Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Broadband!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by ScottC
Did anyone get in on the CLEAR iSPOT promo yesterday? $20 for the iSPOT and $25 service is hard to beat.
I grabbed one. Using it in Chicago here without problem. My location is well covered. According to their coverage map, there are 4 towers 1 block away. Initial speed tests gets 3 to 6 megabit downstream depending on time of day and 1 megabit upstream. Pretty much the max possible on the plan.

The downside: On Clearwire and DSL Reports' forums, there are many threads about capping to 256 kilobits. Clearwire's customer service and tech support also leaves a lot to be desired.

The iSpot is intended for Apple's iDevices, enforced through an MAC OUI whitelist. It's simple to get around that with MAC spoofing or loading a config file that removes the restriction. See http://www.ispotunrestricted.com/2.0/
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I find the speed in downtime chicago VERY GOOD, but the problem is our appt. in Downtown of chicago and mich, has double paned glass and it DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. I can look RIGHT AT THE TOWER and get literally NOTHING.

Clear as much has told me several times. "yeah, it won't work indoors with double paned windows"
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:19 pm

first

Originally Posted by ScottC
Did anyone get in on the CLEAR iSPOT promo yesterday? $20 for the iSPOT and $25 service is hard to beat.
I picked one up when they first came out, I think it was free for a day (but ended up to be a few days actually) and 25$ a month. I then let it expire since it didn't work in San Fran at the time (but it does NOW!!!)

It just cancels, and you click restart and boom, you're going again. Nice to have a turn on turn off switch. It was great down in LA last weekend, and I'll keep it running over the holiday as I'll be in DC and Palm Beach and Miami (GO CARDINALS!!!) so it should work everywhere there.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I am in the US at the minute and the Virgin Mifi is a godsend. I have a power adapter in the car and keep in there so have full wifi access for my iphone all the time (being from Ireland the cost to use data roaming make it impossible). The mifi device cost $149 and $40 a month unlimited. You may want to order the mifi device before you get to the US, they are in high demand, it took me 4 days and a 20 mile drive to get one, but it was well worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Clear as much has told me several times. "yeah, it won't work indoors with double paned windows"
I think that's pretty much BS. Unless you have metallic tint, double paned window should not noticeably attenuate wireless signals. Clearwire tech support is useless, but we know that already.

If you have stucco walls, it will act as a faraday cage around your house/apartment and block all EMF signals.

FWIW, my location is an older wooden construction with double pane windows in Lakeview.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:36 am

well, I'm on a 36th floor just of mich and chicago, basically the NM building. All glass, looking east and north, I THINK the tower is towards the north.

I can put it on the window sill and still get nothing. It's a bummer, but I've got DSL in the domicile anyways.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:03 pm

XCom Global

Originally Posted by dan1431
I have to second the XCOMGlobal recommendation, I have used them a few times now and the service has been flawless.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your recommendation and use of our services. XCom Global works hard to provide an effective and reasonable solution for international travelers.

-Kenneth Herskind, President
XCom Global
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:34 pm

Clearwire is back with another promo. This time you can get free home or usb modem, free activation and free 1st month: http://www.clear.com/devices?intcmp=home:t1:free_device

I'm 15 days into my service and am still satisfied with the speed and lateny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.