to my desk, however, there are many things to factor in here...

Also I may have missed it on my phone here but I don't recall you mentioning if this only happens when you use your computer and if you are on wireless as well?
I am on wireless. My wife isn't 100% certain, but we believe that it goes down even when me/my laptop is not here.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by frankmu
I had our cable company check the connection between their fiber cable and my coax connection at the utility pole. It turned out to be flaky, and the replacement fixed it. This happened after a particularly hard freeze. The cable modem will keep a log, have you checked it (your instruction manual will give you an IP address to its internal web page)?
The modem is a replacement that I just got about a week ago and, alas, no manual or instructions. Is there a typical IP address for modems? This is an Ambit U10C018. What? Ambit? What?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyroo
If you can separate your internal network from the external one, this might help a lot. Your cable connection would be a Motorola Surfboard (or such), and it should only connect to the internet - it should do nothing else. Make sure wireless and NAT are turned "off" on your cable connection device (if it has such functionality).

The big problem with many cable modems that also do local network functions is their NAT table fills up quickly, this could well be your problem. You have a lot of devices connecting, so your modem should do none of this work.

Your router should have a WAN port (I don't know if the AAX has an incoming WAN port?), which means it takes the internet connection from the cable modem via ethernet cable. Your router (not modem) should then handle all internal networking via ethernet and wireless.
I believe this is how I'm set up, but how could I tell for certain? I'm not sure what the NAT table is, but it sounds interesting to pursue.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:34 pm

I'm curious - your location says Charlotte, but you mentioned a local government owned system. Any chance you are a bit north of Charlotte (hint-my user name), as I have the same exact problem.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davidson
I'm curious - your location says Charlotte, but you mentioned a local government owned system. Any chance you are a bit north of Charlotte (hint-my user name), as I have the same exact problem.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Are you really having the same problem.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
The advice to connect your own wifi router the cable modem is good.

Also, sometimes the problem is that the connection is good, but dns service (to resolve names of web sites and such to IP network addresses) from the cable company os flakey. Set up your wifi router to use opendns (go to opendns.org to get the scoop).

Another problem could be strength of signal from the coax to the modem. Consider getting a signal amplifier.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Are you really having the same problem.
Same problem. Are you any chance on the lake, right at exit 30?

Would be pretty weird to find a neighbor on this board!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cables can be bad. Last year I replaced the cable feeding the neighbor's cable modem because the modem wouldn't stay locked on using it.

I have repeatedly seen "dropped" connections here but it's really a software problem somewhere, I have never managed to prove where. By all tests it's dropped--except already open connections are unaffected, the data continues to flow. It often fixes itself in 30 seconds or so, sometimes it needs a modem reset.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: Platinum
The modem is a replacement that I just got about a week ago and, alas, no manual or instructions. Is there a typical IP address for modems? This is an Ambit U10C018. What? Ambit? What?
I google it, and came up with this PDF file: http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...y.xbin?id=2105

Point your web browser to this address: 192.168.100.1

(the info may not be of much help for you... I just remembered that I called the cable company after noting one of the blinking lights on my cable modem was red instead of green )

From the documentation, your cable modem might be DOCSIS 1.0 (the original standard). You might get a bump in speed if you change your cable modem (may have to pay more)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:20 am

This is an Ambit U10C018. What? Ambit? What?
Yup that is the problem. I had it a few months ago and had the exact same issue, even though I had a dd-wrt flashed Asus rt-n16 router in the front end supporting about 12 IP devices. dd-wrt mitigated the issue initially but it was obvious after a while that the Cable modem itself was an issue. Did a search and read on dslreports about many people complaining about the Ambit, got it swapped with a Motorola SBG6580 (wireless disbaled/bridged mode) and that did it.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:36 pm

I had the same issue. Frequent dropped connection even when directly wired into the router from my desktop PC. Here is what I did to solve the problem:

1) Bought a fan for the router (http://tinyurl.com/caknrc9)
2) Run the tests on DSLreports.com (Line quality and smoke ping)
3) Sign up for 24x7 monitoring service on DSLreports.com.

The results for me indicated that the line quality was good. There were no problems with the pings. Monthly monitoring over the last few months also was good. But once I added the fan to the router, almost all of the dropped signals vanished.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Wow...a fan for the modem! Who'd 've thunk it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.