Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CES 2012: D-Link DIR-505 Wireless N travel router + USB charger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert
No mention of voltage supported, which means it's most likely going to be 110 volts only, and thus useless in most of the world outside of the US.

Hope not, wanted to buy one of these
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
The older ones did 100-240, I would have a hard time thinking they would

A: step back from a previous spec
B: make a TRAVEL router that required a second power convertor.

I'll be very surprised if they produce something that is either 110 or 220 only.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'll be very surprised if they produce something that is either 110 or 220 only.
+1

For any portable device, universal voltage can't possibly be that hard nor that expensive to build in. A uni-voltage microwave oven? Sure. A travel router? Can't see it as it just doesn't make good business sense.

Then again, the same could be said of folding plugs ...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've soured on Internet from hotels. Often overpriced and underperforming.

I guess if you're traveling on business and the company picks up the tab, a travel router can make sense.

But for international leisure travel, unless you're staying at a big chain (and even then), it seems a Mifi would be more useful, often better speeds too.

Once, I stayed at a nice hotel in Sorrento which only had ethernet but they just handed you an Airport Express. Well the ethernet happened to be behind this little armoire that had a nice table for holding the MacBook Pro so I didn't bother with the Airport Express.

But Internet was free so it was okay. I think Mifi, especially in Italy, is more useful because prepaid data is so affordable and the networks are fast. You can tell use the Mifi with a smart phone when you're out for the day and at night in the hotel room.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Nothing else uses 2 amps to charge except iPad, so manufacturers don't make their USB chargers capable of it.
HP Touchpads also require 2 amps.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
As for your wireless charging thing, there are people working on that. Inductive charging is the first step. http://powermat.com/ You put a special adapter on your phone, and you set it on a special mat. The mat is connected to power, but you never have to plug your phone into anything, just set it on the mat. I've seen a few stories about other companies showing these off at CES.
A number of phones have this feature either built-in or available as an optional back for the phone. My Droid Bionic and my wife's HTC Droid 2 both have inductive charging. I have a nice little inductive charger by Energizer that will charge two devices at once. When we come home, we just drop our phones on the charger -- very convenient.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:21 am

Indeed portable internet through broadband is great. One clear issue though is that often in a hotel room the windows are double paned for sound proofing and with 4G broadband at least that can make the 4G connection essentially useless. Most 4G companies will tell you that a well sound proofed and double paned window can kill or cancel much of the connection. I've often had to try and open a window or put the device strategically in between windows or edge of the wall in order to even get a connection.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought LTE was using some longer wavelengths. Either Verizon or AT&T is around 700 Mhz and one of the bands supported in Europe will be 800 Mhz.

Those are suppose to penetrate buildings better than higher wavelengths like 1800 Mhz.

Interoperability will be more of an issue with LTE, which supports more bands than UMTS. Verizon and AT&T will try to prevent LTE devices from being interoperable on each other's networks.

It'll be interesting what Apple does with LTE. They have the clout to tell these carriers to get bent and they'd be interested in one SKU for both networks and the world but if their LTE networks don't have overlapping spectrum or the LTE base bands doesn't support enough bands, we may go back to 2 sets of SKUs.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I thought LTE was using some longer wavelengths. Either Verizon or AT&T is around 700 Mhz and one of the bands supported in Europe will be 800 Mhz.

Those are suppose to penetrate buildings better than higher wavelengths like 1800 Mhz.

Interoperability will be more of an issue with LTE, which supports more bands than UMTS. Verizon and AT&T will try to prevent LTE devices from being interoperable on each other's networks.

It'll be interesting what Apple does with LTE. They have the clout to tell these carriers to get bent and they'd be interested in one SKU for both networks and the world but if their LTE networks don't have overlapping spectrum or the LTE base bands doesn't support enough bands, we may go back to 2 sets of SKUs.
I've heard of this problem with WiMax, but never with LTE (and it's not an issue on my Verizon LTE phone).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I've heard of this problem with WiMax, but never with LTE (and it's not an issue on my Verizon LTE phone).
Wimax uses 2.5GHz while LTE is in the standard cellular bandwidths (and 700 MHz, I think).

But I maintain that, far more important in an urban environment is the proximity to the nearest cell tower.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:15 pm

Indeed with wider band LTE or 4G frequencies you shouldn't experience this but even with 1800-1900 4G I think one will.

The high freq companies like Clear and legacy Sprint devices and I believe older embedded intel systems will be in the Higher frequency ranges. And most of european mobile broadband spectrum allocated for wireless broadband is in the higher frequency ranges I believe.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Indeed with wider band LTE or 4G frequencies you shouldn't experience this but even with 1800-1900 4G I think one will.

The high freq companies like Clear and legacy Sprint devices and I believe older embedded intel systems will be in the Higher frequency ranges. And most of european mobile broadband spectrum allocated for wireless broadband is in the higher frequency ranges I believe.
That makes sense, and also explains why I don't have problems with Verizon.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I just searched the DLink website and the DIR-505 product still isn't available for sale.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I just searched the DLink website and the DIR-505 product still isn't available for sale.
20 more days before you can complain that they broke their promise
Old May 20, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
It's out! $100 RRP, $70 street.

Datasheet has been updated and it is indeed 110-240 volts!

Previously I would have said the WL-330GE was a much better deal at their usual $15-30, but they seem to be EOL now and the replacement WL-330N/WL-330N3G are $50+ which levels things out a bit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.