Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ditching My Rimowa. TravelPro B&R Tumi or ?

Ditching My Rimowa. TravelPro B&R Tumi or ?

Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Ditching My Rimowa. TravelPro B&R Tumi or ?

I have used Rimowa Topaz IATA and Rimowa Limbo (Hybrid) large cabin bags as carry-ons for the last 10 years. I am tired of them and I miss soft-sided carry-on bags. I am wondering what you guys would recommend as an international carry-on?

I am looking at TravelPro Platinum Elite, Briggs & Riley Baseline and Tumi Alpha III. I am willing to consider other brands. I had a number of American made 1050D Tumi bags years ago and they were great but I am imagine they have cheapened the product by now. I have briefly used a BR baseline bag several years ago and had no complaints, I also have a TravelPro Maxlight underseat bag and the quality is noticeably lower than the Tumi and BR (that said it is much cheaper).

I want my bag to be able to hold my backpack on top. My Topaz IATA is too narrow for that. I wonder if this will be a problem for the travel pro.

The Tumi seems to hold the least volume for similar outer dimensions.

Last edited by SirWilliam; Jul 22, 2023 at 2:45 pm
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:39 pm
  #2  
formerly wchinchen
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Honolulu
Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I have used Rimowa Topaz IATA and Rimowa Limbo (Hybrid) large cabin bags as carry-ons for the last 10 years. I am tired of them and I miss soft-sided carry-on bags. I am wondering what you guys would recommend as an international carry-on?

I am looking at TravelPro Platinum Elite, Briggs & Riley Baseline and Tumi Alpha III. I am willing to consider other brands. I had a number of American made 1050D Tumi bags years ago and they were great but I am imagine they have cheapened the product by now. I have briefly used a BR baseline bag several years ago and had no complaints, I also have a TravelPro Maxlight underseat bag and the quality is noticeably lower than the Tumi and BR (that said it is much cheaper).

I want my bag to be able to hold my backpack on top. My Topaz IATA is too narrow for that. I wonder if this will be a problem for the travel pro.

The Tumi seems to hold the least volume for similar outer dimensions.
If warranty is a factor for you: BR or TravelPro (Platinum line) that qualify for lifetime warranty. If you read enough threads, everyone has hit/miss with warranty issues with either company. Recently, people reported trouble getting in contact with TravelPro for warranty issues.

If warranty is not an issue: Just go with the the one you like the best look wise and fits the best with your packing habits. A luggage is a luggage is a luggage. Pretty much just paying for the subjective bling factor.

No issues with Travelpro or BR with backpack on top. My wife has a Tumi, and no issues with backpack on top either.
HaleiwaFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:47 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
If warranty is a factor for you: BR or TravelPro (Platinum line) that qualify for lifetime warranty. If you read enough threads, everyone has hit/miss with warranty issues with either company. Recently, people reported trouble getting in contact with TravelPro for warranty issues.

If warranty is not an issue: Just go with the the one you like the best look wise and fits the best with your packing habits. A luggage is a luggage is a luggage. Pretty much just paying for the subjective bling factor.

No issues with Travelpro or BR with backpack on top. My wife has a Tumi, and no issues with backpack on top either.
I definitely don't care about bling, I just want one that is going to be the most trouble-free. I maybe just order a couple and try them out. The way the TravelPro expands from the front seems less stable but maybe is isnt in practice.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:04 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Also how important is it to have a "global" carry-on? I think most European carriers have started allowing bigger bags as long as they aren't too heavy?
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:27 pm
  #5  
formerly wchinchen
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Honolulu
Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I definitely don't care about bling, I just want one that is going to be the most trouble-free. I maybe just order a couple and try them out. The way the TravelPro expands from the front seems less stable but maybe is isnt in practice.
I have the BR domestic and has been overall bomb proof without any breakage of the compression device. I also have a TravelPro Expert Crew, that has been bomb proof, except breakage of the very front zipper finger pull/handle. To note, a TravelPro will be half of the cost the BR. Personally I don't think the BR is worth the high cost. Also, I would get the TravelPro on discount, less than $280.00, and not their full retail price of greater than $300.00

I haven't used a Tumi, but my wife packs it to the gills, and hasn't had any issues yet of breakage.

Personally, I would check out in person the dividers and compression set up of all luggages before deciding. You may like the BR compression device , especially with your other post about European carriers. Check out the BR Domestic with compression device.

Excited for you on a new piece of luggage!
HaleiwaFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:42 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I have the BR domestic and has been overall bomb proof without any breakage of the compression device. I also have a TravelPro Expert Crew, that has been bomb proof, except breakage of the very front zipper finger pull/handle. To note, a TravelPro will be half of the cost the BR. Personally I don't think the BR is worth the high cost. Also, I would get the TravelPro on discount, less than $280.00, and not their full retail price of greater than $300.00

I haven't used a Tumi, but my wife packs it to the gills, and hasn't had any issues yet of breakage.

Personally, I would check out in person the dividers and compression set up of all luggages before deciding. You may like the BR compression device , especially with your other post about European carriers. Check out the BR Domestic with compression device.

Excited for you on a new piece of luggage!
Which TravelPro would you get? How are the wheels and handles vs BR? The similar size Platinum Elite is 22.5 in x 14.5 in x 9 in which might be too long so maybe have to go down to the 19" That said I can buy both for less than then the BR
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:18 am
  #7  
formerly wchinchen
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Honolulu
Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,137
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Which TravelPro would you get? How are the wheels and handles vs BR? The similar size Platinum Elite is 22.5 in x 14.5 in x 9 in which might be too long so maybe have to go down to the 19" That said I can buy both for less than then the BR
I have the two wheeler TravelPro Crew Expert Max, fits majority of domestic carriers. Abit tight on the E175 and that’s how I ripped off the front zipper. I don’t have the platinum line, so can’t comment. I do highly recommend the crew expert as it’s built like a tank, and similar to their crew line. The issue is the 5 year warranty and is a limited run, so no future replacements for the Crew Expert.

I like the handles on TravelPro much better than BR. as it’s robust and stiff versus the flex that I feel with the BR, especially with backpack on the handle.
Since my BR is also a two wheeler, I don’t really notice any significant difference between the two in regards to wheels.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Jul 23, 2023 at 9:27 am
HaleiwaFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:12 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
I ordered the TravelPro Crew Versapack 20" and the B&R Baseline Essential 22". They are both the same size and fit domestic carry on requirements. I would have preferred the Platinum Elite but in that line the bags are a little too big or much smaller. I also like that the Crew is ballistic nylon vs some other kind of nylon on the Platinum Elite.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago...MDW & ORD
Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Posts: 426
BR all the way. i have had my BR Widebody spinner International Carry on and have traveled to Europe 25 times in the last 5 years and every week within the USA and the bag is ROCK SOLID.. and two best things about the bag is the Expandabilty option... and the WHEELS... super smoooooooooth!! Best anywhere around..

Tumi is poorly made and Rimowa is all about "look at me"... If you are a serious traveler...BR all the way.
spiritkat09 likes this.
feysul is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:39 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by feysul
BR all the way. i have had my BR Widebody spinner International Carry on and have traveled to Europe 25 times in the last 5 years and every week within the USA and the bag is ROCK SOLID.. and two best things about the bag is the Expandabilty option... and the WHEELS... super smoooooooooth!! Best anywhere around..

Tumi is poorly made and Rimowa is all about "look at me"... If you are a serious traveler...BR all the way.
Why did you choose the Widebody over the Essential? It seems like The Essential fits more airlines requirements and the Widebody might be more problematic if you are asked to turn your bag on it's side in the bin.

What makes you say that Tumi is poorly made? My old ones were good. I realize they are part of Samsonite now and no longer make their bags in the USA. They are a little bit flashy and heavy, but design-wise they seem well though out.

I like the Rimowa Topas bags for checked luggage as it is comparatively light and strong. It is flashy, when I bought mine they were pretty rare and I never had a problem with it even in more iffy airports.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 9:13 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
The TravelPro Crew and Briggs Baseline bags arrived today. I have a Tumi Alpha Three Dual Access coming on Wednesday. The TravelPro is just too small unfortunately and has minimal expansion so it is going back. If they made one that matched the dimension of the Briggs it would be a serious contender.

The handle on the Briggs has the least wiggle but I don't like that it is exposed and wrapped in plastic. The Rimowas has the most wiggle but it's also over 10 years old, it still works perfectly and can hold a heavy backpack. I have the pre-stepless handle on my carry-on Rimowa bags and they still seem like they have better adjustment.

The biggest difference seems to be the wheels. The Rimowa has the best wheels by far, even the smaller ones on my IATA, they change direction without almost no resistance. I do need to load the bags though and that might make a difference.

The Travel Pro is actually quite nice. The fit and finish isn't the same level as the Briggs but it seems durable. The ballistic nylon isn't as nice as the Briggs. The Briggs ballistic looks pretty close to the American made 1050D I have on my Tom Bihn bags and old Tumi bags but I am guessing it is the cheaper and more common 1680, still very nice since I don't know of any brand using 1050D on rolling luggage anymore.

I am not sure I like the suiter in the Briggs. I don't see why they didn't make that removable (I guess it is partially). The wheels on the Briggs seem the least protected.

Thank you for your help. I am curious to see how the Tumi compares to the Briggs.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:51 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
The Tumi came today and I have to say this was my least favorite of the bags I tried despite being the best looking and the one I was hoping to like most. I got the dual access international spinner. I have no complaints about the build quality (from my superficial observation). The BR has bigger zippers so they are easier to operate than the main ones on the Tumi. The interior zips and outer pocket zips seem similar though I still think BR has the edge. The handles and wheels are very close, I give the edge to the Tumi because they just have a better appearance and are less exposed. I like the USB C charging cable and it is in a better spot than on the B&R. I also like the integrated zippers lock. I am sure this could be considered another point of failure but I've had a similar setup on a Rimowa Salsa Sports Trunk for 10 years and it's never been a problem.

The experience packing and unpacking the Tumi is terrible. The dual access means you can get to the top compartment from the top without having to open it in the middle. The opening is tight and the interior is dark so it is hard to pack and unpack from the pocket. I have a 14" MBP and I cant fit in the bag from this dual access flap unless I put it in at an angle. Opening the bag from the middle is crappy. I am used to the 50/50 split from years of Rimowa but with those it is just two or three latches and the whole thing opens easily. The Tumi twists and the hinge making it wobbly. Not nice to open and much harder to close. The interior lining is dark so it is had to see what is inside (similar color to the TravelPro) and I found the lining to be problematic, like they didn't use enough fabric, so you lose some space because the fabric wont sit down against the structure.

Overall the Tumi felt cavernous (in a bad way) and clumsy.
spiritkat09 likes this.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Posts: 1,336
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
The TravelPro Crew and Briggs Baseline bags arrived today. I have a Tumi Alpha Three Dual Access coming on Wednesday. The TravelPro is just too small unfortunately and has minimal expansion so it is going back. If they made one that matched the dimension of the Briggs it would be a serious contender.
...
I am not sure I like the suiter in the Briggs. I don't see why they didn't make that removable (I guess it is partially). The wheels on the Briggs seem the least protected.
I am considering some of these same bags. Could you please elaborate on the size of the TP Crew, in both normal and expanded forms? Isn't it a 2" expansion as is typical for most such bags? Also, would you mind providing pictures showing which part(s) of the suiter come out of the B&R? I almost never need a suiter, so whatever is left in the bag is wasted space for me.
ikwia is offline  
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:42 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by ikwia
I am considering some of these same bags. Could you please elaborate on the size of the TP Crew, in both normal and expanded forms? Isn't it a 2" expansion as is typical for most such bags? Also, would you mind providing pictures showing which part(s) of the suiter come out of the B&R? I almost never need a suiter, so whatever is left in the bag is wasted space for me.
The TP Crew has smaller dimensions than the BR Baseline Global spinner so the interior is smaller. The expansion on the TP Crew is only on three sides of the top flap. So it's not the width and height of the bag that expands.

For the BR the third part of the trifold suiter is removable. I think you don't lose much space to the suiter with the third part removed, It is really just a panel with a foam strip to help prevent wrinkles. Without it the suiter area is just another zipped compartment on the back side of the lid.
ikwia likes this.
SirWilliam is offline  
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Alvesta, Sweden
Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by feysul
BR all the way. i have had my BR Widebody spinner International Carry on and have traveled to Europe 25 times in the last 5 years and every week within the USA and the bag is ROCK SOLID.. and two best things about the bag is the Expandabilty option... and the WHEELS... super smoooooooooth!! Best anywhere around.
I too, much like yourself, must constantly & frequently travel the international itineraries, typically involving 2 sometimes, 3 connections, involving 4-5 airports, and unfortunately burn through multiple pieces of luggage, all too frequently. Some received at destination damaged in many different ways, some covered, some not, some salvageable for a time, some not, so quite interested in knowing more specifically which bag or bags you are referring to? My goal is to hopefully find both the most durable luggage and perhaps not too crazy expensive if possible, that can withstand all the handling and/or mishandling my bags must continually endure TIA for any advice.
Shoredreamer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.