Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Setting up an NAS and/or drive on the home network for remote access.

Old Jan 23, 11, 7:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I have an older 250GB NAS on my home network. One of the nice things about it is that it has two USB ports that can serve for attaching external drives, printers (the NAS has a built-in print server).

I have a spare 150GB external drive (in USB housing) that I want to connect to the NAS.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to access either or both drives while traveling. I have opened a port forward on my Linksys router before (so can probably figure out how to do so again), but what I don't know is what I need to be able to access those drives directly remotely.

The NAS box does NOT come with web server software installed.

Is there any way to install web server (is that what I need?) software on one or both of the drives (either NAS itself or the external USB drive attached to it), open a port forward (is that the terminology?), and then be able to access the drive(s)? -- without either drive being directly attached to a computer (I assume this question becomes easier if I put a computer on the network and used it as a remote entry, but I am wanting to know if I can someone just put what I need on the drive(s))

Ideally, I'd like some kind of Windows Explorer-like interface that I could simply use to access files remotely.

If this is possible, baby steps, please
Old Jan 23, 11, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With limited knowledge of what exact setup you have, I'd recommend against messing around with this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Better yet - invest in a Pogoplug and make life easier.
Old Jan 23, 11, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Easiest way is probably a VPN to your home network, then yo can access anything you want. As mentioned mostv Linksys routers can operate DD-WRT a 3rd party software with lots of additional features including a VPN.
Old Jan 23, 11, 10:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
With limited knowledge of what exact setup you have, I'd recommend against messing around with this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Better yet - invest in a Pogoplug and make life easier.
Looks intriguing, but webpage says "Out of stock in US"

I see that eBay has some though.

It doesn't sound, though, like you can access anything except attached USB drives (i.e., won't be able to get to the NAS drive)

Btw, this is what I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822154327

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 23, 11 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 24, 11, 12:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Presumably you want to use Simpletech's NAS Finder software with it; luckily the product comes with free and unlimited tech support, so you are best to ask Simpletech what limitations their software has. Presumably their NAS is running Linux, but as a closed box so you cannot a web server. VPN is probably the best choice, but I've never used Simpletech (too little capability to be interesting for what I need) so not sure what they can enable/disable. Should be an easy question for their tech support.
Old Jan 24, 11, 12:08 am

http://www.synology.com/us/solutions...cess/index.php
Old Jan 24, 11, 5:40 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld View Post
While a great product, it does NOT address the OPs question.
The OP will need to connect to his home network then remote desktop to a computer on it to access his NAS.

The simplest way to do this is via Logmein or TeamViewer or even VNC.
Other options are FTP and the above mentioned vpn/rdc.
Old Jan 24, 11, 6:28 am

Unless I'm missing something, this seems fairly simple: 1) VPN to home network, 2) map a drive to the IP of the NAS or access it directly without drive mapping. Setting up PPTP in a DD-WRT router is fairly easy, and allows you to easily connect with any Win computer (Mac - not as easy).

To VNC or logmein, you need to leave a computer on. The VPN solution does not require this.
Old Jan 24, 11, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
pogoplugs should not be out of stock anywhere, you might have been checking on an older stock number. There are about three models at the moment, all of which should be available from about 45-100$ depending on features. You could probbably get a V1 version for about 30-35$ on ebay or craigslist, does everything the other versions do other than built IN multiple USB ports (which can be added with a 5$ dongle)

Ultimately, a VPN or NAS with server might be a better more robust solution but the pogoplug really does work quite well and offers more features than a NAS server or VPN can.
Old Jan 24, 11, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
pogoplugs should not be out of stock anywhere, you might have been checking on an older stock number. There are about three models at the moment, all of which should be available from about 45-100$ depending on features. You could probbably get a V1 version for about 30-35$ on ebay or craigslist, does everything the other versions do other than built IN multiple USB ports (which can be added with a 5$ dongle)

Ultimately, a VPN or NAS with server might be a better more robust solution but the pogoplug really does work quite well and offers more features than a NAS server or VPN can.
Product seems perfect for someone who has trouble normally getting a VPN working (like the OP). From unboxing to connecting can be done in under 5 minutes. Awesome product.
Old Jan 24, 11, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Product seems perfect for someone who has trouble normally getting a VPN working (like the OP). From unboxing to connecting can be done in under 5 minutes. Awesome product.
Pretty cool for the non-super tech savvy. ^^^
Old Jan 24, 11, 10:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by tkflyer View Post
Easiest way is probably a VPN to your home network, then yo can access anything you want. As mentioned mostv Linksys routers can operate DD-WRT a 3rd party software with lots of additional features including a VPN.
VPN highly recommended.

OpenVPN is a far more secure option that PPTP. OpenVPN server and client is *free* and OpenVPN is already built-in to several builds of DD-WRT.

I recommend against just opening ports on the router. That's asking for trouble unless you know - for certain - that everything in your network is secure. A friend of mine just got burned by installing a VNC solution w/open ports on his network. He caught a hacker sucking *everything* off his Linux box. With a VPN solution you can keep the ports closed to the outside world, while still maintaining full access to your network (limited to you).

Any solution that requires open ports puts data at risk. Be careful.
Old Jan 24, 11, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
A friend of mine just got burned by installing a VNC solution w/open ports on his network. He caught a hacker sucking *everything* off his Linux box. With a VPN solution you can keep the ports closed to the outside world, while still maintaining full access to your network (limited to you).
The problem becomes worse when people don't know what they are doing - in your example, the person actually noticed the data theft - most people wouldn't even know where to look.
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem becomes worse when people don't know what they are doing - in your example, the person actually noticed the data theft - most people wouldn't even know where to look.
And, frankly, anyone who opens an inherently insecure protocol like VNC straight to the internet probably doesn't know what he/she is doing.
Old Jan 24, 11, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
pogoplugs should not be out of stock anywhere.
For U.S. customers, the "regular" pogoplugs are out of stock. But the same-priced "Pro" model (with Wi-Fi) are in stock.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: