Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what's the ideal smartphone for someone with big fingers? (6' 7")

Old Jan 2, 11, 11:48 am
Original Poster

what's the ideal smartphone for someone with big fingers? I'm trying to get one as a gift for my grandson and he's about 6' 7" and 200 pounds, the last time I saw him.
Old Jan 2, 11, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say an Android phone with the Swype keyboard would work well - that way he can just slide his fingers instead of actually having to touch-type.

Also, consider a phone with a large(r) screen like the Sprint EVO.
Old Jan 2, 11, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An iPhone works fine for me, and I wear a size 15 ring. What kind of computer does he use on a regular basis? If he uses a Mac he will probably want the iPhone.

I have no problem using the onscreen keyboard for emails or texts. Those keys are bigger than you imagine.
Old Jan 2, 11, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I would vote for the Droid X. That thing is like a plasma TV for your hand
Old Jan 2, 11, 4:48 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
The Nokia E72 has **by far** the best smartphone keyboard out there. The BB 9700 is OK but I don't like the offset angling of each key.

The Nokia also has symbols (? , /, : -) in obvious places, and very little need to use Alt or Sym.
Old Jan 2, 11, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have and use both an iPhone 3gs and a BB9700. The BB9700 is a far cry from the keyboard on the iphone.
Old Jan 2, 11, 6:26 pm

I don't think you eliminate that many devices by specifying big fingers. It really has more to do with what he is comfortable with. I have big fingers and can deal with most any smartphone I've handled.

I think more people are satisfied with any particular virtual keyboard than any particular real keyboard, but that is from a very small sampling of friends and family.
Old Jan 2, 11, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noam View Post
I don't think you eliminate that many devices by specifying big fingers. It really has more to do with what he is comfortable with. I have big fingers and can deal with most any smartphone I've handled.

I think more people are satisfied with any particular virtual keyboard than any particular real keyboard, but that is from a very small sampling of friends and family.
Good point. And one of the main reasons I love Android so much - I can use any keyboard I want. I hate being tied down to what the manufacturer demands I use on my device. Plus, I have the option of switching to a device with a hardware keyboard.
Old Jan 3, 11, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He has 6'7" fingers? Wow! How tall is he?

Old Jan 4, 11, 11:47 am

Regardless of which phone you purchase, make sure you also get him a dialing wand.
Old Jan 4, 11, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Droid X or Sprint EVO if you go touchscreen.
Old Jan 4, 11, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sprint EVO 4G (touchscreen, Android). The AT&T Tilt2 had one of the best physical keyboards ever, but it is Windows Mobile.
Old Jan 5, 11, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, GF Gold, SPG Plat, LCAH Plat
I do enjoy plugging a full size PC USB keyboard into my N8, but that may be overkill

Search this Thread
Search Engine: