Reload this Page >

New Tom Bihn bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Tom Bihn bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:15 pm

I used to own an Ebags Weekender...decent bag...I sold it for a few reasons.

Dimensions are 22 x 14 x 9...okay for U.S....but too big for restrictive overseas flights.

Weight....empty if weighs just under 4 pounds. Tri-star weighs under 3. Again with carry-on weigh restrictions, every pound counts.

I found the front organizer pocket a waste. The pockets were okay for small things although I never used them and the front pocket itself was fairly shallow.

For the price, it's okay, if your travels don't take you on airlines that restrict.

Oh, and it holds a ton which may make it easy for people to overpack.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:17 pm

I'm probably going to get a Tri-Star.....to save some money, though, instead of buying the accompanying packing cubes, I realize both my Eagle Creek 18 Folder and EC Double Cube will fit in the bag. One in the front pocket, one in the back.

This leaves the middle section for electronics and knick knacks.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
All links keep returning:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:02 pm

They had so much traffic, their server went down for a few hours.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
[B]
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Thanks.

[B]
And how is the 1050 ballistic waterproof? Your website says it's treated for water resistance. With such a large weave, you'd need 120g PU or a TPU/SPU backing. I didn't see that mentioned.
Our 1050 denier ballistic nylon is treated with a 1-1/2 oz. per square yard urethane coating that helps prevent water from penetrating the fabric. Most 1050 ballistic nylon is made with three-quarter to one ounce polyurethane coating because less coating = less expensive. It is fairly rare for ballistic to be made with a coating as heavy as ours. The face of the fabric is treated with a durable water-repellent. There are membranes/laminates/coatings that can be less than 120g and still be waterproof, BTW. Our fabric suppliers' labs are always conducting fabric tests for us and we hope to post some water-resistance tests on our site soon.

[B]
Nothing wrong with the zippers. I personally like them. But unless the bag is waterproof, it's an expensive cosmetic upgrade.
In our own tests and tests performed by reviewers of our products (one reviewer took a five minute shower with his Aeronaut, which has the YKK Uretek splash-proof zippers, and no water entered the bag) the YKK Uretek zipper has far better water-repellency than a non-Uretek zipper. The feedback from our customers backs that up. I understand it's your opinion that the zipper is purely cosmetic (and it is one good-looking zipper!) but our five years of use of the zipper confirms its value adding water repellency to our products.

[B]Victorinox used 1050 ballistic nylon on their NXT series.
Hmm . . . I can't find any reference that backs that up. Probably neither here nor there. I'm an expert on only one bag company.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by fbrown627
They had so much traffic, their server went down for a few hours.
Our site is up-and-running, but it is hiccup-ing here and there. If anyone gets error messages, keep trying! Sorry for the inconvenience.

[QUOTE=ScottC]Welcome to Flyertalk, Darcy! Great to have you here![/URL]

Thanks, ScottC. Please let me know if I post anything I shouldn't!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by darcytb
Thanks.

Hmm . . . I can't find any reference that backs that up. Probably neither here nor there. I'm an expert on only one bag company.
They also used it on their Triax collection
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:21 pm

Victorinox used 1050 ballistic nylon on their NXT series.
Which NXT series? The 4.0 series I could find says they use 2100D

link
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:21 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by darcytb
Hello! Darcy from TOM BIHN here.

Victorinox, to our knowledge, has never used 1050 denier ballistic nylon.

We've been using YKK's Uretek splash-proof zippers for over five years. Our customers (and external reviewers) have tested the water-resistance of these zippers whether on purpose (one reviewer took a shower with his Aeronaut to test the zippers) or not (customers caught in a rain storm), and the feedback has been resoundingly positive.

An unshielded standard zipper is much less water-resistant than our YKK Uretek zippers. In addition, our 1050 denier ballistic nylon fabric is waterproof - what makes our bags not completely waterproof is that the bags are sewn as opposed to RF-welded. Only bags that are RF-welded - like Ortlieb bags - can be called waterproof.

If any FlyerTalk forum members have questions about the Tri-Star, ask away.
Great to see a company rep. come on a forum and discuss their products. Welcome Darcy.....when I have a chance, I will look over your line of merchandise.

It would be nice to see someone from Travel Pro come on here and defend their warranty (or non-warranty fraud) program.
Old May 1, 2009, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Welcome Darcy! It is great to see a fine company represented here. You have found the mother lode of folks who own entirely too much luggage as we seek perfection.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
You have found the mother lode of folks who own entirely too much luggage as we seek perfection.
You got that right . We should start a thread of who owns what.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:58 am

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! I am having a lot of fun reading the posts here.

This discussion has spurred further research (on my part - Tom and June, our factory manager, are already experts) into the world of fabrics and materials that we use. The U.S. company that makes our custom 1050 denier ballistic nylon has been amazingly helpful. It's so cool that we get to talk directly with the fabric lab. We've been inspired to create a fabric/material glossary on our site - look for that sometime in June.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by kingalien
You got that right . We should start a thread of who owns what.
Some of us would be ashamed to reveal all.
Old May 1, 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by quan98
Which NXT series? The 4.0 series I could find says they use 2100D
1050d Ballistic x 2 is 2100d

1680d Ballistic is actually 2 x 840d or even 4 x 420d
Old May 1, 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by fbrown627
I used to own an Ebags Weekender...decent bag...I sold it for a few reasons.

Dimensions are 22 x 14 x 9...okay for U.S....but too big for restrictive overseas flights.

Weight....empty if weighs just under 4 pounds. Tri-star weighs under 3. Again with carry-on weigh restrictions, every pound counts.

I found the front organizer pocket a waste. The pockets were okay for small things although I never used them and the front pocket itself was fairly shallow.

For the price, it's okay, if your travels don't take you on airlines that restrict.

Oh, and it holds a ton which may make it easy for people to overpack.
Ebags sells a couple of other bags made by Jansport that seem similar to the Weekender. One is the Weekaway, which is 20" x 12" x 8.5" and 3 lbs 3 oz, same price as the Ebags Weekender. The other is the Euro Pak, which is 13" x 21" x 10" and weighs 3 lbs, for about $80.

I'm sure neither of these Jansport bags are the quality of the Tom Bihn.

On the other hand, I found a Weekaway in an awful fabric (brown with pink dots) for $15 at my local Ross store. It is good to see that this category is attracting interest from the manufacturers. I have a similar 20 year old bag from Members Only (!) that will someday need to be replaced. -- Suzanne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.