Online backup access while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online backup access while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Another Drop box fan, but more for accessing with my phone/ipad than my laptop while travelling. Just encrypt private info.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:57 pm

Anything can fail but it's unlikely that *everything* will fail at once.

For cloud, I use Amazon. I have 20GB for $20. That's enough for photo archives, etc. and I can store whatever else I wish as needed.

I used to use "old" Live Mesh but never switched over to the new stuff. Windows Live ID's are too easy to crack.

My work has pretty significant online resource that I can reach securely via an RSA hard token, so I use that as primary for work stuff.

I back up critical work files to an Ironkey encrypted flash drive that goes with me everywhere.

At home, my main desktop has a mirrored RAID secondary array just for storage and I have a 1 TB network attached storage device for redundancy. I could make that stuff accessible from the Internet but so far that hasn't been necessary. I not a fan of opening holes in the firewall unless it is necessary.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by SC8254
Is anyone out there using online backup to store their data remotely and access it while away from home or office? How does it work? Is it safe? Any service recommendations? Thanks!
Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've been a big fan of CrashPlan - http://crashplan.com/

I do peer-peer backups with some colleagues and family members, so they have a copy of my data (encrypted) and I theirs. Recently subscribed to CrashPlan's paid online service and have been uploading my most important documents (and those I will most likely need to restore while on the road) to the cloud.

Big fan of the peer-peer backup model…
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aulrik
I'm only using DropBox for all my storage and I'm loving it. Clean and simple and does exactly what it's suppose to do. There are probably tons of good arguments why you shouldn't rely on these "cloud storage" services but personally I consider it just as safe as if I had to keep a backup myself.
Dropbox +1.

Works for me as well. All my critical data gets backed up anyway through our work network so I use dropbox for the stuff I need when I travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.