Wiki Posts
Search

TravelPro Platinum vs Briggs Riley Baseline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
TravelPro Platinum vs Briggs Riley Baseline

Coming off after my Eagle Creek Crossroads (rollaboard) gave up after 10years of service. Wheels destroyed from being dragged across continents, zipper coming unstitched in couple of places.... but thats about it. Bag still looks great otherwise! Telescoping mechanism of the handle still works fairly well (compared to American Tourister/ Samsonite - which start failing sooner).

Anyways... not a road warrior anymore but still would like a solid bag and decent looking (and not Tumi/ Rimowa price tag). TravelPro Platinum Elite sounds like the crew approved carry-on and budget friendlier as well (stacks with AMEX for a small discount)... USB thing looks pretty gimmicky and maybe adds some weight (is it useful?). Briggs and Riley Baseline hold better reputation, the backpack clip attachment is nice touch and the expansion mechanism looks helpful. My only downside with BR is the price tag... it's almost 2x of TravelPro.
LuggageWorks kindda appealed to me (just 'cos) but I don't think it's practical for a recreational traveler. Durable sure, but it's super-heavy.

In terms if design - I think, I'd like a spinner now. It's easier if Mrs CnO has to handle 2 bags on her own (and I am pre-occupied momentarily). Also, it would be nicer to have a laptop bag/ backpack attachment.... placing bag on top of the rollaboard makes it heavier and bag is always slipping to either side of the handle. Comfort and ease does become important as you get older, heh.
Also, mostly looking for domestic travel or North American continent. I understand EU and Asia have different standards with carry-ons and we will cross that bridge another time. Durability really helps since I do see end-up checking bags when hauling hiking gear or going on longer trips.

Btw, my last bag (Eagle Creek) was a recommendation from FTers :-) Hopefully next one runs equally solid!!

Last edited by carsnoceans; Apr 8, 2023 at 5:56 pm
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The compression gadget on the B&R is the winner for me and the built-in suit compartment. From hotel to hotel I keep it expanded or if I check it but compressing it is so easy. I have the baseline international wide body version and I pair it with the B&R Expandable Cabin Bag. Best luggage pieces I own and i own a Rimowa but B&R for the win.

I can't compare it to Travelpro because I've never used that brand yet.
manacit likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:45 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have both the BR baseline and a TravelPro Crew Expert (not platinum line).

I prefer the Travel Pro over the BR due to the robustness. The compression on the BR is nice, but probably not an extra 600 dollars nice. Platinum has lifetime warranty, while the Crew Expert has 5 year warranty.

If I were to do it again, I would get the Travel Pro Platinum for a better warranty.
carsnoceans likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a Platinum Elite instead of the B&R. It's a very nice bag at half the price. The USB gizmo is kind of pointless, but it's basically just an internal USB cable and port, so it's negligible weight. The bag does include a built-in suit organizer, and they have a video on the website on how to use it. You can buy an aftermarket backpack clip if you want one. And it does have the expansion zipper, so if you have extra stuff you can pack and close it with the expansion expanded, then sit on it or push on it and close the zipper.

Even if it doesn't last 10+ years like the B&R might, at this price you could just buy a new one sooner.

My only real issue is that TravelPro bags are all slightly oversized and foreign airlines might make you check them. But it hasn't happened to me yet.
carsnoceans likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Whatever the OP decides to buy, I suggest keeping an eye out for deals at Rakuten, AAdvantage e-shopping, etc.

Ten years ago, AAdvantage e-shopping was offering 35 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent at ebags.com!
carsnoceans likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I bought a Platinum Elite instead of the B&R. It's a very nice bag at half the price. The USB gizmo is kind of pointless, but it's basically just an internal USB cable and port, so it's negligible weight. The bag does include a built-in suit organizer, and they have a video on the website on how to use it. You can buy an aftermarket backpack clip if you want one. And it does have the expansion zipper, so if you have extra stuff you can pack and close it with the expansion expanded, then sit on it or push on it and close the zipper.

Even if it doesn't last 10+ years like the B&R might, at this price you could just buy a new one sooner.

My only real issue is that TravelPro bags are all slightly oversized and foreign airlines might make you check them. But it hasn't happened to me yet.
I am leaning in same direction after much reading. After discounts, the price difference is substantial.

Incase, the TP suitcase requires repair, must I ship it or dropping at an authorized repair center is enough? Even though these might be 3rd party repair shops and not actually owned by TravelPro.... Shipping costs probably aren't really cheap for a suitcase.

Mrs CnO had an issue with her Samsonite and she dropped it at their retail store. They took it from there and few weeks later, we had a replacement bag.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Incase, the TP suitcase requires repair, must I ship it or dropping at an authorized repair center is enough?
This is why the warranty on my B&R and Rimowa doesn't matter because I would have to ship them from out of the country. I only purchased these for the usefulness and not the warranty unfortunately.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Whatever the OP decides to buy, I suggest keeping an eye out for deals at Rakuten, AAdvantage e-shopping, etc.

Ten years ago, AAdvantage e-shopping was offering 35 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent at ebags.com!
I am eye-ing the AMEX offer for TravelPro ;-) Also, TravelPro doesn't seem to be one of eBags products.
Thanks for the reminder though
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I am eye-ing the AMEX offer for TravelPro ;-) Also, TravelPro doesn't seem to be one of eBags products.
Thanks for the reminder though
FYI: Recent review of carry-on luggage from the New York Times "Wirecutter":

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ry-on-luggage/
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Reached out to TravelPro yday. Fyi, customer service is abysmal.

Phone redirects you to live chat - which doesn't exist even during business hours. So only email in reality.
Probably a very small factor but I felt, it's worth pointing out.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Has anyone any experience of the Travel Pro Maxlite 5 International Carry On Spinner? I am getting nervous traveling on AC on the domestic flights because of what I am hearing about their strictness on carry on size. I have too may that I may not be able to use without fear.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:42 pm

Reached out to TravelPro yday. Fyi, customer service is abysmal.

Phone redirects you to live chat - which doesn't exist even during business hours. So only email in reality.
Probably a very small factor but I felt, it's worth pointing out.
I have the Platinum Elite 22in (21?) spinner and have checked it on an average of 40 round trip domestic US flights per year since sometime in early 2018. The only problems I have had (apart from the fabric on the corners starting to wear a little) was that three of the zipper pulls disappeared somewhere along the way. A couple of month ago I got tired of fiddling with it and sent a message through their customer service form asking if I could buy a replacement and a spare for each (total of 6). They responded by email within a couple of days and asked for photos of the specific zippers so they could send the correct size. Approximately 1 week later I received a small package with 7 zipper pulls - 4 of the smaller ones and 3 of the bigger. They also sent an email with a link to a video showing how to replace them.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I even bought the matching backpack.

Edit to add: I have no experience with the B&R products, I'm sure they are great too. Just sharing my experience with my TravelPro.
Old May 5, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I guess I might know to get a new one next month when I travel AC domestic. If they say it is too big then I would probably buy the travel Pro. A bigger one is handy pn the international flights where you can stuff in the DF stuff instead of carrying them in a separate shopping bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.