Wiki Posts
Search

Does ATT GO Phone speed cap, 3g and 4g?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Does ATT GO Phone speed cap, 3g and 4g?

I'm thinking of going from my postpaid account to a prepaid unlimited plan and was wondering, If ATT limits its data speed for GO customers? I also would like to know, if you are out of contract can you port your number to GO?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
I'm thinking of going from my postpaid account to a prepaid unlimited plan and was wondering, If ATT limits its data speed for GO customers? I also would like to know, if you are out of contract can you port your number to GO?

Thanks
I'm really not trying to be a smartss, but have you called T to ask if you can convert your billed account to a prepaid account?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weekilter
I'm really not trying to be a smartss, but have you called T to ask if you can convert your billed account to a prepaid account?
No I haven't.. I know someone who went from sprint to virgin mobile to T-mobile.. They were allowed to port their number. My guess is, ATT would allow one to do so, but before I get there, I need to know if 3g and 4g speeds are capped on GO accounts.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Don't you have to pay for the data you use on the Go Phones? If you are paying for data in increments, they won't cut back your speed, just keep on charging you.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Don't you have to pay for the data you use on the Go Phones? If you are paying for data in increments, they won't cut back your speed, just keep on charging you.
For $50 you get unlimited data + unlimited talk & text. I'm thinking off getting a 4G phone. After that, I want to port my number to GO or find some way to port my number and set up a Go plan.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
My bad,
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:40 pm

hm i didnt know att go phone had 4g im using straight talk with my iphone but it only has 3g
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by ewrfox
For $50 you get unlimited data + unlimited talk & text. I'm thinking off getting a 4G phone. After that, I want to port my number to GO or find some way to port my number and set up a Go plan.
Unlimited data is not for smartphones, which is a bit misleading. They will sell you a data plan of 1GB for $25 a month.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Unlimited data is not for smartphones, which is a bit misleading. They will sell you a data plan of 1GB for $25 a month.
Also, officially, you need the $25/$50 monthly plan before you can purchase data feature packages. However, you can call-in (it's not an option on the website), to switch to the $1/day AT&T mobile to mobile plan, which allows you to purchase data packages.

For more info, see:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post14847953
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
There's also a note on one of their pages that indicates that you CANNOT use a 4G device on GoPhone. That corresponds to some reports in other forums. Doesn't matter that you plan to limit use to 3G, if the device supports 4G it is supposedly blocked.

Certainly presents a problem for folks getting the Galaxy Nexus (unlocked) intending to use it on GoPhone.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sounds like you would do much better using one of the ATT MVNO products (Straight Talk, H20 Wireless & Red Pocket to name a few)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
You might want to see my thread on AT&T GoPhone. Basically, I was told that I wouldn't be able to use a >3G phone for date. Not that my fast phone would be slowed down to 3G speeds, but that it wouldn't work.

I instead opted for StraightTalk, which apparently uses the AT&T network but without the speed caps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.