Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scottevest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Scottevest

This is when a Scottevest will come in super handy. And one of the main reasons I carry all important items inside of it included my phone, passport, computer and anything else you can think of.

When there's an emergency you'll have all the important stuff with you.

Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Anything more reasonably priced than the Scottevest?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I first purchased one around 2016. It worked so good on a 6 month trip that I end up purchasing 3 more and the featherweight vest model is the best one I own because it can be worn in any temperature since it's not cotton but polyester and cleans very well, and I've been wearing on every trip since about 2017 and it's still holding on. Worth every penny. I plan to purchase a different color possibly but not a different brand. I keep it on at all times. Best piece of travel gear that I own. I didn't know I needed it until I purchased it. If you buy one no matter what brand get a size larger than you normally wear.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I first purchased one around 2016. It worked so good on a 6 month trip that I end up purchasing 3 more and the featherweight vest model is the best one I own because it can be worn in any temperature since it's not cotton but polyester and cleans very well, and I've been wearing on every trip since about 2017 and it's still holding on. Worth every penny. I plan to purchase a different color possibly but not a different brand. I keep it on at all times. Best piece of travel gear that I own. I didn't know I needed it until I purchased it. If you buy one no matter what brand get a size larger than you normally wear.
Yup, if you don't care about fashion the vest is plenty as you can put it over whatever you want for warmth. Or, slightly less accessible, you can even wear it under a jacket.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yup, if you don't care about fashion the vest is plenty as you can put it over whatever you want for warmth. Or, slightly less accessible, you can even wear it under a jacket.
Yes, you're right, I have definitely wore it under a coat. Everything is still easily accessible if the coat isn't zipped up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
There are plenty of vests at a lower price that can match the Scottevest. Lots on Amazon like this one:

Amazon Amazon

Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
There are plenty of vests at a lower price that can match the Scottevest. Lots on Amazon like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Underc...Y2/ref=sr_1_9?
The problem with some of these for long time usage is the fact they use "cotton". They fray and discolor regardless if it's a Scottevest or not. Full polyester will last a long time and still look good.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
My son first bought one as a high school student in 2002 or so. ScottEvest 2.0 he says. His father and I were impressed and bought them too. I still have that khaki-colored one from 2002, a black one, two convertible jackets with zip-off sleeves, a couple of 22-pocket long-sleeved fleece jackets, and a coat, none less than 10 years old (so I can't address current pricing). They have worn wonderfully! Not the most stylish things I own, but the pockets are better made and less obtrusive than less expensive alternatives I have seen, and for hiking, trekking, visiting the family and exploring cities, they're great. And for avoiding carry-on baggage limits and pickpockets.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:13 pm

yes I am looking for something that I can also wear inside the aircraft and also in the hot tropics outside.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Spirit Gold, IHG, Hertz Gold
The big pockets (especially across the back) also make for a great overflow for luggage if you are flying the "thrifty" airlines and don't want to pay for or deal with an extra bag... Usually I have just enough room to pack what I need so I don't have to check a bag, but once in a while the fiance will have me add a little something that makes me glad I can take a packing cube and put it in the jacket instead. I finally wore out my original purchase of >20 years ago and broke down and got another one last year.. Not cheap by a long shot, but as it was mentioned they last a long time and wear very well.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrightParrot
The big pockets (especially across the back) also make for a great overflow for luggage if you are flying the "thrifty" airlines and don't want to pay for or deal with an extra bag... Usually I have just enough room to pack what I need so I don't have to check a bag, but once in a while the fiance will have me add a little something that makes me glad I can take a packing cube and put it in the jacket instead. I finally wore out my original purchase of >20 years ago and broke down and got another one last year.. Not cheap by a long shot, but as it was mentioned they last a long time and wear very well.
The first one I purchased had that huge pocket in the back. I seriously loaded it up😀. No difference if I was overweight individual, so not much they can say. I did all carry-on for a 6 month trip. Definitely worked out.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:52 pm

Just bought a very good travel vest in BKK for around 50 dollars. I really liked the cut and the stitching and the material too. I have been looking for this for a long time.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:29 am

To me, the main purpose of the Scottevest would be to load it with heavy items. That way, they are on my person and not in one of my bags being weighed.

I rarely wear more than just a polo shirt when traveling and the idea of constantly wearing a vest over that gets me feeling hot just thinking about it.

Perfect would be when I can wear the vest at checkin and while boarding, but outside those times I can take it off and zip it up into a briefcase of sorts. Gives it a second purpose too, to be used while at a destination. At least in my use case.

Does such a variant exist?

I mean, I guess I could carry a simple fold-up bag to fold the vest into. But that does away with the go-go-gadget factor! 😁
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:11 am

Just bought a very good travel vest in BKK for around 50 dollars. I really liked the cut and the stitching and the material too. I have been looking for this for a long time.
That’s where I live. Could you share details?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gadget
To me, the main purpose of the Scottevest would be to load it with heavy items. That way, they are on my person and not in one of my bags being weighed.

I rarely wear more than just a polo shirt when traveling and the idea of constantly wearing a vest over that gets me feeling hot just thinking about it.

Perfect would be when I can wear the vest at checkin and while boarding, but outside those times I can take it off and zip it up into a briefcase of sorts. Gives it a second purpose too, to be used while at a destination. At least in my use case.

Does such a variant exist?

I mean, I guess I could carry a simple fold-up bag to fold the vest into. But that does away with the go-go-gadget factor! 😁
The problem with most travelers, is they have no idea on what clothing they should wear when it's warm outside. Short sleeve shirts just make you hotter. Shorts make you hotter. Yes they do. Sitting under a umbrella makes you cooler instead of sitting in direct sun.

Covering your arms and legs keeps the direct sun off your skin reducing the heat. Wearing nylon/polyester will wick perspiration and cotton blends hold the perspiration.

So wearing a simple nylon fishing type shirt (from Columbia sportswear) and a Scottevest you'll be cooler actually than wearing a cotton blend polo shirt with your arms exposed. And a hat would certainly help.

Scottevest makes a polyester featherweight vest that's super thin.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.