Community
Wiki Posts
Search

navigation app for andriod phone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

navigation app for andriod phone?

I am looking for an app that can do turn by turn navigation. I am hoping it can use google map and can be used across the world (esp in asia) without data connection. I tried the google map navigation that came with the phone, but it was not able to navigate without data. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
That really bugs me. We can download and cache maps on GM, but it has to use the server for directions to feed navigation.

Well I always get a local SIM now, but it still bugs me.

And I will not pay for other apps. Other posters will list them. I had one that came with my HTC phone that was free for 30 days and then it costs money.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
there are a few iPhone apps that download the maps to your phone ,
I am pretty sure they are in the Android market too,

one was CoPilot

Soarer
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Waze!

you still need to be connected, but it rocks.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

I may be visiting some places (ie villages) with no data connection. So I am hoping a gps app will help me from getting lost. I don't mind paying up to a reasonable amount. I will check out copilot thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Originally Posted by kenwood
I may be visiting some places (ie villages) with no data connection. So I am hoping a gps app will help me from getting lost. I don't mind paying up to a reasonable amount. I will check out copilot thanks.
I just happened to download CoPilot on my other iPhone today , there are maps for USA, Canada , Europe , Australia.New Zealand but I did not see any for Asia.
You can only download one map set for free so it just matters how much memory you want to use on your phone .

Soarer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Amazon Prime
A +1 for Waze here too. Superb app - although I use the iPhone version. I'm sure the Android version is just as good.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I use CoPilot. Maps are downloaded and works just like a Garmin. I had to use it recently when I got lost driving in Orlando. ^
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:22 pm

Using Navfree USA for my Nexus 7. Does turn by turn but not text to speech. Great for when you're w/o data connection.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:43 am

I have also just started looking for a GPS solution that does not use cellular data. Check out the recent Brighthand.com review...'Seven Paid GPS Apps for Android OS Phones'. It may help you.

From the user comments I've read Sygic GPS Navigation is highly recommended. However Sygic did not fare well in that Brighthand shootout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.