Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OSX Lion

Finally, it comes out, currently downloading it now, can't wait
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So far so good, I need to clean up a little bit since I organize my applications in custom folders. There are two annoying things I've encountered so far:

1. Backward scrolling - I prefer they give me options to do it either way. Being forced to adapt sucks big time.

2. Since my macbook still used the old trackpad, I can't use the 3 finger scrolling which make it difficult for me to move between spaces.

This link is helpful to make a disc backup of osx lion or install it on another mac without downloading it again. Do this first before you install it since the installation file will be automatically deleted after you install lion. http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...p-os/231002151
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Finally, it comes out, currently downloading it now, can't wait
What was your rush? Why not wait until the bugs have been found and corrected? I read about the annoying backwards scrolling from Walt Mossberg's review in today's Wall Street Journal. I don't like that; let's see if Apple reverses that change.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
What was your rush? Why not wait until the bugs have been found and corrected? I read about the annoying backwards scrolling from Walt Mossberg's review in today's Wall Street Journal. I don't like that; let's see if Apple reverses that change.
Didn't like it either, simple google search, click on preferences and fixed!
Jimbo

PS Loving Lion so far!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:12 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry, Ive been busy and not reading the reviews. Any performance boosts here? Ive heard about the iOS like UI changes, but I'm looking for better use of my 3rd party SSD in my MBP. Anything to tip the scales? Otherwise, I'll let the bugs shake out.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jwhite4304
Didn't like it either, simple google search, click on preferences and fixed!
Jimbo

PS Loving Lion so far!
Finally found the settings, down to one inconvenience now

What I liked so far:

- new Mail
- new Address book
- new iCal
- iChat is compatible with yahoo messenger
- Mission Control
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:18 pm

I plan on upgrading my MBP first and verifying that my accounting software works in Lion. If it does, then I'll upgrade my Mac Mini which is where I do most of my paperwork - I don't usually run the accounting s/w on the MBP so if it won't work there it's no big loss, but that means I won't be upgrading my Mac Mini because I can't afford to lose the ability to invoice customers.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:51 pm

I've been reading reviews and looking at its features. I don't like how the screen is cluttered with icons of apps. Since those apps are on the dock, why must they also clutter the screen? What is the purpose of mimicking the iPad since there is no touch screen on Macs?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Agreed and I will d/l and install it but not for a while for the very reason you state
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Downloaded and installed it today. Took way longer to install than I was expecting (then again my Mac is now 4 years old).

I have already turned off the backwards scrolling. Perhaps it would make some sense on a big trackpad though it was really annoying with a regular old mouse. The setting is really hard to find because it is poorly worded but it is the top check box option on either the trackpad or mouse page in settings (depending if you are on a laptop or not).

Launch pad is just plain stupid. I suppose I could take the time and organize it though I never see my self using it when I can just as quickly use a keyboard short cut to Spotlight and get to the app, or the app is in my dock already.

Mission control is so-so right now. I am really pissed it broke all the rules I had for Spaces. I liked certain apps to be in certain places. I have figured out how to lock certain apps to certain desktops now though it is still really annoying and it jumps around if you quit out of stuff in certain orders.

Resume I can already tell I am going to be more annoyed by than I will enjoy. I had a PDF open in Preview and I closed the app because I was done with it. I later opened a different PDF and the old one was still right there because I did not close that window and then quit the app.

The new Mail.app is not bad.

Full screen mode is totally over blown, especially when you are hooked up to a big monitor. I think Windows 7 has this so much more "right" with the snap features.

iChat has a new feature where it combines all your accounts into one window -- can't decide if I like this or not.

Safari still doesn't let you close tabs by middle clicking. I'll stick to FF. Chrome on my computer still has jerky scrolling.

A couple dashboard widgets are broken.

EDIT: If you enjoy Space and utilize it frequently, ie have rules set up for specific apps, steer clear of Lion.

Last edited by adambadam; Jul 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambadam

Mission control is so-so right now. I am really pissed it broke all the rules I had for Spaces. I liked certain apps to be in certain places. I have figured out how to lock certain apps to certain desktops now though it is still really annoying and it jumps around if you quit out of stuff in certain orders.
Hi adambadam, I also assigned certain apps to be in certain spaces. I found the function in Lion to do that. You just need to open the app, put them to the space that you want them to be and right click on the app's icon, go to option and choose 'assign to this desktop'. They also allow you to get an app follow you using 'assign to all desktop' which I find it handy for my ichat.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:52 am

There are some of us who still need to use snow leopard. Fortunately, you can run both 10.7.x and the new 10.8.x, if needed:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...&subj=MacFixIt

Personally, for now, I'll sit tight before upgrading.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I've been reading reviews and looking at its features. I don't like how the screen is cluttered with icons of apps. Since those apps are on the dock, why must they also clutter the screen? What is the purpose of mimicking the iPad since there is no touch screen on Macs?
They won't. Apple has a goal of aligning OSX and iOS so that apps will have the same look/feel across platforms. The dock is on its way out...

Fairly soon, there won't be a difference between a macbook and an ipad...give it 3 years or so.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by skofarrell
They won't. Apple has a goal of aligning OSX and iOS so that apps will have the same look/feel across platforms. The dock is on its way out...

Fairly soon, there won't be a difference between a macbook and an ipad...give it 3 years or so.
It makes no sense to have touch-screen icons on a laptop or desktop. Or are you saying that touch screens will be ubiquitous?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Hi adambadam, I also assigned certain apps to be in certain spaces. I found the function in Lion to do that. You just need to open the app, put them to the space that you want them to be and right click on the app's icon, go to option and choose 'assign to this desktop'. They also allow you to get an app follow you using 'assign to all desktop' which I find it handy for my ichat.
Yeah I found that too. However, there is one problem with that which I also found if you close that desktop (go to Mission Control, and hit the "x" on the desktop when nothing is in it, perhaps to clean up tons of open desktops you have) the setting is permanently lost.

I suppose I have cooled down a little bit since my first write up of the OS and don't get me wrong it is perfectly useable. With that said, have no doubt that it is dumbed down significantly to appease very average users. This snippet of ArsTechnica's write up sums up in my mind just how average of a user the OS is written for. http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...#process-model

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.