Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camelbak/hyrdration pouch question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Camelbak/hyrdration pouch question

I am heading off to do the Inca Trail in a couple of weeks. I have a hydration pack compatible backpack (a kelty) and I just bought a camelbak hydration bladder (100 ounce) to put in the special pouch.

Does anyone know Is there anyway to get the bladder to stand up straight in the backpack pouch? Today was the first day I tried it out and it just sort of folds over on itself. Should I be putting other things in the pouch with it to prop it up? I can't figure out a way to clip it.

Thanks for any ideas - or suggestions on where else I could post to get advice.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I took a look at the Kelty website and can't figure out which pack you have. The Camelbak packs have a special pocket for the bladder and no way can it fold over. Did you fill the bladder with water before trying it out? I would think the Kelty pack would have a special pocket just for the water. On the website there was a water bladder that looks similar to the Camelbak.

I have two Camelbaks, one is quite small for daily walks, the other is a daypack size for all-day hikes. Each has a separate section for the water, holes for threading the tube, and a clip to hold the mouthpiece. I haven't seen a Kelty like you describe.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:19 pm
Yub

Camelbak packs may have pouches that are narrow enough to support the bladder without any hanging device. Other packs may have very wide pouches, sometimes the full width of the pack. I have one large Kelty daypack that is like this, and if the bladder isn't hung from the top, the bladder will collapse into the pouch.

The Camelbak bladder should have a hook at the top of the ring around the opening. The hook should hang onto an attachment point at the top of the pack pouch. The attachment point may differ from pack to pack. On my Kelty daypack, there is a strap with a nylon snap buckle from which I can hang a hydration bladder. The strap connects from the top front of the pouch to the top of inside back of the pack.

My other packs have different methods to hold up the bladder. One has a short nylon loop to which I can directly hang a bladder or attach a strap or small carabiner to hang the bladder. Another pack has a pair of short straps that hang from above each side of the pouch and are connected at the loose ends to the middle of 1" plastic rods. The rods can pass through holes at the top of some bladders and then flatten out like an upside-down "T" to hang the bladder.

Does your pack have any kind of strap or other hardware near the pouch opening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.