Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What do people do with stolen computers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do people do with stolen computers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gj83
The Wii was apparently in the Wii box. They left the box on a bed and took the Wii.
Okay that is odd unless they thought the box was too bulky (unlikely with the Wii) or would be damaged too easily whilst they made their getaway.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
A Global Graveyard for Dead Computers in Ghana

The individuals depicted in the above-linked photo essay are not, as far as I know, suspected in any wrongdoing.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:02 pm

My sister had all her computers stolen. The grievous part was the data. Now, she encrypts everything. I haven't gotten to that place, but I feel like I'm skating on thin ice to have any data in unencrypted form. We have an alarm system, but I doubt the local police can really make it here before thieves could grab things and go. So I'm really placing a lot of faith in the signs in the yard. I think everyone should be encrypting, but I haven't gotten to it. Risky.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by adambadam
I have some software on my computer now called Prey (http://preyproject.com/) which sits in the background and can be remotely activated when a computer is lost or stolen, it free and open source. If the thief connects the computer to the internet it can be triggered to take a picture if there is a web cam and it will capture other information like IP address etc that could be useful for law enforcement. I realize this info is a little late now, though thought I would throw it out there for everyone to be aware of.
From Prey's FAQ:

And what if he formats the computer?

That’s a different story. We encourage you to add a BIOS password and disable booting from removable devices on your PC, so that the thief will be forced to boot into the previous installation and thus, not be able to format your hard disk easily.
I'm thinking Prey won't be of much help if the thieves are any level above a pranking teenager.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
At my church, we do Angel Trees. People in a particular community ask for gifts for their children. One mother asked for a computer. I managed to draw that card. I went to a pawn shop and found a computer for about $100. It was full of personal stuff. I just deleted the personal stuff. I didn't even look at it. I then loaded Open Office software.

I assume the computer was stolen. It was my first time at a pawn shop and i was amazed at the stuff for sale. Lots of constuction tools. I have no idea whether it was out of work workers or stolen tools. Furs, jewelry, CDs.

Everyone should go to a pawn shop just for the experience.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by manneca
At my church, we do Angel Trees. People in a particular community ask for gifts for their children. One mother asked for a computer. I managed to draw that card. I went to a pawn shop and found a computer for about $100. It was full of personal stuff. I just deleted the personal stuff. I didn't even look at it. I then loaded Open Office software.

I assume the computer was stolen. It was my first time at a pawn shop and i was amazed at the stuff for sale. Lots of constuction tools. I have no idea whether it was out of work workers or stolen tools. Furs, jewelry, CDs.

Everyone should go to a pawn shop just for the experience.
It didn't enter your head to contact the owner of the information and let them know you had the computer?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
It didn't enter your head to contact the owner of the information and let them know you had the computer?
If it were stolen, then they would be out the $100 and would still have to get another computer to use for the church Angel Tree gift. Better to turn a blind eye to it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'm thinking Prey won't be of much help if the thieves are any level above a pranking teenager.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but the vast majority of crooks are not masterminds. I've tutored prisoners in a medium security facility, and in my limited experience, they're mostly just guys who made dumb decisions without a lot of forethought. I never encountered Hannibal Lecter or someone with a master plan for stealing personal information.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
If the computers aren't brand new then the parts are worth more than the whole and the shell with the serial number goes in the trash. This is especially true of notebooks where a working LCD screen can be sold for nearly as much as the computer cost.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gj83
Last week my house was broken into. The robbers made off with
Epson HD projector
Dell desktop
Toshiba Laptop
Dell laptop
several external hard drives
Wii
PS3
Free Linux dist. cd that came with a magazine
Sell it
Sell it
Sell it
Sell it
Sell them
Keep it or sell it
Sell it
Probably throw it away when they realize what it is.

They likely didn't take the other stuff and it's not as easy to sell. I'm not sure why this should be a mystery. They are likely smart enough not to just post it on craigslist. Unless it's the Wii and PS3. Good luck figuring out which ones are stolen and not. Same goes with hard drives.

Sorry you were burglarized. I hope you have insurance.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Correct.

I work for the company that makes LoJack for Laptops. We recover a lot of stolen laptops each week.

From an application perspective, the main thing that differentiates our product from Prey and their ilk is our application survives a hard drive reformat / swap and/or a Windows OS re-install.

This means it'll still 'call home' even if the laptop is rebuilt, which is a common scenario - Windows is typically reinstalled to get past a password prompt, but often the data is left in place so the thief can noodle around in it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
If it were stolen, then they would be out the $100 and would still have to get another computer to use for the church Angel Tree gift. Better to turn a blind eye to it.

Wouldn't the pawn shop have to give back the $100 if he had a receipt for it? The store was likely handling stolen goods and I would have thought they would be responsible for giving the computer and $100 back if it could be shown that they were fencing.

Anyone else see the contradiction in giving a presumed stolen piece of property as a church(I'm guessing Christian) gift?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by sapman986
Wouldn't the pawn shop have to give back the $100 if he had a receipt for it? The store was likely handling stolen goods and I would have thought they would be responsible for giving the computer and $100 back if it could be shown that they were fencing.

Anyone else see the contradiction in giving a presumed stolen piece of property as a church(I'm guessing Christian) gift?
I think the assumption that the laptop is stolen because it's in a pawn shop, is not always true. Pawnshops are usually under intense scrutiny by the local police just for this reason, and want nothing to do with stolen items. Too many stolen items and the shop will find itself shut down.

My question - What kind of rich, entitled church is this where people ask for computers as gifts?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by pittpanther
I think the assumption that the laptop is stolen because it's in a pawn shop, is not always true. Pawnshops are usually under intense scrutiny by the local police just for this reason, and want nothing to do with stolen items. Too many stolen items and the shop will find itself shut down.
Perhaps, but the OP assumed it was stolen and still gave it to a fellow church goer. I find that difficult to reconcile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.