Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by new2japan
Rather very serious post. Seems rather silly to be so interested in tablets that you're waiting to buy one from the likes of Samsung when there have been industry changing tablets in the marketplace for a year now. Let me get this straight, you're a PC guy and you don't want to deal with a phone that isn't made by the manufacturer of your desktop computer.

By the logic, the device that you'd be wanting to use is Windows Phone 7 and you'd be waiting for an MS tablet...er slate as they call them. Your actions seem to indicate that the OS maker of your phone is independent from what OS you use on the desktop. You're basically talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You do realize that your PC and your Android phone mean that you are "dealing with software and/or apps fro multiple platforms". Must suck to be you.
No, I'm a pc guy who isn't interested in using Apple products. Because my phone is Android I have no desire to use 3 different operating systems. And I'm more than happy to purchase an Android tablet by any manufacturer who releases a quality product.

Regardless, this isn't the point of this thread. If you are an Apple guy there are plenty of places you can discuss how great the iPad is. I'm interested in discussing Android tablets here, so you can take your trolling elsewhere. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I am kinda fascinated by the Asus EEpad Transformer .... best of both worlds.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Looks like the Xoom is close to launching. I am looking forward to at least playing around with it in the store. Don't think I am going to spring for one though as I am happy with my iPad and looking forward to the iPad 2.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/22/m...h-at-best-buy/
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambadam
Looks like the Xoom is close to launching. I am looking forward to at least playing around with it in the store. Don't think I am going to spring for one though as I am happy with my iPad and looking forward to the iPad 2.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/22/m...h-at-best-buy/
Yeah, sadly it appears that the price will be $800. I was hoping it would be more competitively priced with the iPad. Not sure I want to drop that much on a tablet.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Yeah, sadly it appears that the price will be $800. I was hoping it would be more competitively priced with the iPad. Not sure I want to drop that much on a tablet.
Some places now $699
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
If the price is $700 with 32GB and 3G then it is competitive with the iPad at that level of specs. Of course where the iPad really wins is the fact that you can get one out the door for $500.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:12 am

Even if my EVO never gets another OS upgrade I'll still have no regrets I went with it.
Oh hey, me neither. I was a diehard Palm user for more than 10 years, but I am so glad I switched to the EVO.

Anyway, less than 1 month until MWC...looking forward to some new devices.
I know! I've been waiting and waiting for the tablet I really want to be available. I hope my patience will be rewarded soon!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:29 pm

No, I'm a pc guy who isn't interested in using Apple products. Because my phone is Android I have no desire to use 3 different operating systems.
Something like a tablet PC or smartphone should be "white goods". You shouldn't need to know or care what is happening in the background.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by whitearrow
Oh hey, me neither. I was a diehard Palm user for more than 10 years, but I am so glad I switched to the EVO.
Glad to hear this. I've been a Palm user about half that long but am ready to move to a new Platform and planning on either the EVO or EVO Shift. My contract is up in 2 months...can't wait to switch finally!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Dell Streak

Originally Posted by whitearrow
I've been waiting and waiting for the tablet I really want to be available. I hope my patience will be rewarded soon!
I have enjoyed my Dell Streak, a 5" tablet/phone. I can carry it in my coat pocket, or pants it I am not sitting down. It has been greater for keeping me entertained on the portions of the TATL flights when I am not sleeping.

Dell has a 7" model available for purchase a week from today: http://www.streaksmart.com/ A 10" model was demonstrated as CES.

If anyone gets a Streak, I suggest moving to the StreakDroid build, which is not too hard and getting easier all the time given the strong community support. Dell's factory 1.6 (Donut) build is stable, but some newer apps require 2.2 (Froyo) or better.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Degan
I have enjoyed my Dell Streak, a 5" tablet/phone. I can carry it in my coat pocket, or pants it I am not sitting down. It has been greater for keeping me entertained on the portions of the TATL flights when I am not sleeping.

Dell has a 7" model available for purchase a week from today: http://www.streaksmart.com/ A 10" model was demonstrated as CES.

If anyone gets a Streak, I suggest moving to the StreakDroid build, which is not too hard and getting easier all the time given the strong community support. Dell's factory 1.6 (Donut) build is stable, but some newer apps require 2.2 (Froyo) or better.
An unlocked 5-inch one able to get the latest Android, with 3G and GPS, for under $450 would sell well.

I'd get it for Google Navigation, to start with, to use as GPS overseas. But newer versions of Google Navigation supports 3D maps in some cities. So the vendor has to be good about software updates and it's sounding like a spotty record depending on the vendor.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jw713
Glad to hear this. I've been a Palm user about half that long but am ready to move to a new Platform and planning on either the EVO or EVO Shift. My contract is up in 2 months...can't wait to switch finally!
You will be happy. I had to give up my beloved Pocket Quicken, but other than that, there's nothing you can get on Palm that you can't get on Android, and there is SO MUCH MORE that you couldn't get on Palm.

If you haven't already, open a Google account and get used to the idea of using the cloud for your calendar and contacts -- it makes the switch much easier.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp
Some places now $699
Where have you seen it on pre-sale for $699? I'd be on the fence at that price. At $599 I'm in for sure.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), DL PLT
Originally Posted by wco81
An unlocked 5-inch one able to get the latest Android, with 3G and GPS, for under $450 would sell well.
It is way under that. I think the Best Buy price is $99 w/AT&T contract. AT&T unlocks them at request with no push-back. StreakSmart has the links to the latest pricing deals worldwide: http://www.streaksmart.com/

I'd get it for Google Navigation, to start with, to use as GPS overseas. But newer versions of Google Navigation supports 3D maps in some cities. So the vendor has to be good about software updates and it's sounding like a spotty record depending on the vendor.
I ignore the vendor updates and go with StreakDroid (http://streakdroid.com/), which has (IMO) much stronger than vendor (Dell)OS/software support. You can check the helpful and friendly user support reponses at Pocketables (http://forum.pocketables.net/forumdisplay.php?f=97) among other forums with deep StreakDroid support.

Last edited by Degan; Jan 27, 2011 at 8:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't want to sign a contract though. I'd rather pay the unsubsidized price so I am not bound by a 2-year contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.