Medical Evacuation Insurance/Assist Need Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Evacuation Insurance/Assist Need Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
"MedjetAssist has a network of authorized affiliate air medical providers throughout the world."

"Does Medjet operate or maintain its own aircraft?" No

So I presume they use whatever is necessary.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:01 am

check your health insurance rules because some health insurance will only pay doctors at certain hospitals in certain states

Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
The latest issue of International Travel News, July 2010, page 56, is also enthusiastic about the medical evacuation program available through Divers Alert Network (DAN) membership. The DAN evac program does appear to be comparatively a bargain.

DAN website specifies that medical evacuation covers both diving and non-diving accidents. When I called to ask, a CSR indicated that the med evac policy does cover illness also.

The evacuation has to be arranged by DAN, of course. No age restrictions.

Note, however: It covers medical evacuation, as medically necessary, to the nearest qualified medical facility. (only) This is what the CSR said when I called to ask.

IOW, if you are across the world, you will not be transported to your choice of facility near your hometown.

In contrast, MedJet says it will transport to the traveler's choice of facility (assuming medically indicated by a physician and assuming that the company makes the arrangements, of course). And AMEX might do the same. (But check with AMEX to be sure you are covered through your card or if you should purchase this coverage as an optional add-on.) MedJet becomes more costly depending upon the traveler's age, and AMEX appears to have preexisting condition clauses, though I am not certain how/if these would impact.

I don't guarantee the above info. Also, please note, I am not an insurance agent, nor do I play one on TV.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Medex, International SOS and Medjet Assist - Three Great Services

Medex and International SOS seem to be in a different category from standard insurance policies. They are operationally oriented programs used by many large companies and by the US Government to protect their travellers. They have lists of physicians, will help evacuate you in the case of insurrection/terrorism, natural disaster, etc., will arrange for medications to be sent etc. Their evacuation is generally to the nearest appropriate facility, not repatriation to your home area generally.

MEDEX (medexassist.com)and International SOS (internationalsos.com) seem to have somewhat different operational approaches. MEDEX has lists of physicians, agreements with air ambulance services around the world, etc., while International SOS has their own aircraft and even their own clinics in some (but a limited number) of locations around the world. You could argue pros and cons for each approach. You can buy a MEDEX product that includes only their assistance and evacuation services or one with insurance (provided I believe by AIG if I recall correctly). The International SOS product tends to be more expensive (sometimes significantly so - it can be more than double) when purchased by an individual (as opposed to under a corporate contract).

I have personally used MEDEX (though only for physician referrals and reimbursement of subsequent physician and ER visits) and found the service generally excellent.

MedjetAssist (medjetassist.com) is a service focused primarily on transporting you back to your home hospital, or for that matter, any hospital you request. The requirements are simple...if you are hospitalized and wish to transfer to a hospital elsewhere (generally in your home area) they will do so. There seem to fewer ancillary services, but the service is clear and can be very valuable.

These services offer great peace of mind and I think are well, well worth the cost (which can be very modest relative to the potential benefit and reassurance). Each has strengths and weaknesses and one would do well to have a look at the websites.

Combining medjetassist with medex or international sos would be the slightly redundant but most comprehensive approach, especially for the very frequent traveller (medjetassist is available only on an annual basis - the others can be purchased for single trips) though coordination issues might arise.

I hope this is of some help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.