FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1078836-consolidated-vpn-provider-recommendations.html)

WIRunner Nov 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Just as an FYI, FlyerTalk blocks access if you're using PIA.

wco81 Nov 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Why?

I was considering them ...

dyung Nov 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 27523419)
Just as an FYI, FlyerTalk blocks access if you're using PIA.

Not necessarily, I'm currently accessing FlyerTalk while using PIA. I find when it does happen, usually just disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the problem (since you get a new IP).

javabytes Nov 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 27523757)
Why?

I was considering them ...

While your intentions may be pure, VPNs are also used by spammers, scammers, and other scum of the Internet. Especially if you are using the largest VPN providers, you may find yourself blocked by websites that have had problems with abuse originating from the VPN providers' IP address ranges.

MAN Pax Nov 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Zooter (Post 26883599)
What about the VPN that comes baked into Opera Developer?

Reviving this as no-one seemed to catch on. The latest version of Opera has a VPN built in and is accessible when you start a private browsing session. Click on VPN in the address bar and away you go.

wco81 Nov 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Can you stream Netflix or HBO Go over it from overseas?

cblaisd Mar 31, 2017 7:32 am

Given the latest good news out of DC :rolleyes: any newer recommendations about the most secure VPNs?

Coolers Mar 31, 2017 7:46 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 28110770)
Given the latest good news out of DC :rolleyes: any newer recommendations about the most secure VPNs?

I went looking for a new provider a couple months ago. My search led me to NordVPN and AirVPN, the latter having very no-frills software that looks straight out of the Windows XP era.

TravelinSperry Mar 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 28110770)

PIA (States) & Mullvad (Europe) are some of the best: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simpl...parison-chart/

And flyertalk surely doesn't block them specifically. Just renew/refresh or choose a different area and you'll get in (since it will swap your IP).

Many sites attempt to block known spammy IPs and sometimes the IP you connected to gets caught. Likely the VPN will stop using it shortly.

tmiw Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Do you guys feel comfortable with these VPN providers from a privacy standpoint? To be honest, I'm not sure I am. I'm considering setting up OpenVPN on my server I have hosted at a data center; it's very unlikely they'd sell traffic data to other companies IMO.

On the other hand, the other providers at least make it so I don't have to maintain yet another service.

nmenaker Mar 31, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm pretty comfortable with providers that say in the T&C's that they store no logs, like torguard,

angra Mar 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Honestly, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and which failure cases matter most to you. If you just don't like having your data sold, I feel very comfortable with Torguard and PIA.

WIRunner Mar 31, 2017 3:31 pm

I've been extremely happy with PIA. Even if flyer talk blocks their IPs from accessing the site. The only other issue I have with them is that I can't seem to get them to connect when using gogo inflight. I would like to have that behind the VPN when browsing, I guess I just need to figure out a plan B.

Calliopeflyer Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 28112518)
Do you guys feel comfortable with these VPN providers from a privacy standpoint? To be honest, I'm not sure I am. I'm considering setting up OpenVPN on my server I have hosted at a data center; it's very unlikely they'd sell traffic data to other companies IMO.

On the other hand, the other providers at least make it so I don't have to maintain yet another service.

What are you not comfortable about? For instance, I am not comfortable using a US-based VPN, for various reasons. I am comfortable that paid VPNs that state they don't keep logs of use won't sell my data (that they haven't logged)....I would not trust a free VPN.

tmiw Mar 31, 2017 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer (Post 28113318)
What are you not comfortable about? For instance, I am not comfortable using a US-based VPN, for various reasons. I am comfortable that paid VPNs that state they don't keep logs of use won't sell my data (that they haven't logged)....I would not trust a free VPN.

It's a matter of trust, really. I can't be 100% sure that the VPN providers who supposedly don't sell data aren't actually doing so. It could just be me being really paranoid though.