Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Using my US iphone in UK but not for calls...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using my US iphone in UK but not for calls...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:16 pm

Mcubed,

I saw an article today in the USA today about how Smartphones are changing the way we travel?

Mcubed seems like you are limiting yourself.. At the end of the day you said it, you will be using your iPhone for very useful things.. who needs to make calls anymore..

You have some great options for taking your iPHone.

1. Get an Att data plan.. Although they are relatively pricee
2. Jailbreak and get a local sim,. cheapest, but some consider risky option

3.. You can get local smartphones.. adamphones.com, telestial.com and
fonmigo.com rents smartphones and mobile wi-fi modems, u could connect your iphone to a mobile wi-fi..its very simple and a lot cheaper that then other options..
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hopefully they offer unlocked iPhones for a reasonable price some day.

Then you can take it overseas and use local SIMs.

Short of that, maybe Mifi devices become reasonable in cost and you can take one of those in your trips.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:30 pm

MiFi's are locked, plus a MiFi from the US will not get European coverage necesarilly..

As i mentioned, some firms are already renting them with plans included... fonmigo.com
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:33 pm
Suspended

What a dumb business model then.

They could be selling these things like crazy to travelers who wouldn't have to put up with the raping that hotels attempt with Internet.

Kind of like how they tried to gouge you for phone calls and the cell phones put an end to that scheme.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by wco81
What a dumb business model then.

They could be selling these things like crazy to travelers who wouldn't have to put up with the raping that hotels attempt with Internet.

Kind of like how they tried to gouge you for phone calls and the cell phones put an end to that scheme.
i think only sprint and verizon sell the MiFis, so you won't be able to use local carriers in Europe, only roaming probably.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
i think only sprint and verizon sell the MiFis, so you won't be able to use local carriers in Europe, only roaming probably.
If it's only Sprint and Verizon they won't work in Europe at all. Those companies aren't GSM.

How about buying a never-locked iPhone in France? The government says companies must sell them. A mere $1200.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:08 pm

The verizon and sprint appear to work but they are locked.. no idea how to unlock them..

Fonmigo.com provides a flat rate Mobile wifi package from $55... As you said ideal for travelers.. Finding Free wifi is not how it used to be.. you also don't want to be wasting that sort of time searching for hotspots..
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by anthonym
The verizon and sprint appear to work but they are locked.. no idea how to unlock them..

Fonmigo.com provides a flat rate Mobile wifi package from $55... As you said ideal for travelers.. Finding Free wifi is not how it used to be.. you also don't want to be wasting that sort of time searching for hotspots..
I signed up for boingo at 7.95 USD/month for the mobile plan, which includes many global wifi spots. However, it's still rather limited coverage-wise and some key airports are missing, like FRA and ZRH. Still, for the price, it might be worth it.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:43 am
Suspended

It seemed Boingo had a lot of per-minute surcharges on most European hotspots.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:18 am

It seemed Boingo had a lot of per-minute surcharges on most European hotspots.
Not for the mobile plan. The mobile plan provides unlimited access.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:10 am

rest of Europe?

I just rented a WiFiMIGO from Fonmigo.com, it cost me $60 for $1GB of Data. AT&T give you 50MB for that prices.. At&T makes me laugh!

The WiFiMIGO is a small wireless modem that gives you wifi anywhere in the UK. The connection was flawless, and it worked with my laptop also.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Does anyone know if it will work in France and the rest of Europe?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:35 pm

MiFi's are locked, plus a MiFi from the US will not get European coverage necesarilly..

As i mentioned, some firms are already renting them with plans included... fonmigo.com
Buy a Mifi PAYG from 3 in the UK, it will be about the same price as 1 month from Fonmigo, give you more data and you'll have the dongle and sim for the next visit or the next country.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
Buy a Mifi PAYG from 3 in the UK, it will be about the same price as 1 month from Fonmigo, give you more data and you'll have the dongle and sim for the next visit or the next country.
If I read the site correctly, you can buy it without a SIM for 49 GBP from 3 directly?

And it's completely unlocked and supports all 3G networks?

Does it support HSPA or have WPA security?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:21 pm

If I read the site correctly, you can buy it without a SIM for 49 GBP from 3 directly?

And it's completely unlocked and supports all 3G networks?

Does it support HSPA or have WPA security?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Have any of you used it in France?

What is the full name of that company? Do you have a link?

Thanks alot!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:32 pm

I tried buying a PAYG Mifi from 3 online, but its not that easy.

You can only buy it online if you live in the UK. So I called the customer service line.

You can go a store in London and buy one, but the sell them for GBP69.99 with 3GB. Now that is around $120! They only work in the UK and its a pain to take a few hours from my 5 precious days in London.

I would go for Boingo or renting one from fonmigo, its $55 and 1GB seems like enough for iPhone.. More convenient and econmical given my circumstances..Not sure what to choice one is cheaper but the other is more mobile.. hummm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.