FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   new laptop as carryon? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1248722-new-laptop-carryon.html)

HCToo Aug 17, 2011 11:23 am

new laptop as carryon?

Hi. Are we allowed to carry on a brand new laptop still sealed in the manufacturers box? We want to bring one to someone for a present. Will they make us open the box? We won't be able to turn the laptop on, since the battery will never have been charged...is that still necessary?
Thanks for your help.

14940674 Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am

You may not carry it sealed in a box, as it needs to be placed in a tray free of any packaging, or in a TSA approved laptop bag. Also keep in mind that the lithium ion battery with the laptop cannot be placed in checked luggage, only in carry-on, for fire related safety reasons.

cblaisd Aug 17, 2011 11:53 am

~ 3 years ago, I carried a brand-new, unopened laptop through security at PDX (no sales tax in Oregon :)). The TSA was fine with it.

HCToo Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Oh boy...one no, one yes. ???

mia Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 16940642)
Also keep in mind that the lithium ion battery with the laptop cannot be placed in checked luggage, only in carry-on, for fire related safety reasons.

There are other reasons not to check a computer, but installed batteries can be checked:

Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage....If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

mikew99 Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by HCToo (Post 16941705)
Oh boy...one no, one yes. ???

Officially, laptops must be removed from carry-on bags and submitted separately for X-ray screening. (Just because someone got away without doing that once, a few years ago, has no bearing here.) It's unlikely that they'll ask you to turn it on.

If I were you, I'd remove the laptop, install and charge the battery, and place it in my carry-on for easy removal at the checkpoint. I'd check the empty box with all the accessories. Whatever you do, please don't check the laptop.

cordelli Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

I would give it a shot, there's probably a good chance it will go through without any problems. If they require you to take it out of the box, they can open the box and scan it, you can just explain that you had to open it to go through security.

If they don't, it goes through without any problems.

Unless you are traveling internationally, you may be better off just bringing it to a UPS store and have them ship and insure it for you.

Batteries can be checked if they are installed, but not if they are loose. You do not have to turn on laptops anymore at security.

MSPpete Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

I brought a new IPad2 on a DL flight from MSP to ORD in June. In original packaging. I just put the whole box thru the luggage scanner. No problem!

14940674 Aug 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPpete (Post 16950695)
I brought a new IPad2 on a DL flight from MSP to ORD in June. In original packaging. I just put the whole box thru the luggage scanner. No problem!

You were never required by the TSA to remove tablets from their packaging, so your story, while obviously nice for you, does not help the OP.

I would suggest he doesn't take any risks, and just unpack the laptop to allow removal at security to be simple. I can imagine how unpleasant it would be to unpack a packaged laptop at security. You risk misplacing the items in the box and delaying those behind you.

bennijiggs Aug 19, 2011 1:24 am

Realize it is just anecdotal, but 2 weeks ago I went through security at DRO and then also DEN, with a sealed mac book air. Both airport TSA told me to just put the box on the scanner by it self, no need to break the plastic seal to prove a lap top was inside. Not sure of their official policy though.