Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
... audio quality is HORRIBLE ...
Depends upon the channel. The quality of the feed for the jazz and classical channels is excellent. I agree it's not that great for the more pop-oriented channels.

The receiver you're using has more influence on audio quality than anything else.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Depends upon the channel. The quality of the feed for the jazz and classical channels is excellent. I agree it's not that great for the more pop-oriented channels.

The receiver you're using has more influence on audio quality than anything else.
It also depends on the quality of the original audio source. I listen to the Met Opera channel exclusively, and pretty much 100% on my phone using the iPhone app fed into the car audio over Bluetooth which I tweak slightly depending on which rental car I'm in and the audio options. Live performances sounds pretty stellar, and more recent recordings of the last 10 years sound great, but the further back in the archives they go, the worse the sound. I can only assume other stations are probably using less than perfect source material, perhaps pushing out MP3 files instead of actual audio sources like a LP, lossless digital or CD, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:51 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Data point. Pretty seamless renewal today. Made my annual call since my annual sub was going from $113 to $230. First guy said, "sorry, nothing I can do" so I asked to be transferred to the cancellation department. Second lady on line in a few seconds, and immediately offered to drop back to my level for a new year sub at $114. All in all about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by gwade
Data point. Pretty seamless renewal today. Made my annual call since my annual sub was going from $113 to $230. First guy said, "sorry, nothing I can do" so I asked to be transferred to the cancellation department. Second lady on line in a few seconds, and immediately offered to drop back to my level for a new year sub at $114. All in all about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Yeah, that's the cadence I'm at now. The six month for $30 deal is obviously better, but haggling twice a year to save $40/year is just not worth my time. Plus, the last time I was on that timetable, I missed the cutoff date and they starting billing me ~ $20 / month.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Six months for $30 (plus taxes and fees) with a $5 instant credit. $28.33 was charged to my credit card.
How did you get the $5 instant credit? I've never received that.

Last time I called I got a really good rep. I told her I wanted the same $30/6 month offer I had, and if I could not get it I would cancel. She was able to get it for me and the call was fairly painless, other than the time it took her to process the renewal and payment for my two radios.

One thing I've learned is that if you call and get someone who does not have an American accent, hang up and call again. Their off-shore reps are either unable to offer the discounted rate, or just won't allow themselves to switch to the different script. I've generally been able to get to a US rep by saying "cancel my service" in the voice prompt menu. Also, be sure to tell them that you want to make a one-time payment and not leave your card on file for future charges. That way you avoid having them charge you (at regular price) when its up for renewal.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MisterBill
How did you get the $5 instant credit? I've never received that.

Last time I called I got a really good rep. I told her I wanted the same $30/6 month offer I had, and if I could not get it I would cancel. She was able to get it for me and the call was fairly painless, other than the time it took her to process the renewal and payment for my two radios.
I said I got 6 months for $25 last time. IIRC, the CSR spoke with his manager, and the manager approved a $5 instant credit combined with the 6 months for $30 deal.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When I bought my car, I decided I would just leave it on till the service was turned off and then I'd call and get a deal.

Still going.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Its pretty much impossible. Once my trial ended on my last car that came with it, I got a tip from a coworker to create an account on their website with the information on my car; logged in; changed ALL my information such as physical address; email address; and telephone numbers. This immediately ceased all garbage spam emails and postal mail. Worked like a charm.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:14 am

I had a one year free subscription when I bought my last car. I got periodic phone calls and emails offering me deals to re-subscribe, along with postal mail every other month or so.

I had created an on-line account for the use of the Android streaming app while subscribed, and that had options for contact preferences. I unchecked everything and haven't been bothered since. With the plethora of audiobooks, free music and podcasts that can be played through my car's audio system via the bluetooth connection with my phone, I can't think of a time where I've remotely considered re-subscribing.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I had a one year free subscription when I bought my last car. I got periodic phone calls and emails offering me deals to re-subscribe, along with postal mail every other month or so.

I had created an on-line account for the use of the Android streaming app while subscribed, and that had options for contact preferences. I unchecked everything and haven't been bothered since. With the plethora of audiobooks, free music and podcasts that can be played through my car's audio system via the bluetooth connection with my phone, I can't think of a time where I've remotely considered re-subscribing.
I had the same when I bought my car and they were bothering me for months too.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:07 am

Sirius XM auto renewal and removing credit card

I’ve decided to leave Sirius XM. The only station I listen to is Liquid Metal and Ozzy's Boneyard. I now listen to Apple Music and create my own playlists. Sirius won’t let me remove my credit card number without replacing another with another card. They won’t let me get a paper invoice as they said I have a special rate. I stream only as there is no sat radio in my car.

The sound quality is so is so much better with Apple.

Do I need to call my credit card issuer and report card lost to get a new card with a new number? Would Sirius XM then try to bill the new card even without a new number? This is very frustrating. I’m using a Capital One 360 card, if that matters.

BTW, I get free Spotify through my daughter.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Jun 1, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:54 am

You need to call them and cancel. Technically you have agreed to pay for the service, even if the card expires. They will try to keep billing you.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:00 pm

I called to cancel. They of course tried to play their usual games on me. It will not auto renew.
I called my credit card issuer and they placed a block on SiriusXM and issued me a complete new card with new numbers. Note: before the call I did an online chat to d/c auto renew and cancel. Was told it won’t auto renew but that I would need to cancel. I have a copy of the chat, of course.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:40 am

This is one reason I would never sign up with them , you are not the only one with this problem.
Weird business plan , they hope you never look and it autopays month after month.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:05 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Just call and cancel your service. I have done that before and other than listening to their retaining offer, the cancellation went through and my card was not charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.