Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Droid 4 doesn't find any signal whatsoever in London. Used stock sim
This might explain why http://www.phonedog.com/2012/01/11/l...ter-this-year/
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Trying to roam with the SIM that Verizon gave you?

What about trying a local SIM, or are Droid 4s locked?

Aren't the VZW versions of the iPhone 4S unlocked?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Aren't the VZW versions of the iPhone 4S unlocked?
No, but they will unlock them subject to the usual condition of being a customer for x days, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Doesn't sound like there are any murmurs of the global roaming feature on the Droid 4 being unlocked before June. Has anyone heard anything else?

Kind of frustrating since one of the reasons I bought the phone in the first place was for that eventual functionality, but I knew the risk of that not actually happening in a timely fashion when I went in. So for now I'm researching alternative plans!

Totally off-topic, but has anyone used phone rental on Verizon's Global Travel Program? Seems like it's an easy solution, but I'm curious if it's as easy as they say.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Totally off-topic, but has anyone used phone rental on Verizon's Global Travel Program? Seems like it's an easy solution, but I'm curious if it's as easy as they say.
Haven't tried their program because I found it more economical for me to buy a $150 unlocked HTC Status to get an unlocked android phone with QWERTY. Then I spent about $15 on prepaid sim & data service in the UK for 10 days.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Haven't tried their program because I found it more economical for me to buy a $150 unlocked HTC Status to get an unlocked android phone with QWERTY. Then I spent about $15 on prepaid sim & data service in the UK for 10 days.
That's the other option I'm considering! I know your way will work, but part of my travels puts me in France; a country notorious for their less-than-favorable prepaid data rates. Verizon may end up being the better option there, but I'm just trying to weigh my options!
Old May 24, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...d-smartphones/

Looks like there might finally be some movement on getting global roaming enabled on the Droid 4, Razr, Razr Maxx, and HTC Rezound.

It's probably not gonna happen before a trip of mine starting June 5th, but at least it's happening.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:56 pm

I use my Verizon LTE iPad in Canada on Telus at HSPA+ speeds and the difference isn't that great than when I'm on LTE in the US. I did a Skype video call on HSPA+ on my iPad and it was surprisingly good.

In my mind, the issue isn't so much the difference with this generation, but rather the next of LTE.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I use my Verizon LTE iPad in Canada on Telus at HSPA+ speeds and the difference isn't that great than when I'm on LTE in the US. I did a Skype video call on HSPA+ on my iPad and it was surprisingly good.

In my mind, the issue isn't so much the difference with this generation, but rather the next of LTE.
The point of this thread is for those of us with Verizon LTE phones, we would like to be able to use them outside the US on GSM networks. At any speed. Right now, it isn't possible. I had an HSPA+ Atrix before my Droid 4 and I agree, the practical speed difference isn't a significant factor, and the HSPA+ battery life is better. But I can't even pop in a SIM card to get EDGE speed on my Droid 4....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.