Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Setting up an NAS and/or drive on the home network for remote access.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Setting up an NAS and/or drive on the home network for remote access.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
And, frankly, anyone who opens an inherently insecure protocol like VNC straight to the internet probably doesn't know what he/she is doing.
Agreed. VNC is so simple to use - and that IMHO is where so many people go wrong.

I have remote access enabled on my WHS box - but with username/password and a two-factor hardware key generator.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Agreed. VNC is so simple to use - and that IMHO is where so many people go wrong.

I have remote access enabled on my WHS box - but with username/password and a two-factor hardware key generator.
How does the hardware key generator work?

I just block everything but leave sshd running on my Tomato router. Passwords disabled; keypair authentication required.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flahusky
While a great product, it does NOT address the OPs question.
The OP will need to connect to his home network then remote desktop to a computer on it to access his NAS.

The simplest way to do this is via Logmein or TeamViewer or even VNC.
Other options are FTP and the above mentioned vpn/rdc.
or.. purchase the Synology NAS to replace the old NAS, copy the files over, enable remote file sharing and view the files remotely via https or FTP

I think you can also plug a USB drive into the Synology NAS too.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Picked up a Pogoplug from CL for $30.

Thanks, Scott!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
okay

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Thanks, Scott!
okay now, WHO told you to get one off CL? Buehler? :-)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Thanks, Scott!
Don't forget the iPhone app! Oh, and load it with some music and video as well - the Pogo streams that nicely too.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Seller sent it two day mail. Amazingly easy to set up. I thank you again, Scott!

Playing with the iPhone app; I need to bone up, though, on what kind of videos the iPhone won't play.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
According to a post over on Fatwallet, Pogoplug has released a software only version of their product. Free for local network use, $29 for internet access. But they are giving away hundreds of copies of the $29 version for freeeeee!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1107993/

They sent out an e-mail right away with the license code and installation instructions.

With a review from PC magazine here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387550,00.asp

Last edited by cordelli; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
According to a post over on Fatwallet, Pogoplug has released a software only version of their product. Free for local network use, $29 for internet access. But they are giving away hundreds of copies of the $29 version for freeeeee!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1107993/

They sent out an e-mail right away with the license code and installation instructions.

With a review from PC magazine here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387550,00.asp
I had a Pogoplug device and found it far too frustrating -- it was accessible only with special driver software. A good (and simple) option is Tonido (www.tonido.com). It's free, and allows web-based access to any drives reachable on the machine that's running it (I have it on my file server at home). It creates what is, essentially, a private cloud. It also works with software like Net Drive, that permits mapping directly to home drives from any machine anywhere. I use it so that my writing partner can access large audio files that are too big to email and that I don't trust to commercial cloud services.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:28 am

which

Originally Posted by PTravel
I had a Pogoplug device and found it far too frustrating -- it was accessible only with special driver software. A good (and simple) option is Tonido (www.tonido.com). It's free, and allows web-based access to any drives reachable on the machine that's running it (I have it on my file server at home). It creates what is, essentially, a private cloud. It also works with software like Net Drive, that permits mapping directly to home drives from any machine anywhere. I use it so that my writing partner can access large audio files that are too big to email and that I don't trust to commercial cloud services.
I think the software is simply a client unless one wants to have like a menu bar add on, or sync tracker. Just like something like dropbox? And the data is always accessible on the website access, no client or "driver" needed.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I had a Pogoplug device and found it far too frustrating -- it was accessible only with special driver software.
Not correct. Can be accessed through the web interface. One can install the client, but it's not necessary.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I think the software is simply a client unless one wants to have like a menu bar add on, or sync tracker. Just like something like dropbox? And the data is always accessible on the website access, no client or "driver" needed.
Tonido also makes the data available via a web interface, requiring no client or driver.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:39 am

all good

Tonido also makes the data available via a web interface, requiring no client or driver.
That is all well and good, I just wanted to point out that the pogoplug data is NOT "ONLY" available with a driver install or client, as you commented above.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

As was I Glad we have FT to help all of us get the correct information ^
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recommend Pogoplug because it just works. I've yet to send someone to it and hear that it was hard to install.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.