Reload this Page >

Traveling abroad, power converter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling abroad, power converter?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just be careful with the adapters... I had a 'universal' type one that was not 'snug'... tried using it on the train in Spain- it was dislodged slightly and when I went to unplug it, I got a bit of a jolt
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:57 pm

Delete.

Last edited by Tizzette; Jul 27, 2011 at 3:23 pm Reason: Delete.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:10 pm

I have one similar to this but made by Targus. I think I paid even less than this at Bloomingdales' one year right after Christmas. Shocking these didn't sell better. I bought two of them and love them. Good size for briefcase or suitcase and has covered everywhere I've ever been (and my passport has a lot of pages stamped). Note: This won't work as a transformer - just an adapter. This beats the heck out of the loose ones IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripshell-Inte...ref=pd_sim_e_3
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Did some searching on the topic, and this was the closest thread I could find! Sorry for the old thread re-hash.

I'm traveling to Europe in a few weeks, and am looking to minimize clutter and carrying only a couple plug adapters. I'd like to use my Belkin Travel Surge Protector (I also saw it linked on the first page of this thread!), but can this think be safely used on European 220V plugs?

I'm not worried about my devices; I know the power adapters can take 110V-220V power. I'm just curious if I'd fry the surge protector. Also, would the USB plugs still work?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
If you have a Fry's nearby, they have inexpensive adaptors.

Don't assume all of your devices have world supplies. Check the supplies them selves. I ahve multiple devices that are travel realted that only operate on 120V.

Also, DO NOT plug a laptop into a 60W power converter. In one case, it is likely not necessary and secondarily, the power converters are only good for about 60W which will blow from the load of your laptop (Experience talking here)

Also, US power strips with a converter are not a given either. I blew a circuit (and destroyed a power strip) in Dresden Germany once when I tried to use one. Had worked previously, but the stress from the extra voltage weakened it and POP!!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:23 pm

Your Belkin surge protector would work but only through a step-up or step-down power converter.

If purchased in North America, a 110-120v rated surge protector will protect your device from a surge UP or DOWN in the normal, specified electrical power supply ( we sometimes use the term power mains here ). Thus, a surge in 110V power ( your normal specified power voltage ) would be the expected power specified for your device if it operates at 110-120v.

220-250v for any 110v device could be lethal. It would probably jump any cold fuse, speed over and damage any internal power transformer, and thus fry the circuit board of any such device. An expensive repair with the added bonus of lost data.

I have seen only one 110-250v 50/60 Hz surge protector. It was huge and not intended as a travel appliance. Check the specifications actually printed or labelled on the device to ensure this will work for you during your travels. These are good valuable devices, but if they will not work for you in the countries you plan on visiting, the added baggage weight and bulk will not reward your good effort.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Your Belkin surge protector would work but only through a step-up or step-down power converter.

If purchased in North America, a 110-120v rated surge protector will protect your device from a surge UP or DOWN in the normal, specified electrical power supply ( we sometimes use the term power mains here ). Thus, a surge in 110V power ( your normal specified power voltage ) would be the expected power specified for your device if it operates at 110-120v.

220-250v for any 110v device could be lethal. It would probably jump any cold fuse, speed over and damage any internal power transformer, and thus fry the circuit board of any such device. An expensive repair with the added bonus of lost data.

I have seen only one 110-250v 50/60 Hz surge protector. It was huge and not intended as a travel appliance. Check the specifications actually printed or labelled on the device to ensure this will work for you during your travels. These are good valuable devices, but if they will not work for you in the countries you plan on visiting, the added baggage weight and bulk will not reward your good effort.
Yes this is what I was afraid of! Thanks for the tip.

I'll just carry a bunch of plug adapters for my devices; I certainly don't want to carry around a 220v->120v power transformer.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Or you could do as us Europeans do: don't bother with a surge protector at all.
(depends what country I guess but I've never in 40 years had anything blow up in the UK or France)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potfish
Or you could do as us Europeans do: don't bother with a surge protector at all.
(depends what country I guess but I've never in 40 years had anything blow up in the UK or France)
I'm in the same boat. From what I understand, in the last 10-15 years utilities have become much better about voltage stabilization. I remember that when I was in high school it was not uncommon for ComEd's voltage to vary up and down throughout the day from as low as 110V to as high as 128...now it stays pretty constant at about 122.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm in the same boat. From what I understand, in the last 10-15 years utilities have become much better about voltage stabilization. I remember that when I was in high school it was not uncommon for ComEd's voltage to vary up and down throughout the day from as low as 110V to as high as 128...now it stays pretty constant at about 122.
It used to be that the UK was 240V and Europe 220V, each of those with an allowed tolerance, so all equipment for sale in those markets was designed to accept a wide range of input voltage rather than having two different models.

Now we're harmonious in the EU it's specified as 230V, but nothing's changed. It's 230V plus/minus a wider tolerance so it could be anywhere in the same range as before.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:55 pm

It is not a power transformer the size of a car battery you would need, it is a converter the size of a pack of cigarettes, if you are taking anything that is not dual voltage. Get one that has two settings: low (50 watt) for non heating stuff like chargers, and high (up to 1650 or 1800 watts) for hair dryers, travel iron, water kettle, and other heating appliances. With the converter, you will still need the correct pronged plug adapter to plug it in the foreign outlet, and you will need a US grounding plug adapter to use two prong plugs in the converter's three prong receptacle.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
It is not a power transformer the size of a car battery you would need, it is a converter the size of a pack of cigarettes, if you are taking anything that is not dual voltage. Get one that has two settings: low (50 watt) for non heating stuff like chargers, and high (up to 1650 or 1800 watts) for hair dryers, travel iron, water kettle, and other heating appliances. With the converter, you will still need the correct pronged plug adapter to plug it in the foreign outlet, and you will need a US grounding plug adapter to use two prong plugs in the converter's three prong receptacle.
I don't know what to make of the small high wattage transformers I see from some sources. I suppose they have some built in thermal protection that will shut them off before they get too hot.

A 1500 VA (= to watts basically) industrial transformer is the size of half a shoe box and weighs about 25 pounds. But you can buy something like this

and give it a shot. VCT Electronics seems to be an amazon storefront only so I doubt they are the manufacturer of that device.

It's hard to tell about that Belkin surge protector. Their website offers neither specs nor a manual for it. If it doesn't say 240v on it somewhere, it probably won't work in Europe and would probably be cooked if you try it.

Here is one, however, that states clearly that it will work on 120 or 240 and looks pretty legit. That little one listed earlier in the thread with all the different male plugs built in might be OK, but only has one female plug. If you need to plug several things in at once and all are rated for 240 volt (there is no difference between 220, 230 and 240 in this context), this would do it.

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...iversaloutlets
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As a rule of thumb I use a plug adapter with voltage converter when I use the Belkin with 230V service. This combo unit is not much larger than the mini soda can and has protruding pins that you set for the plug that you are plugging into.
The surge protection of the Belkin is unknown at 230V as well as the output of the USB.
I need to be sure of 110V input due to charging devices using the USB power output of the Belkin. It is handy to have 3 110V North America outlets and 2 USB which will handle 5 devices.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have one of the Belkin surge suppressors, and it says on back, "Maximum load 15A 125V 60Hz 1875W".

So I wouldn't plug it directly into a European outlet.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Priorityclub Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
i have no idea which ill need....can anyone help advise me? thanks a ton!
There is one advise, I miss until now here. I cannot recommend any adapter US ->EU, as I use it the other way round (EU -> whatever). However, something I learned when travelling with a couple of colleagues for work, the smaller the device, the better. There is never anything as annoying as having the right plug but not being able to use it because it is blocked by some surrounding plugs. Or my favorite, I had one all-world-multi adapter. Great tool, well build and HEAVY. That heavy, that it fell of the wall if plugged in horizontally.
jaburu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.