Wiki Posts
Search

ATT Samsung Captivate Upgrade to 2.2 Froyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
ATT Samsung Captivate Upgrade to 2.2 Froyo

Ok, I could not wait after seeing the posting online that 2.2 was leaked and had to make the jump. Overall I am very happy with the update. Here are somet of the things I like the most so far (a few hours )

1. Wifi access point ability. I enabled the mobile AP function and had no problem connecting to my laptop. Up to five devices.

2. Tethering option built in to the wireless and network settings. I doubt I will use that anymore though since the wifi option is available.

3. The ability to turn off packet data (3G/Edge). I had downloaded apps in the past but none of them worked on my phone for some reason. This is a nice function to have.

4. Flash. It is there but seems a little sluggish but works....it is Adobe after all.

5. Applications now breaks out between running, third party, all and on sd card.

6. Apps section added a task manager which lists active apps, ram usage etc.

7. Definitely faster and no lags like I had before.

8. Email. Nothing great here but like everything else the annoying lags and hangs seem to have gone away.

9. GPS seems to be working great now. I locked onto 10/10 satelites within about 30 seconds..never happened before.

10. They added an option to enable/disable gps in the same area that you turn off bluetooth and wifi currently as well as an option to enable/disable auto rotation.

I did lose all my apps and settings etc. Basically, I lost everything that was not on SD storage. So it was like getting a new phone. Not a big deal for me to be honest. I am really happy with this so far as this update gets my everything I was not happy about with the phone before.

Here is a link that I used to do the update.

http://free-pc-guides.com/news/andro...d-online-05090
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why Samsung is not that high on my list - this upgrade has been out for months, and they still don't have an official release for their customers. They promised Froyo "in September", and people still don't have it.

I'm glad you like it - but Froyo is old stuff, people are already looking towards Gingerbread
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I'm really happy I got the Nexus One - including being the first to get updates to Android. Without all the crapware that phone companies install on top I don't need to wait to get a modified release. I really wish the Google plan to market non carrier restricted phones had worked out.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
This is why Samsung is not that high on my list - this upgrade has been out for months, and they still don't have an official release for their customers. They promised Froyo "in September", and people still don't have it.

I'm glad you like it - but Froyo is old stuff, people are already looking towards Gingerbread
You think that's bad? My Moto Cliq has had a leaked 2.1 ROM for the last 2 months at least and no official update. The phone is still officially on 1.6. The 2.1 update was supposed to be released at the end of Q2, but is still MIA.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Ok, I could not wait after seeing the posting online that 2.2 was leaked and had to make the jump.
Interesting ... I've got an i9000 and had 1 (only 3 devices), 2, 3, 6 and 10 (turn off gps, no disable rotate) since I got my 2.1 phone. But a working GPS will be lovely (especially if it means I can disable Skyhook, which insists that I'm based in the Korea rather than the UK).
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ScottC

Honestly, you are right that Samsung is not that great but this update made things right with me. I wanted to like this phone because of it style and visuals but it was just annoying. This update fixed the annoying aspects of the phone.

Now, if Blackberry would just make an Android app I would be set!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.