Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Mobile Broadband!

Mobile Broadband!

Old Dec 15, 10, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Mobile Broadband!

I was wondering the best priced PREPAID mobile broadband (pref. unlimited access). I live in Europe BUT I will need it when I go to the US so can some recommend a good company to deal with please?

I know I will need a device so if the company won't mail one to me over here I can buy one on ebay (I took a peek and saw they have LOTS to choice from).
Old Dec 15, 10, 7:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
How long will you need it for
Are you looking for it for a laptop or some other device that is not usb?

There is only one company currently offering unlimited access that I am aware of, Virgin.

Virgin mobile probably has the best prices currently, you can get unlimited 3g for $40 a month with their mifi, though you need to buy the mifi (currently $130) or a usb stick for $80. If you only need it for ten days, they will do 100 megs for $10 for ten days.

Tmobile has three plans, $10 a week for 100 megs, $30 a month for 300 megs, or $50 for 1 gb.

AT&T offers the same three plans as t-mobile, but at $15, $30 and $50

Verizon same as AT&T, but they also offer an $80 one month plan that goes to 5 GB
Old Dec 15, 10, 7:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ight=broadband
Old Dec 15, 10, 10:24 am

XCom

I am not affiliated with this firm in any way, but have had good experiences with them:

http://xcomglobal.com/
Old Dec 15, 10, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Thanks for the info. Virgin sounds just what I am after.

I visit the US a few times a yr and atleast one of those times I'm there for 3 weeks. I always have my laptop with me and this will save the hassle of hunting down a hotspot when I need internet!!

I am guessing I just go to a store to "top up" but do I just buy any card or????

Sorry for the questions but I'd like to know what to do BEFORE I go there lol.
Old Dec 15, 10, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Robroy thanks but they aren't cheap at all AND you have to depart FROM the US it seems. I need something within the US and at 14.95 a day???? No thanks heh.
Old Dec 15, 10, 12:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
See this thread by the way for some additional discussion about it

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...mifi-wifi.html

You can pay online with credit or debit card, or you can buy a top off card from them.
Old Dec 17, 10, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by robroy90 View Post
I am not affiliated with this firm in any way, but have had good experiences with them:

http://xcomglobal.com/
Thanks for this....looks good.

Is there a way to just get them to give you the SIM cards you need instead of 'renting' the mifi device as well? I travel a fair amount so investing in a mifi device myself doesn't seem like a bad idea but it doesn't seem like you can just get the sims and pay for the data without renting the mifi along with it?
Old Dec 17, 10, 12:33 pm

I have to second the XCOMGlobal recommendation, I have used them a few times now and the service has been flawless.

Dan
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nordictat2 View Post
Thanks for the info. Virgin sounds just what I am after.

I visit the US a few times a yr and atleast one of those times I'm there for 3 weeks. I always have my laptop with me and this will save the hassle of hunting down a hotspot when I need internet!!

I am guessing I just go to a store to "top up" but do I just buy any card or????

Sorry for the questions but I'd like to know what to do BEFORE I go there lol.
You can buy Virgin Mobile To Up cards/slips anywhere including CVS, Riteaid, Walgreens, and 7/11.
Old Dec 18, 10, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I have VM. Just be aware that the tech support is absolutely horrendous but once you get going, it's okay.

There is absolutely no comparison between speeds of Virgin and a Starbucks hot spot even when there are ten people at SBUX.
Old Dec 18, 10, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone get in on the CLEAR iSPOT promo yesterday? $20 for the iSPOT and $25 service is hard to beat.
Old Dec 18, 10, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Did anyone get in on the CLEAR iSPOT promo yesterday? $20 for the iSPOT and $25 service is hard to beat.
Is it still available? Do you have a link?
Old Dec 18, 10, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
Is it still available? Do you have a link?
No - it was a one day thing
Old Dec 18, 10, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
MIssed it. Too bad, because I would have jumped on it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: