Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Traveling abroad, power converter?

Old Mar 28, 10, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

I almost never go abroad, but this summer ill be traveling to Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco. I'll ofc be traveling with my laptop, iphone, etc, and a friend mentioned to me that i may need adapters to plug everything in over there. while researching it i came across sites listing both "plug adapters" and "power converters" eg:
Plug adaptor
or
Power Converter

i have no idea which ill need....can anyone help advise me? thanks a ton!
Old Mar 28, 10, 11:37 am

I doubt you will need power converters for the devices you mentioned. They should accept 110-250 odd volts (and be marked on the charger).

Power adaptors are required. There are plenty of 'universal' ones available, but won't recommend any as I'm yet to find one I really like.
Old Mar 28, 10, 11:56 am
Original Poster

alright sweet, much cheaper that way too! thx
Old Mar 28, 10, 12:29 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Look at the power adapters for any of the devices you are taking. Make sure they are rated up to 240 or so volts and you are fine. I once had a "world phone" that came with only a 120 volt power supply - very annoying.

$65 is way more than you need to spend. I have one like this and it works fine, although I prefer the individual adapters like this, but you would need several different styles based on your itinerary I think.
Old Mar 28, 10, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
I almost never go abroad, but this summer ill be traveling to Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco. I'll ofc be traveling with my laptop, iphone, etc, and a friend mentioned to me that i may need adapters to plug everything in over there. while researching it i came across sites listing both "plug adapters" and "power converters" eg:
Plug adaptor
or
Power Converter

You need plug adapters. The devices you mentioned, usually come with universal power adapters that work on 100-240 V and 50/60Hz. All you need is an adapter that allows your plugs to fit the sockets in those countries.

It's an issue of electrical anatomy, of matching male and female parts.
Old Mar 28, 10, 1:51 pm

You can spend as little as $10 on decent adapters, try Amazon or your local Radio Shack. Many people have preferences. I have used and lost many types so now I just get the cheapest. You'll have at least three different types of plugs on your trip so get a universal adapter.
Old Mar 28, 10, 2:29 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
delted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 19 at 3:01 pm
Old Mar 28, 10, 2:46 pm

Plug adaptor
or
Power Converter

Check THIS out. That would be all you need.
Old Mar 28, 10, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Along with the adapter that everyone is recommending I also have this adapter from Belkin which I plug in to the adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Su...9810365&sr=1-1

Most adapter/converter only give you one plug. The Belkin extends that to give you 3 standard US plug as well as 2 usb powered plug. I am able to charge/use - camera, blackberry, netbook, mp3 player. Just perfect for guys with all the toys and the ability to recharge them all.
Old Mar 28, 10, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

found This one at bestbuy, i have a gift card there i can use....should work right?
Old Mar 28, 10, 3:43 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wow, you guys make it big and expensive.

I use 50 cent adapters that take no room at all.

Search ebay for item number 190383672364

By having a few in my bag, I don't get in trouble if I leave one in an outlet somewhere.

Last edited by roberto99; Mar 28, 10 at 3:50 pm
Old Mar 28, 10, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
Wow, you guys make it big and expensive.

I use 50 cent adapters that take no room at all.

Search ebay for item number 190383672364

By having a few in my bag, I don't get in trouble if I leave one in an outlet somewhere.
Trust me I've used those, and after using them for a while I have to replace them because of loose connection. I agree they are cheaper but for a reason! At least that's my experience.
Old Mar 28, 10, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by moonquake View Post
Trust me I've used those, and after using them for a while I have to replace them because of loose connection. I agree they are cheaper but for a reason! At least that's my experience.
And conversely even the more expensive ones aren't always good. Have used one like this: http://www.swisstravelproducts.com/i...product_id=162 and one of the flimsy plastic pins broke (the one that holds the bit where you plug things into onto the base)

I also don't trust some of the other multi-adaptors as I suspect they will also wear out quickly too due to the way prongs etc are stored.
Old Mar 29, 10, 2:37 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
For the countries you mention, the cheapo eBay adapters will be just fine. Reference here: http://users.telenet.be/worldstandar...city.htm#plugs

(Even if you find yourself travelling to the UK you can use these, with a bit of bravery)
Old Mar 29, 10, 7:32 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
found This one at bestbuy, i have a gift card there i can use....should work right?
Will work, but still more than you need to spend.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: