Samsung Galaxy Tab question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP

I have been looking at the Galaxy Tab and have a question. The power cable is like a USB cable, so here is the question.
Can I connect a flash drive to the end and read it like a hard drive?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
No. You need to connect it to a PC and connect the USB drive to the same PC to move files between them. Otherwise, use the microSD slot for removable storage needs.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like the previous poster said, the USB port is client only - not host, which is required to connect USB devices like memory, mice and keyboards. Shame actually....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:43 pm

Use this instead of a thumb drive with the MicroSD card for other devices:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDAQ8gIwAg#
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
The Dell Streak apparently does support USB OTG, but they seem to do their best to hide it from what I understand.

It's very cool on Nokia devices, I'm sure Android devices will catch up.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Yes, it is too bad that they did not do this. I can not use a SD card since I have some very large flash drives (bigger than SD capacities). I was just hoping they were going to be smarter than Apple.

As to the suggestion to use the thing in the link, I do not see how that is a fit in this case. It would only be a fit if it plugged into the slot and made the flash drive look like a SD card.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn

As to the suggestion to use the thing in the link, I do not see how that is a fit in this case. It would only be a fit if it plugged into the slot and made the flash drive look like a SD card.
Yeah, I didn't really get that one either.

I agree - the lack of USB host on so many devices is mind boggling. Insane that Nokia seems to be one of the only ones to get this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.