Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

$499 off-lease Macbook (from Tiger direct)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=6713244

Seems really cheap - sure, it is only 1GB/80GB, but this seems like a very decent price for a Macbook, and may be perfect for Mac users looking for a cheap machine for the kids.

Last edited by ScottC; Nov 7, 2010 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
To get the link to work, drop the "&" from the end.

I'd jump on this if I needed an entry-level portable Mac. Then I'd probably spend a few more $ to double the RAM to 2GB. At that point it should be a very usable machine. Not enough disk space for your whole video library, but plenty for travel. (You should have an external drive for backup anyhow, so make that a big one if you have videos, a bazillion photos or a huge music collection. Most places you get videos or music from will let you download it again if something happens, plus you probably have much of it on physical DVDs or some other medium, so backup of those isn't as vital.)
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP
FYI, the specs on the Tiger direct aren't correct, based on the model number it's a MB from Mid 2007 which has Intel GMA 950/mini DVI and the "Multi Touch Trackpad" isn't the same as the new trackpads (no pinch to zoom/three finger swipe). Still not a bad deal. Bump the ram for about $30 to 2GB (or 3GB) and it's a nice system.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
How much to upgrade OS X to Snow Leapord, or at least Leapord?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Efrem
To get the link to work, drop the "&" from the end. ...
The OP has been edited to remove it. The link now works as posted.

Originally Posted by spinjockey
... Bump the ram for about $30 to 2GB (or 3GB) and it's a nice system.
Unless the specs are wrong in this respect as well, which they could be, the maximum possible is 2GB. Should be enough for anything a machine like this is likely to be used for.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
How much to upgrade OS X to Snow Leapord, or at least Leapord?
Snow Leopard (10.6) would require a $30 upgrade CD. It's advertised for 10.5, but reportedly will upgrade 10.4 (comes on this) as well.

If you want 10.5 (Leopard), a clean install CD is $130. No longer available on apple.com, but the telephone sales people have it.

These are official Apple prices, plus shipping and perhaps local sales tax. Both are probably available on eBay, etc., for less.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Centurion
honestly: not worth it, you should be able to buy a 2009 model used on cragislist/ebay for around $500 to $600 also..
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Are Tiger Direct still as scummy as they once were? They used to have a really bad reputation 5-7 years ago for poor service and general bad business.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've found Tiger Direct (and their other sires, CircuitCity.com and CompUSA.com) to be near the tip-top in terms of price, customer service, and shipping time. I still go to NewEgg for most of my computer parts needs, but I like to browse their daily emails and often come across very good deals, especially on refurbished consumer electronics. I've not had a single problem in dozens of orders in the past 5 years.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.