FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1078836-consolidated-vpn-provider-recommendations.html)

smc333 May 11, 2017 11:54 am

This thread is 22 pages long now and I hope I'm not repeating anybody, but...

Anyone interested in getting a VPN should keep an eye on Humble Bundle. Every couple of months they have a bundle that includes a year of VPN access. It's usually $15 and you get all the other software in the bundle as well. I got a year's access to Ghostify that way and so far I'm happy with it. I set up a Linux virtual machine on my computer with the Ghostify VPN configured on it. That way I can get normal USA Netflix/Hulu, etc but I have the VPN when I need it. They just had one that expired, so it'll probably be a few weeks until another VPN offer comes up.

KRSW Feb 8, 2018 3:35 pm

::BUMP::

Well, the Olympics start tomorrow and as always, in the USA, NBC's coverage will be pathetic at best, unwatchable at worst. I'm expecting BBC to do stellar coverage like they did for the last Olympics.

What's everyone using for a VPN these days?

nmenaker Feb 8, 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 29395843)

Well, the Olympics start tomorrow and as always, in the USA, NBC's coverage will be pathetic at best, unwatchable at worst. I'm expecting BBC to do stellar coverage like they did for the last Olympics.

still totally happy with torguard and nord vpn. Use both for various applications and devices.

both have 2 week trials, should cover the olympics

nkedel Feb 8, 2018 3:50 pm

Since I got gigabit fiber at home, I just use an OpenVPN server running on my home router. As a plus, it shows up as I'm at home for web site security flags, and for AT&T's limited streaming options.

I'm still paid up through next year on Witopia, but haven't been using it and won't renew.

Failing that, I would still be pretty happy with Witopia if I didn't have a better option for free.

Calliopeflyer Feb 8, 2018 8:47 pm

Still very happy with Tunnelbear - they don't allow torrents, which is fine by me, and I like that it's not US based. Still easy and efficient.

Hammad Rafique Mar 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Have you tried PureVPN? I think it's the best one on internet and cheaper too, i bought it in $40 for a year and have 70k ips in it. Also it;s faster than HMA and other VPNs.

LondonElite Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Very happy so far with ExpressVPN.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm

I switched to VPN Unlimited a few months back, as my last 2 year subscription ran out. They had a lifetime subscription for Cyber Monday, so for $30, so it seemed a reasonable bet. Works fine, for the most part.

Doesn’t work for streaming Hulu from Asia, but I would have been surprised if it worked.

linsj Aug 16, 2018 8:39 am

I've been using Hotspot Shield for years and posted this fact on another forum when someone asked about VPNs. Another user posted this in reply:
Hot Shield has several problems:
  • It's more expensive.
  • This service logs....
  • It leaks...
  • It is under the purview of '5 eyes' alliance rules. If you don't know what this is.....google it
  • It's slow in the US.
#1 isn't true. I pay $30/year, which is much cheaper than NordVPN that he recommended, as well as most, if not all, of the other top-rated VPNs. I searched the latest reviews and didn't find confirmation for #2-4, and I've never noticed a slow-down when using it. I had to look up #3 but don't fully understand it.

Should I be concerned about these items and switch to another VPN? With its current price special, NordVPN would be the logical alternative.

PackingIt Aug 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Pricing page for Hotspot Shield shows $72/year. Where is $30/year?

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 30089348)
I've been using Hotspot Shield for years and posted this fact on another forum when someone asked about VPNs. Another user posted this in reply:
Hot Shield has several problems:
  • It's more expensive.
  • This service logs....
  • It leaks...
  • It is under the purview of '5 eyes' alliance rules. If you don't know what this is.....google it
  • It's slow in the US.
#1 isn't true. I pay $30/year, which is much cheaper than NordVPN that he recommended, as well as most, if not all, of the other top-rated VPNs. I searched the latest reviews and didn't find confirmation for #2-4, and I've never noticed a slow-down when using it. I had to look up #3 but don't fully understand it.

Should I be concerned about these items and switch to another VPN? With its current price special, NordVPN would be the logical alternative.

linsj Aug 22, 2018 6:43 am

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 30113559)
Pricing page for Hotspot Shield shows $72/year. Where is $30/year?

That's what they've been charging me. Why, I don't know.

wco81 Nov 28, 2018 9:52 am

So there seem to be a lot of sites generating "best VPN" lists all the time, probably because they get some kind of commission if people click through the links?

Some of these articles are touting Black Friday or Cyber Monday pricing now. For instance:

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-vpn

Are these "special" 1, 2 or 3-year deals available round the year or is it as they claim a sale around this time of year?

I'm thinking of biting on PIA for 1 year at $39.95 but they also offer 2 years for $69.95.

I'd be inclined to do one year, to make sure the service is as good as promised, before committing to more than a year. If I do one year, am I likely to find comparable pricing a year from now?

Mainly curious about whether Netflix and others are blocking the IPs from these VPN providers or if they keep getting new blocks of IPs and are playing a cat and mouse game.

Or is Netflix eventually going to be able to block the IPs of most of the well-known VPN providers?

LordHamster Nov 28, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29570131)
Very happy so far with ExpressVPN.

ExpressVPN and VyprVPN worked best for me in China. I ended up keeping ExpressVPN even after china... works great and is super-easy to use on all my devices.

nmenaker Nov 28, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 30476051)
So there seem to be a lot of sites generating "best VPN" lists all the time, probably because they get some kind of commission if people click through the links?

Some of these articles are touting Black Friday or Cyber Monday pricing now. For instance:

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-vpn

Are these "special" 1, 2 or 3-year deals available round the year or is it as they claim a sale around this time of year?

I'm thinking of biting on PIA for 1 year at $39.95 but they also offer 2 years for $69.95.

I'd be inclined to do one year, to make sure the service is as good as promised, before committing to more than a year. If I do one year, am I likely to find comparable pricing a year from now?

Mainly curious about whether Netflix and others are blocking the IPs from these VPN providers or if they keep getting new blocks of IPs and are playing a cat and mouse game.

Or is Netflix eventually going to be able to block the IPs of most of the well-known VPN providers?

Most VPN providors will give a LARGE bouty to a site or influencer who gets a customer to sign up through an affiliation promo or link. It can be 5$, to 25$ depending on the provider and term purchased.

Most of these "deals" are available pretty much year round. I use a couple, for various reasons, nord and torguard. The 99$ three year NORD is pretty much always available. TG for 25-30$ a year is also pretty much always available too.

wco81 Nov 28, 2018 11:52 am

Hmm, I thought PIA at 439.95 was the lowest. Will have to check out Torguard.