Search

MS Office License?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
MS Office License?

Hi everyone,

I'll admit, I'm technologically challenged & issue a stupid question alert, so please be gentle...

Bought a new laptop earlier this year & ponied up the $89 for the MS Office '07 license since the software was pre-loaded on the machine.

Just bought a new netbook that also came pre-loaded w/the same software, but to activate it I need the license key from the other machine or spend another $89. Where & how would I find the license# on the 1st laptop, other than the receipt from the original purchase I can not find currently (of course!)

Thanks in advance!!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:16 pm

Google on jellybean.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is so totally your friend.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/produc...dof2007key.htm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Google on jellybean.
Thank you-worked perfectly!!!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:52 am

Belarc Adviser also works quite well

It may be a good idea to keep all the results as they tell you the licence numbers of all the software you have installed - including the OS. As I recently discovered the "genuine Windows" sticker gets worn & unreadbale quite quickly if it's on a laptop
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Do you have the software running on the original laptop as well?

If you have it installed on 2 laptops at one time its illegal
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FN-GM

Most MS licenses are good for two machines.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:40 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FN-GM

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Most MS licenses are good for two machines.
Software purchased with a particular machine is licensed under an "OEM License," which is restricted to the specific machine and is not transferrable, even if you first uninstall it from the original machine.

By copying the key from the original machine to the new machine, you are violating the license agreement. The fact that Microsoft's activation servers allowed the machine to activate is more a sign of lax enforcement than legitimate authorization and license to use the software.

Microsoft makes the full text of the license agreement available to you when you install, anytime later from the Help About dialog, or online. Here's the specific text for your situation:

OEM LICENSE TERMS
These license terms are an agreement between you and the device
manufacturer that distributes the software with the device, or the
software installer that distributes the software with the device. Please
read them. They apply to the software that accompanies these license
terms, which includes the media on which you received it, if any.
Printed paper license terms, which may come with the software, take the
place of any on-screen license terms. The terms also apply to any
Microsoft
updates,
supplements,
Internet-based services, and
support services for this software, unless other terms accompany those items. If so,
those terms apply. If you obtain updates or supplements directly from
MS, then these terms apply except that Microsoft, not the manufacturer or
installer, licenses those to you.
By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or
installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit.
As described below, using the software also operates as your consent to
the transmission of certain computer information during activation,
validation, and for Internet-based services.
If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below for
each license you acquire.
1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of one
copy of the software on one device
, along with other rights, all as
described below.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently
assigned to the device with which you acquired the software
. That device
is the licensed device. A hardware partition or blade is considered to
be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device
in your household for use by people who reside there.
The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or
revenue-generating business activities.
b. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed
as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them
on different devices.
Please don't abuse software licenses. If you find the software useful, please consider buying the appropriate license(s). Note that if you buy a retail boxed copy (about $120 on Amazon), the license is valid for 3 separate machines in your household, which is probably a better value for your situation.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baliktad
Software purchased with a particular machine is licensed under an "OEM License," which is restricted to the specific machine and is not transferrable, even if you first uninstall it from the original machine.

By copying the key from the original machine to the new machine, you are violating the license agreement. The fact that Microsoft's activation servers allowed the machine to activate is more a sign of lax enforcement than legitimate authorization and license to use the software.

Microsoft makes the full text of the license agreement available to you when you install, anytime later from the Help About dialog, or online. Here's the specific text for your situation:

Please don't abuse software licenses. If you find the software useful, please consider buying the appropriate license(s). Note that if you buy a retail boxed copy (about $120 on Amazon), the license is valid for 3 separate machines in your household, which is probably a better value for your situation.
Once I buy it, it is mine to do with it as I please. Ford does not limit me to removing and reinstalling the engine into a different car. Microsoft's notice is not much different to me than the "Management not responsible for loss" signs posted in parking garages. Interesting to read, but usually legally worthless.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:02 pm

actually they can

and have been known to prosecute -- probably not you but if a large corporation purchases one version of MS Office and tries to put it on several computers they will prosecute. I am surprised if you can actuall install it on several machines today -- I know you can't with Intuit -- they keep track and allow it on two machines.

It is illegal to put it on several machines -- just as it is illegal to copy music cd's for friends or dvd's.

You may not get caught -- that does not make it legal.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Once I buy it, it is mine to do with it as I please. Ford does not limit me to removing and reinstalling the engine into a different car. Microsoft's notice is not much different to me than the "Management not responsible for loss" signs posted in parking garages. Interesting to read, but usually legally worthless.
Exactly.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Exactly.
No, not exactly. The Retail version of the product may be installed in a different machine (so long as it's been removed from the first), but not the OEM. These products are differently priced, and the discount given OEM licensed products has certain stipulations.

As to your analogy - what if Ford offered a $25,000 Mustang with no limitations, but was willing to sell you an identical one for $12,000 if you agreed never to transplant the engine (perhaps $12k is the bundled price when you purchase a new home).

Yes, it seems silly, but this is what Microsoft has done. In order to sell more copies of Office, they have a bundled price when purchasing a computer. You are arguing that even though you purchased Office at the bundled low price, and even though you were aware that the product was licensed only for the computer you bought it with, you should be able to act as if you paid the full retail price.

No, these kind of things don't happen in other industries. So what?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:07 pm
KCK

Originally Posted by planemechanic
You're right, Ford doesn't limit you, but Microsoft does. You don't buy the software, you buy a license to use it in accordance with the terms of the license.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Gee, you mean after 30 years of moving software from machine to machine as I have seen fit I now need to actually worry about all of those black helicopters flying over my house? Does this mean they might actually be full of software police scanning my computers to see if they are all the original points of installation? Wait, wait, what's that sound. I must rush to the window to see what it is. I will report back if I am ...........
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Gee, you mean after 30 years of moving software from machine to machine as I have seen fit I now need to actually worry about all of those black helicopters flying over my house?
No, you don't have to worry about black helicopters. You just have to worry about a day, maybe tomorrow, maybe 5 years from now, when the license checks are such that a software product that you license for one machine will only work on that one machine for which it is licensed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.