Reload this Page >

Recommendations for noise canceling headphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for noise canceling headphones

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:54 am

I have Bose QC1 and QC2 but I now use the newish Nokia BH905 headphones. They're an 'on top of the ear' which work with wires on planes etc. but work wirelessly using Bluetooth when on the ground and which work as BT headsets for phone use as well. Win Win Win and, I think, a better quality sound than the Bose as well.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I have had QC2 and still have QC3, but if your problem is the voices of people around you, then you are looking for the wrong thing. They dont eliminate the voices, but they do cut out the engine noise. You will still be able to hear the screaming kids and the tedious bores drone on in the seat behind!!

What i think you probably need is noise insulating earbuds. I have a set of Etymotics ER6i and these do exactly what you seem to be seeking. They are noise cancelling in that they are isolating you from the environment. You will have to pull one out to hear FA asking you for meal choices, or in-flight announcements. Your MP3 will be the only thing you hear (if you plug one in). They are very comfortable. i had them in for a 5 hour flight yesterday.

Feel free to pm me if you want more advice. Since i bought a set of ER6i's i no longer travel with the QC3s. Speaks for itself?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Anyone have any thoughts on the Sennheiser PXC-350 model of headphones? My QC2's are having technical difficulties as the sound is out on the left side so I a thinking of getting a different brand and found this model refurbed for about $120.
Ok, so I called Bose and they will replace my QC2's with QC15's for $89. So, I think I will go that route but may still look into a second set of headphones as a backup.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by antichef
I have had QC2 and still have QC3, but if your problem is the voices of people around you, then you are looking for the wrong thing. They dont eliminate the voices, but they do cut out the engine noise. You will still be able to hear the screaming kids and the tedious bores drone on in the seat behind!!
no noise canceling headphone will cancel out the screaming kids or personal noise. The sound system needs a CONSTANT sound to adequately cancel it out. Some people like an in ear WITH an NC over the ear combo. Too much hardware IMHO, but it provides the best solution.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Some people like an in ear WITH an NC over the ear combo. Too much hardware IMHO, but it provides the best solution.
Or in-ear with active noise cancelling circuits. They do work quite well.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:06 am
formerly lelandv

Had the QC 1 & 2 now have the 15's...best purchase EVER.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: US lowlife
I'm seriously considering the QC15's... Is there any better place to purchase them, or do all retailers have them for the same price?

JC
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by antichef

What i think you probably need is noise insulating earbuds. I have a set of Etymotics ER6i and these do exactly what you seem to be seeking. They are noise cancelling in that they are isolating you from the environment. You will have to pull one out to hear FA asking you for meal choices, or in-flight announcements. Your MP3 will be the only thing you hear (if you plug one in). They are very comfortable. i had them in for a 5 hour flight yesterday.

Feel free to pm me if you want more advice. Since i bought a set of ER6i's i no longer travel with the QC3s. Speaks for itself?
There is also the bulk factor. I keep my Etymotics in my jacket breast pocket with my iPhone, and have music/silence without having to pull it out of a bag.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by lelandv
Had the QC 1 & 2 now have the 15's...best purchase EVER.
Really good to hear! What makes them better than the QC2's?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
The problem I have had with around the ear headphones is the changes in air pressure over time. For me, after about 3 hours I was constantly taking the headphones off to let my ears relax. With the on ear headphones (QC3) I have not had the same problem.

I would recommend the Bose QC3 with no qualms. They've been very good and reliable. I have had no issues with breakage since I bought them several years ago.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Ok, so I called Bose and they will replace my QC2's with QC15's for $89. So, I think I will go that route but may still look into a second set of headphones as a backup.
I did the same and received the new QC15, It is the best way to go.

However my wife has a pair of PXC 300 Sennheisers that cost $135. that we have used for 3 years and they seem very durable. Much more durable than my QC2 that broke with light useage. The PXC 300 are also quite compact and easy to place in my carry on. The QC2 are bulky.

I prefer over the ear headphones. I can only wear the PCX300 s for an hour before my ears become irritated.

What do I prefer: The QC15 without a doubt. Even though they are bulky and not very durable. ( I hope this helps??)
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by 2old4coach
I did the same and received the new QC15, It is the best way to go.

However my wife has a pair of PXC 300 Sennheisers that cost $135. that we have used for 3 years and they seem very durable. Much more durable than my QC2 that broke with light useage. The PXC 300 are also quite compact and easy to place in my carry on. The QC2 are bulky.

I prefer over the ear headphones. I can only wear the PCX300 s for an hour before my ears become irritated.

What do I prefer: The QC15 without a doubt. Even though they are bulky and not very durable. ( I hope this helps??)
Yes it does. Is the sound better from the QC15's than the PCX300's? I have never thought the audio from the QC2's was the best. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:01 am

For those interested in a cheaper option. Here is another deal on the Sony NC7 model.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-mdr-nc7...209945542.html
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Yes it does. Is the sound better from the QC15's than the PCX300's? I have never thought the audio from the QC2's was the best. Thanks for sharing the info.
The QC 15 has the best sound ( I have heard) for noise reduction headphones.

The PCX 300 is ok, but not as good as the Bose 2,3 or 15.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by 2old4coach
The QC 15 has the best sound ( I have heard) for noise reduction headphones.

The PCX 300 is ok, but not as good as the Bose 2,3 or 15.
Thanks again, I am now looking forward to getting them when they arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.