FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1169223-now-ces-here-what-best-android-tablet.html)

broadwayblue Jan 6, 2011 10:06 pm

Now that CES is here, what is the best Android tablet?

Been waiting for Honeycomb and the onslaught of Android tablets for a while now.

The Motorola Xoom looks very nice, but it appears to be Verizon branded. I'd love a wifi version of something with similar specs.

What else looks great?

broadwayblue Jan 8, 2011 12:33 pm

So despite all the build up over how we would be inundated with tablets there really didn't seem to be a lot of game changers. Did anything else compete with the Xoom? Sure the Blackberry Playbook got some hype...but where are all the other killer tablets?

adambadam Jan 8, 2011 1:20 pm

The Xoom website is utterly ridiculous, you have to watch a stupid advertisement just to view a product that Moto is trying to sell. So long web site perhaps I will remember this product if I happen to see it in a store in 4 months. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

wco81 Jan 8, 2011 1:33 pm

There's another show, the Mobile World Congress, coming up soon and there may be more products shown then.

I think the Xoom and Playbook may be sold with mobile data contracts. Wifi models may be priced like the Galaxy Tab/iPad.

For people already with smart phone contracts, it may not be an appealing option to pay for another data contract.

broadwayblue Jan 8, 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 15612998)
The Xoom website is utterly ridiculous, you have to watch a stupid advertisement just to view a product that Moto is trying to sell. So long web site perhaps I will remember this product if I happen to see it in a store in 4 months. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, that's pretty lame. But once you actually make it to the product page the specs look solid. Honeycomb, dual core processor, gorilla glass...but no USB port?

Here's another link to pics/specs without ads. lol

http://androidheadlines.com/2011/01/...id-tablet.html

http://techdraginfo.blogspot.com/201...30-tablet.html

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 15613086)
There's another show, the Mobile World Congress, coming up soon and there may be more products shown then.

I think the Xoom and Playbook may be sold with mobile data contracts. Wifi models may be priced like the Galaxy Tab/iPad.

For people already with smart phone contracts, it may not be an appealing option to pay for another data contract.

Yeah, I have no interest in paying for another data contract. I'm more than happy to tether through my EVO when wifi is not available. I'll keep my eye on the MWC. Thanks.

ScottC Jan 8, 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 15612629)
So despite all the build up over how we would be inundated with tablets there really didn't seem to be a lot of game changers. Did anything else compete with the Xoom? Sure the Blackberry Playbook got some hype...but where are all the other killer tablets?

I suspect the delay comes from Google and Honeycomb - not many major vendors got access to it before the show.

Still, what i've seen from Honeycomb can easily be called a game changer. Once HTC builds a tablet around it, the market will change a lot.

wco81 Jan 8, 2011 2:03 pm

There are indications that Honeycomb is only for higher-end hardware. Maybe not dual-core but certainly not the $99 Android tablets.

If that's the case, then Honeycomb tablets won't be able to underprice the iPad much, if at all.

broadwayblue Jan 8, 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 15613165)
I suspect the delay comes from Google and Honeycomb - not many major vendors got access to it before the show.

Still, what i've seen from Honeycomb can easily be called a game changer. Once HTC builds a tablet around it, the market will change a lot.

I'd be all over an HTC tablet (preferably 10", although I'm sure the Scribe will be nice.) Would love to pair it with my EVO. I'm sure we'll hear about a lot of new devices in the coming months, just thought we would have seen a bit more this week.

broadwayblue Jan 8, 2011 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 15613282)
There are indications that Honeycomb is only for higher-end hardware. Maybe not dual-core but certainly not the $99 Android tablets.

If that's the case, then Honeycomb tablets won't be able to underprice the iPad much, if at all.

There has been some debate about whether that's true.

http://twitter.com/morrildl/status/22845294886518785#

And honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about the $99 tablet market. If these devices are equal or better than the iPad I don't have a problem spending $400-$500 on one.

infinityplusone Jan 9, 2011 3:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I could have sworn I saw a micro USB port on the Xoom, at CES. But they were not allowing anyone to actually hold or touch them so maybe I didn't see it right.

broadwayblue Jan 9, 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by infinityplusone (Post 15620387)
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I could have sworn I saw a micro USB port on the Xoom, at CES. But they were not allowing anyone to actually hold or touch them so maybe I didn't see it right.

Yeah, I think it's one of the 6 connectors on the bottom. And from the list of specs from the androidheadlines.com link above it does appear to be included:

Motorola XOOM Tablet
OS Android 3.0 Honeycomb
Differentiation Larger display in smaller form-factor, 1080p HD support, first tablet with Honeycomb software, dual-core 1GHz processor, and a wide range of docking options
Dimensions 249.1mm (h) x 167.8mm (w) x 12.9mm (d)
Display 10.1″ 1280 × 800 resolution
Weight 730 g
Processor NVIDIAŽ Tegra™ 2: 1 GHz dual-core processor
Battery Up to 10 hour video playback
Connectivity 3.5 mm, micro USB 2.0 HS, Corporate Sync, Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR + HID
Network 3G, 4G LTE upgradeable, 802.11n w/Personal Hotspot
Messaging/Web/Apps Email (Corporate Sync, Google Mail, POP3/IMAP embedded, Push Email, Yahoo Mail) , WebKit w/ Flash
Audio AAC, AAC+, AMR NB, AMR WB, MP3, XMF
Video 720p capture/1080p playback/streaming, H.263, H.264, MPEG4
Camera 5 MP rear-facing camera with dual LED flash/2 MP front-facing camera
Memory 32 GB on board user memory, SD card support after software update, 1 GB DDR2 RAM

Android 3.0
10.1 inch screen
Dual-core 1 GHz processor
Currently 3G, upgradeable to 4G
Rear 5 MP camera
Front 2 MP camera
720p video recording
1080p video playback with HDMI video out

chanp Jan 9, 2011 4:45 pm

Xoom tablet does look nice. Gonna wait to see what ipad 2 has/does.

ByrdluvsAWACO Jan 11, 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 15620500)
Network 3G, 4G LTE upgradeable, 802.11n w/Personal Hotspot

Will this be a software upgrade?:confused:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 15620500)
Memory 32 GB on board user memory, SD card support after software update, 1 GB DDR2 RAM

So they're going to ship units that won't be able to read SD cards? That seems moronic.

aly Jan 11, 2011 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 15631566)
Will this be a software upgrade?:confused:

So they're going to ship units that won't be able to read SD cards? That seems moronic.

LTE is via software upgrade..; not sure about SD card though..

ByrdluvsAWACO Jan 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by aly (Post 15632175)
LTE is via software upgrade...

I don't understand. Why would they release a tablet in march that can't run on the LTE networks that are rolling out now.

Do these companies not understand how LTE will works? Its not like LTE is still in its conceptual stage.