FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1078836-consolidated-vpn-provider-recommendations.html)

StuckInYYZ Apr 28, 2023 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35210137)
Is TF a reliable news source?

I find them to be. They usually focus on piracy trends and activities (eg, ACE or Rights Alliance) but they occasionally include some privacy stuff that is interesting reading as well. If you look at some of their lawsuit related news, you'll often see the related legal documents. Sometimes they're also attacked (and cited) by the anti-piracy agencies.

Visconti Apr 29, 2023 9:53 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 35210150)
I find them to be. They usually focus on piracy trends and activities (eg, ACE or Rights Alliance) but they occasionally include some privacy stuff that is interesting reading as well. If you look at some of their lawsuit related news, you'll often see the related legal documents. Sometimes they're also attacked (and cited) by the anti-piracy agencies.

Pretty interesting read!

frappant Apr 29, 2023 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 35210014)
This is what we ended up doing to bypass the content restrictions for tv in Canada. Put a tiny OpenVPN box on our ATT modem in California and the box on mom’s Rogers modem in Canada and her Roku stick connects to that box.

Wireguard performance was terrible but when we switched to Open VPN it worked perfectly including HD content

So what are the advantages of WG over OVPN? Better security?

pseudoswede Apr 29, 2023 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 35209866)
By your handle I assume you're "from" there, so maybe you could get a friend or family member there to host an OpenVPN/Wireguard server router for you? That way there's no blocking (as it looks just like a residential SE/... internet connection).

I'm just a boring American. :)

How much bandwidth would a server router take up when we are streaming? Granted, it would most likely be connected to a fiber internet connection, but I don't want it to be a bandwidth hog--even if most of our viewing would occur in the middle of the night in Sweden.

StuckInYYZ Apr 29, 2023 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by frappant (Post 35211631)
So what are the advantages of WG over OVPN? Better security?

Wireguard code is supposed to be simpler and thus faster and in theory, more secure. At a guess, bocastephen was likely connected to a service that was overloaded. Most commercial VPN providers are currently still using OVPN and haven't dedicated as many resources to WG just yet. It's interesting how some IT moves at lightning speeds yet others move slower than a snail's pace.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 35211914)
How much bandwidth would a server router take up when we are streaming? Granted, it would most likely be connected to a fiber internet connection, but I don't want it to be a bandwidth hog--even if most of our viewing would occur in the middle of the night in Sweden.

Depends on the video stream, but basically a little over double (in + out + encryption overhead) of what it would normally be. One thing you have to keep in mind, residential bandwidth is often not symmetrical. You may have 100gbit download and 30gbit upload. For most people, that's plenty. But if you are re-streaming multiple things, that could be an issue.

frappant Apr 29, 2023 11:45 pm

I am using OVPN on my home router and just returned from Spain where I had a Vodafone ES SIM card with 5G access.

In the US that SIM roams on AT&T 5G.

At my home that connection is getting 530/90 speeds. But turn on the OVPN and that becomes 30/12, because my Comcast home connection upload is only about 30 Mbps upload.

DYKWIA Apr 30, 2023 2:09 am

I use PiVPN (along with PiHole for ad blocking). You get the option of using OpenVPN or WireGuard (I use WireGuard). Whenever I'm away, I just connect to that, and it appears that I'm in the UK. So, I get BBC iPlayer / ITVx without issue.

It doesn't have to be installed onto a RPI, mine is running on a an Intel NUC with Ubuntu.

gfunkdave Apr 30, 2023 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 35212264)
Wireguard code is supposed to be simpler and thus faster and in theory, more secure. At a guess, bocastephen was likely connected to a service that was overloaded. Most commercial VPN providers are currently still using OVPN and haven't dedicated as many resources to WG just yet. It's interesting how some IT moves at lightning speeds yet others move slower than a snail's pace.

Wireguard’s code base is on the order of 4000 lines, while OpenVPN’s + its dependencies is a few hundred thousand lines. A smaller code base is easier to understand and offers fewer ways to make mistakes, which is what can lead to security issues.

WireGuard is faster than OpenVPN both because of its simpler design and because it defaults to using more modern protocols that are supported in hardware and therefore faster.

frappant May 1, 2023 6:20 pm

Are WG clients common now?

Or are WG servers supported in a lot of routers?

StuckInYYZ May 1, 2023 11:57 pm

I know major VPN providers provide at least some level of WG, but most users are still on OVPN. This should change if/once providers use WG as the default rather than the experimental agent/client. Much different for enterprise level stuff. That'll take years to happen as it's a whole hardware swap for many of them (although as things become EOL, maybe not....)

KRSW May 2, 2023 2:47 pm

Does anyone here use VPNs to find cheaper reservations? I heard it's a thing but haven't found anyone who actually uses one for that. I'm not doing anything naught on the 'net, so I just VPN back to my office's VPN or my home VPN.

lsquare May 2, 2023 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 35219111)
Does anyone here use VPNs to find cheaper reservations? I heard it's a thing but haven't found anyone who actually uses one for that. I'm not doing anything naught on the 'net, so I just VPN back to my office's VPN or my home VPN.

I have heard about this, but I have never seen any real-life examples.

StuckInYYZ May 2, 2023 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 35219111)

The travel vloggers flog this every chance they get. But I would warn against it. Sure you might save a few bucks if you find the right country to buy from (NOTE, you could be spending a lot of time looking)... but depending on your usage pattern, you could get your card(s) flagged for suspicious behaviour and locked if you're not careful. You might also get caught in a conversion rate that negates any savings.

I personally value my time more than the majority of any savings that might be had (usually not that much).

lsquare May 2, 2023 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 35219516)
The travel vloggers flog this every chance they get. But I would warn against it. Sure you might save a few bucks if you find the right country to buy from (NOTE, you could be spending a lot of time looking)... but depending on your usage pattern, you could get your card(s) flagged for suspicious behaviour and locked if you're not careful. You might also get caught in a conversion rate that negates any savings.

I personally value my time more than the majority of any savings that might be had (usually not that much).

This actually happened to me last week. Citi blocked my transaction in Canada and I had to immediately call the fraud department. Thank god T-Mobile provides free calling within North America.

StuckInYYZ May 2, 2023 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35219525)
This actually happened to me last week. Citi blocked my transaction in Canada and I had to immediately call the fraud department. Thank god T-Mobile provides free calling within North America.

Canada isn't as bad or exotic. A long time ago, I had my banking card locked while in China trying to withdraw cash (from a banking machine inside a physical bank) and that was after I had called before leaving saying I would be in China (I even named the cities I would be in) between xx and yy. In my case, I was lucky that I had Skype and it was functional (Google and the other services were already banned) so I made the call via coffeeshop wifi. Not the greatest solution, but the other possibilities weren't very good.