Reload this Page >

"Hard" coach seat solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Hard" coach seat solution?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:55 pm

I use a Thermarest Trail Seat bought at Campmor.com for around $20 plus reasonable shipping. Slightly larger than the Thermalite, for $10 less. Really helps!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
A number of posters complain about hard seats in coach especially noticeable on long flights. Some friends have recommended a self inflatable seat cushion offered by Magellan ($49.99). Can anyone offer a confirming positive opinion of this cushion?
I use the Magellan seat cushion all the time. I love it and haven't had any problems it. Worth the money.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Just looked but can't locate it but I know I have recently seen airline rules (not sure which airline would be one of AA, QF, NW, KL, CO, or South African if that helps) that specifically banned the use of seat cushions (but allowed back supports).....
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Sabre1
...I jus may have to pickup one of these ThermaLite seats as my tush always goes numb on longhaul flights!
Just used this on consecutive 13-hour and 6-hour flights. The Therm-A-Rest didn't turn an economy seat into a business class one, but it really did make for a noticeable improvement.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I know a few years ago the FAA recommended banning seat covers and cushions brought on board by passengers because there was no way to assure they met the flame retardant specifications, but don't think the airlines really did much about it.

If they were going to do that, they would have to ban all jackets, carry ons, etc that also didn't meet those standards.

It's only been once or twice that the seat was more plywood then it was padding (made me laugh, as no way would anybody use it to float), one time I did the blanket thing, the other time was in winter and I had my down jacket which worked perfectly.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:08 pm

As an equestrian in my non-working life I know a thing or two about sore butts...

I personally bring a piece of a compressed rubber material called "thinline" with me when I travel. While it was originally designed to be an impact pad for the horses under their saddles, I've found it's incredibly comfortable for ME to sit on because it distributes pressure really well. So, I stole it, and now I sit on it when I fly.

I've also been known to use a product called "gel-eze" (again, designed for the horses) for about $25, you get a piece of perforated blue gel material that you fold in half and stick under your butt. It breathes, which is nice for those long trips, and it really, really does help. As a bonus, you can also roll it up and put it behind your back or neck, or you can run it under cold water in the lav and wring it out for a cool compress if it's hot in the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.