Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Syncing calendars

Syncing calendars

Old Jan 4, 11, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Syncing calendars

I thought I'd achieved something pretty clever today but unfortunately my normal level of technical ability held true and it doesn't work!!

What I'm trying to do is share a sync'd calendar with my wife that also has access to my work diary so she can see where I am. What I tried today was sync-ing my outlook work calendar to my personal iPhone (which worked) and then creating a gmail account just to use to the calendar. This syncs perfectly to my iPhone as well (showing all of my diaries together) and my wife's iPhone also now gets the entries sent from the google account. So far so good.

What I can't get to work is the sync from my iPhone back to the google account. So my work sync'd diary entries and what I create on the iPhone don't seem to get reflected back.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Where all this falls o
Old Jan 4, 11, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by stueys View Post
What I can't get to work is the sync from my iPhone back to the google account. So my work sync'd diary entries and what I create on the iPhone don't seem to get reflected back.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?
Make sure you are using the exchange sync method on the iphone for your google accounts, especially contacts & calendar. I think you have to enable it first in google, then set it up as a new account on the iphone. You can delete the old one.

Anyway, the exchange server thing is 2-way.

You can thank ScottC for that tip.

-David
Old Jan 4, 11, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Don't know if this fits in with what LIH Prem is suggesting, but can you install Google Calendar Sync on your pc? That would sync the Outlook and GCalendar, and then the Iphone would use the over the air synching that LIH Prem talked about.
Old Jan 4, 11, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by UALfromMSN View Post
Don't know if this fits in with what LIH Prem is suggesting, but can you install Google Calendar Sync on your pc? That would sync the Outlook and GCalendar, and then the Iphone would use the over the air synching that LIH Prem talked about.
well, you could do that also or instead, but many of us stopped using that method when ios and google added exchange sync support. On the other hand, outlook wasn't our primary calendar either.

I was only using outlook as a conduit for google calendar before they both added exchange sync support. Once they had exchange sync, I retired my use of outlook.

If outlook is your primary calendar, I guess it's worth considering.

-David
Old Jan 4, 11, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, this is what I love about FT, in 20 mins I had 3 answers that have made this work. The combinated exchange syncing and calendar sync on the PC work perfectly. Calendar sync seems a but clunky but it works.

Thanks for the quick advice, appreciated.
Old Jan 4, 11, 6:09 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I finally gave up on the clunky 2010 Outlook/Calendar sync and moved to Thunderbird+Lighting/Provider for Google Calendar.

The TB sync process just seems to work better. It's pretty cool to add a calendar entry on your iPhone, and watch it populate your GMail calendar and your TB calendar (AKA Lightning) almost simultaneously.

Oh and Outlook 2010 was just rubbish with GMail IMAP accounts. Rubbish.
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We do a similar thing to the OP on both mine and my wife's iphones using Google Calendar (set up via exchange). We both have separate calendars, but both our phones are set up to display both calendars. That way we always know where each other are going to be with work at any stage in the future.

Its particularly useful when my wife adds something to her calendar and I get a text notification from google to highlight it to me, just in case I miss it.
Old Jan 5, 11, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyroo View Post
I finally gave up on the clunky 2010 Outlook/Calendar sync and moved to Thunderbird+Lighting/Provider for Google Calendar.
I'm finding the sync works really well, iPhone updates seem to appear pretty quickly back with google and it all replicates to my work outlook calendar and BB, so all happy with that.

Agree Cal Sync is a bit clunky, it's pretty slow. Not really an issue to me as I'm only looking to do updates once a day but can see why a slicker solution would appeal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: