Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Evacuation Insurance/Assist Need Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP Platinum
Medical Evacuation Insurance/Assist Need Recommendations

I am looking into programs that will repatriate you back to your home town hospital (including your family) in case of a medical emergency. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:50 pm

Evacuation Insurance

I have just been going over options for this and discovered that although most insurance companies offer the evacuation insurance, it is usually just to the closest suitable hospital. I was concerned about getting home if something terrible should happen after being stabilized. I have a friend who was transported from New Zealand to the west coast of the U.S. He was in a coma after an auto accident and the cost was $70,000. Check this article out - http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...ncatelli_x.htm. I have bought the MedJet coverage for a year and there are family rates I believe.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:54 pm

Evacuation Insurance

Most trip insurances will only cover you to the closest suitable facility. This is rather scary to me as I would want to be home when stabilized. Check out this article - http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...ncatelli_x.htm. I have purchased the MedJet recommended and believe you can get a family rate.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:58 pm

Evacuation Insurance

Sorry for the double post. For some reason I am not being permitted to type in the correct website address. Try going to USA Today and into their travel section then type in trip or evacuation insurance in the search box. Either that or go to MedJet.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

FYI, http://www.medjet.com/ is NOT the same as the recommended http://www.medjetassistance.com/ .

I think you are recommending the latter.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Also keep in mind that AAA Plus membership provides $25k of medical evacuation coverage and the Platinum Amex also provides medical evacuation coverage up to $100k though not necessarily to the hometown.

DAN or divers access network also provides some evacuation coverage with their membership but the same caveats as above apply.

FT and or Randy P had an association with medjet once: I've been looking for a testimonial about medjet on FT for a while and haven't found one. Good thing I guess!

Jim
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:26 pm

Insurance

Yes, you are correct.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jim Quan
Also keep in mind that AAA Plus membership provides $25k of medical evacuation coverage and the Platinum Amex also provides medical evacuation coverage up to $100k though not necessarily to the hometown.

DAN or divers access network also provides some evacuation coverage with their membership but the same caveats as above apply.

FT and or Randy P had an association with medjet once: I've been looking for a testimonial about medjet on FT for a while and haven't found one. Good thing I guess!

Jim

I don't think ALL platinum Amex has that. Mine has 100K AD&D, and a hotline to help you contact and find medical care, but no evacuation insurance.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:20 pm

Insurance

That was a "yes, you are correct" to yogi.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: United MP
Also keep in mind that AAA Plus membership provides $25k of medical evacuation coverage .../
Jim
I hadn't heard of this. Is it only if you arrange travel throughh them?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the Platinum Amex also provides medical evacuation coverage up to $100k though not necessarily to the hometown.
This isn't listed on AmEx's Web site. Perhaps it has been phased out?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:38 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
I am referring to the 'classic' Amex Plat card as well as the Fidelity Plat Amex; NOT the Skymiles, Costco etc.

It does seem the amex website has little mention of that but makes a passing reference to premium global assist or some such. My Plat handbook dated 12/03 lists medical evacuation as a benefit. 800-525-3355 for info.

I don't have any more info on AAA or DAN. I dropped my AAA plus and I'm afraid of deep water

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe that the AAA benefit is dependant on which club you joined through, I don't have it on my plus membership.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The author of the International Travel Health Guide has his book online in pdf format for free viewing. He has sections on Travel Insurance and emergency medical evacuation. It's good information:

http://www.travmed.com

I've gotten insurance with Medex Assist and Travelguard. As I haven't had to use either of them, I don't know how good they are. I usually get an insurance policy with a large evacuation benefit when I'm doing wilderness travel - places where you would need a helicopter to get me out. I've used Medex when travelling independently, and I used Travelguard because they were the ones recommended by the tour company.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:39 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA Plat, too many hotels
DAN offers repatriation and evacuation

DAN (Divers Alert Network) has pretty decent coverage and they do cover nondiving medical emergencies. Their repatriation includes flying you, dependent children and or travel companions home. They'll even fly someone to your location if you are traveling alone and need to be hospitalized for more than 5 days. They cover evac as well.

Their TravelAssist is part of the basic membership and they offer both family and individual policies.

You can check out the details at www.diversalertnetwork.org

I hope you never need to use these services, but its nice to know you have them just in case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.