Slingbox Optimization

Old Aug 29, 11, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
Slingbox Optimization

I've just started using my Slingbox with my Tivo while traveling.

Curious to others' experiences with performance, etc. Most lounge wifi is decent but doesn't stream that great. Best performance has been in hotels using hardwire.

Anyone have experience trying to stream with in-flight wifi or tips/tricks to increase quality?

FYI using Win 7 machine, 3GB RAM, 2.2GHz dual core T4400
Old Aug 29, 11, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by SEABrad View Post
I've just started using my Slingbox with my Tivo while traveling.

Curious to others' experiences with performance, etc. Most lounge wifi is decent but doesn't stream that great. Best performance has been in hotels using hardwire.

Anyone have experience trying to stream with in-flight wifi or tips/tricks to increase quality?

FYI using Win 7 machine, 3GB RAM, 2.2GHz dual core T4400
Did you try it without Tivo? Not sure if that would create additional lag.
Old Aug 29, 11, 11:56 pm

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvLTG, PCAmb
Have tried to use it in flight a few times. I can usually get the picture for a sec, but then lots of freezes/lost signal (both on a PC and my iPad app). I don't think the bandwidth is really there for Slingbox in flight.
Old Aug 30, 11, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Are you sure you have good upstream bandwidth at home, like cable or highest speed DSL?
Old Aug 30, 11, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
Never crossed my mind about going directly from TV to Slingbox... duh. I'll give that a try when I get home.

IIRC I've got 20 down and about 10 up, which should be plenty. I wish I had my old service - I could pull 50+ up and almost 25 down.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Aug 30, 11, 10:22 am

Never crossed my mind about going directly from TV to Slingbox... duh. I'll give that a try when I get home.

IIRC I've got 20 down and about 10 up, which should be plenty. I wish I had my old service - I could pull 50+ up and almost 25 down.

Thanks for the responses.
You should be good. I have had friends that use Slingbox when traveling and have never had issues.
Old Aug 30, 11, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've got four slingboxes setup around the globe and can't say that the DVR that is in place has been produced and slowdown or streaming impact. Of course, CONTROL functions back to the DVR, channel changes, bring up list, setup recording, etc., take a second or two to respond, but it shouldn't affect the ultimate streaming performance.

Pretty much everywhere I go, I get the maximum out of my home, which is about 1MB. good enough for their "hd" stream from a slingbox proHD. Of course on a plane, I've simply put it down to low quality on purpose, or even just switched to audio if I'm trying to listen to something. Best thing on a plane I have found is simply to use one of the mobile apps, iphone, android, winmo, ipad, which will pretty much auto-throttle best performance based on your inbound stream quality.
Old Aug 30, 11, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Exclamation

This definitely will not make a difference. The Slingbox will stream whatever is coming through its video input port. Whether this is a DVR, a cable STB, DVD player, camcorder, etc doesn't matter at all.

If you have a fast Internet connection at home (10Mbps upstream is more than enough) then any performance issues are almost definitely related to the client bandwidth. Many connections are intentionally configured to limit per-session bandwidth to prevent the successful use of streaming connections like this. This is definitely the case on in-flight broadband services, and many lounge connections are just massively over-contended (or poorly designed) which makes anything more than basic browsing a challenge.

The type of connection you report success with - hotel wired connections - is exactly where I would expect it to work well, along with fast office / home Internet connections in other locations. Your experience sounds completely normal.
Old Aug 30, 11, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the answers.

I'll keep thinks status-quo and just enjoy the sub-par stream from the RCC and PC's.

Search this Thread