Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new laptop as carryon?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

new laptop as carryon?

Hi. Are we allowed to carry on a brand new laptop still sealed in the manufacturers box? We want to bring one to someone for a present. Will they make us open the box? We won't be able to turn the laptop on, since the battery will never have been charged...is that still necessary?
Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You may not carry it sealed in a box, as it needs to be placed in a tray free of any packaging, or in a TSA approved laptop bag. Also keep in mind that the lithium ion battery with the laptop cannot be placed in checked luggage, only in carry-on, for fire related safety reasons.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
~ 3 years ago, I carried a brand-new, unopened laptop through security at PDX (no sales tax in Oregon ). The TSA was fine with it.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Oh boy...one no, one yes. ???
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
Also keep in mind that the lithium ion battery with the laptop cannot be placed in checked luggage, only in carry-on, for fire related safety reasons.
There are other reasons not to check a computer, but installed batteries can be checked:

Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage....If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by HCToo
Oh boy...one no, one yes. ???
Officially, laptops must be removed from carry-on bags and submitted separately for X-ray screening. (Just because someone got away without doing that once, a few years ago, has no bearing here.) It's unlikely that they'll ask you to turn it on.

If I were you, I'd remove the laptop, install and charge the battery, and place it in my carry-on for easy removal at the checkpoint. I'd check the empty box with all the accessories. Whatever you do, please don't check the laptop.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I would give it a shot, there's probably a good chance it will go through without any problems. If they require you to take it out of the box, they can open the box and scan it, you can just explain that you had to open it to go through security.

If they don't, it goes through without any problems.

Unless you are traveling internationally, you may be better off just bringing it to a UPS store and have them ship and insure it for you.

Batteries can be checked if they are installed, but not if they are loose. You do not have to turn on laptops anymore at security.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
I brought a new IPad2 on a DL flight from MSP to ORD in June. In original packaging. I just put the whole box thru the luggage scanner. No problem!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPpete
I brought a new IPad2 on a DL flight from MSP to ORD in June. In original packaging. I just put the whole box thru the luggage scanner. No problem!
You were never required by the TSA to remove tablets from their packaging, so your story, while obviously nice for you, does not help the OP.

I would suggest he doesn't take any risks, and just unpack the laptop to allow removal at security to be simple. I can imagine how unpleasant it would be to unpack a packaged laptop at security. You risk misplacing the items in the box and delaying those behind you.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Realize it is just anecdotal, but 2 weeks ago I went through security at DRO and then also DEN, with a sealed mac book air. Both airport TSA told me to just put the box on the scanner by it self, no need to break the plastic seal to prove a lap top was inside. Not sure of their official policy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.