[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:44 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Italy pre-paid sim card for Iphone

Originally Posted by losta
Any info on Italy?
I just came back from Italy and activated my iphone with a local sim card from vodaphone and 1 week data plan for 30 euros. vodafone has a variety of data plans depending on your lenght of stay that you can select from the website, the experience was great, it just took a few hours of going to store and setting this up. and some tweaks..

details here:

http://wpjrnl.com/2011/03/27/italy-vodafone-micro-sim/
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by aidanc
[URL=http://www.2degrees.co.nz]

Enabling data

I activated the SIM card in my phone by dialling 200 and went through the voice prompts. Then I topped up the phone with the NZ$20 voucher.

Data is sold by 2degrees in 50MB bundles for NZ$6 (some €3.30) - they call it a data-pack. You send a text BUY 50MB to 233, and it's valid until you use up the 50MB. Link here.
Note that there's now a 100mb pack for NZ$10. Awesome. And all the data settings one could need for most devices is here: http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/settings

What I'd like to figure it out is whether a prepaid account can activate on Blackberry BIS. I'll be using an Android phone but the wife will have a Blackberry. I'm the techie, I'll figure it out but would love to know if anyone has experience with this in NZ.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:08 am

Tescomobile Ireland now have a data plan for €6.99 per 1024MB as a monthly add on. AFAIK they are now offering 3G speeds.
The most interesting aspect is that calls to the US now cost €0.02 per minute.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Poland/Czech ?

Any information on a prepaid data SIM for an Android phone for use in eastern europe would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
Longshot - heading to French Polynesia, Tahiti and Bora Bora, anyone know if you can buy a 3G micro sim for a iPad. I know there is only one carrier, and I haven't been able to determine if they sell a sim. And from what I hear data speeds are slow in FP.

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
What about a source of SIMs for the US?

In Asia, if you need a SIM, you go down to the local market / mall / shopping center and pick one up at a stall or a kiosk.

What is the way to get an inexpensive, US-based SIM?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I use mrsimcard.com when traveling to the US. They ship sims to Europe so I can use it as soon as I land.
Simple Mobile Sims are a good deal, they use the t-mobile network (only Edge on iPhone due to T-Mobile's 3G band in the US).

Simple mobile has an everything unlimited plan for US$ 60 valid for 30 days (unlimited data, voice & global texts).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by fredsxb
I use mrsimcard.com when traveling to the US. They ship sims to Europe so I can use it as soon as I land.
Simple Mobile Sims are a good deal, they use the t-mobile network (only Edge on iPhone due to T-Mobile's 3G band in the US).

Simple mobile has an everything unlimited plan for US$ 60 valid for 30 days (unlimited data, voice & global texts).
$60 in the US for unlimited everything? Really unlimited or some large # for the data limits? That is better than many monthly cell bills.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Truly unlimited AFAIK:
http://www.mysimplemobile.com/

http://www.mrsimcard.com/iphone.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:46 pm
wpj

Originally Posted by Wilbur
What about a source of SIMs for the US?

In Asia, if you need a SIM, you go down to the local market / mall / shopping center and pick one up at a stall or a kiosk.

What is the way to get an inexpensive, US-based SIM?
that's what I did about US sim card for my iphone and I think will work in any phone except maybe BB for data..

ATT sim card with 3G prepaid
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:48 pm
wpj

Originally Posted by slickalick
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the ATT 3G Data Pre-Paid plans for IPad? Can i just walk into an ATT store and ask for a micro-sim and then activate on the Ipad directly?

I have a 45 day trip to the US coming up and i definitely don't want to do roaming for that length of time!

Thank you for your help!
for the ipad you can walk in the ATT store and get a sim card, activate in store or online with the ipad.

for online activation you have to have a US card and address.

for in store activation, not sure, it will depend on the store I guess if they can enter a fake address or something like that. I used a forwarding address I have, and worked fine.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by wpj
that's what I did about US sim card for my iphone and I think will work in any phone except maybe BB for data..

ATT sim card with 3G prepaid
Well ATT prepaid don't have the option of unlimited data, the best you can get is 100 Mb which is, IMHO, not enough. So I'd rather have unlimited data on Edge with T-Mobile than 3G speed with a 100Mb cap...
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:49 am

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
Originally Posted by fredsxb
Truly unlimited AFAIK:
http://www.mysimplemobile.com/
It's a shame it's on T-Mobile and so I won't be able to use 3G on my iPhone, but it's still heaps better value than paying $20 per 100mb on AT&T, plus looking at Simple Mobile's website it all seems very easy. Their activation form doesn't even require you to enter an address unless you want to!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:07 pm

Anyone have any experience with Vodafone in The Netherlands and data for a smartphone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone I want to use. Thing is we are in The Netherlands for 10 days. 2 days in London and 2 days in Paris. Now I see Vodafone in The Netherlands has a Smartphone SIM with 1GB of data. Great for The Netherlands but I also see the Internet op Reis Dagbundel Blox which translated means day trip bundle. From what I'm reading for 2 euro I can have up to 20MB in other European countries of data on that same sim. I have to text in to activate that bundle each day I'm in another country. Seems like it might be more economical to do that and spend 8 euro for my data in those countries rather than buy 2 other SIM's. My uncle in Holland doesn't htink it will work but he isn't very familiar with smartphones. Anyone know anything about it? http://www.vodafone.nl/mobiel_bellen...et_buitenland/
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by mommieMara
Anyone have any experience with Vodafone in The Netherlands and data for a smartphone.
Don't have personal experience with it working in London (though I believe it would), but I got a vodafone SIM in the Netherlands and was able to use it in Paris.

More details on what I did: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16153986-post617.html

I believe the plan you've found for €2 per day is the right one. Might want to find a Vodafone shop when you get there and talk to them in person to see what works best for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.