Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Question Advice for Check-In

Good day everyone.
I'm in the market for a Check-In bag. My current 26/27" hard side Samsonite has served me well for 7 years including transatlantic and US flights as well as road trips.

I was thinking of upgrading to something with combination lock instead of a zipper to remove that midsection flex.
I've done a bunch of research and reading and settled on a few models. I was hoping some of the more seasoned travelers can chime in on their experiences and wear/tear issues.
I'm not a constant travel for work type but figure at least 4-5 trips between each year.

My want list is an average check in size 26-29", hard sided with lock closure and no zippers so that means either full aluminum construction or poly/alum mix

Models I am picking from:

Rimowa Limbo/Hybrid Check-In M
Limbo is old stock $849 OR new Hybrid @ current market which now has the lifetime warranty
Both models are Poly with Alum frame. The Limbo seems to be a few inches bigger than my current bag

Arlo Skye: The Frame Check-In M
$525 - Poly with alum frame
Very similar in size to my current

Away: The Medium or The Large - Aluminum Edition
$725-$745 - Full aluminum construction
Cheaper than Rimowa, also comes with lifetime warranty
Medium is same size, the Large is similar to Limbo and an inch or two bigger than my current.

My last option would be a Rimowa Original Check-In M @ current market price
Same size as my current, maybe a touch smaller according to specs.Most expensive option but has lifetime warranty.
However, I'd rather buy a Rimowa Original for my next carry on. Even though the Away is full aluminum and prone to the same damage at 1/2 the price its something I would not worry about.

Any pros/cons for one or the other. Pictures of common issues etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Took a flyer on the Arlo Skye Frame check-in to see how I like it with the 100 day return window.
Almost immediately following, I managed to snag an aluminum Away Check-In with 30 day return window for 50% off due to someone personalizing it and not being able to return it.
Now I'll see which one works better and keep it and return the other.

Worse case I figure if I was going for $850 on a hybrid Rimowa, I might as well step up to the original if the others don't pan out to my liking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.