Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance to Cover Accomms if Stay Extended following Pos. Test

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Question Travel Insurance to Cover Accomms if Stay Extended following Pos. Test

Hi,

I'm traveling to France in a few days would like travel insurance that covers the cost of additional accommodations on the off-chance I test positive for COVID within 3 days of my return flight (even if asymptomatic) and need to stay in Europe for longer than planned before I'm permitted to return to the US.

Anyone know of a Covid travel insurance policy that covers this circumstance? The policies I've come across seem to require that for accommodations coverage to kick in, you need to be subject to a quarantine order; and I'm just not sure if that would cover this circumstance.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I think this may be too late but I have used Squaremouth as a source for trip insurance. I don't buy insurance very much, but it was required when we went to Turks in June. I like Squaremouth because they become your advocate if you need to use your insurance and the insurance carrier does not cooperate. I will use them for an annual travel policy when we start traveling a lot again in September.

https://www.squaremouth.com/current-...virus-outbreak
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
Originally Posted by jmp29
Hi,

I'm traveling to France in a few days would like travel insurance that covers the cost of additional accommodations on the off-chance I test positive for COVID within 3 days of my return flight (even if asymptomatic) and need to stay in Europe for longer than planned before I'm permitted to return to the US.

Anyone know of a Covid travel insurance policy that covers this circumstance? The policies I've come across seem to require that for accommodations coverage to kick in, you need to be subject to a quarantine order; and I'm just not sure if that would cover this circumstance.

Thanks!
Just wondering what travel insurance company that you went with for your trip to France. We are heading to Finland in next January and have a similar concern except now the test needs to be done in one day prior to our departure flight.

Thanks,
CJ
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:58 am

Which Travel Insurance

Hello,
Trying to find a travel insurance for an upcoming trip to the USA in January.
Any suggestions? It must apply for a European citizen to travel for leisure purposes to the USA, transiting via UK and back.
Thank you
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Before my trip to Belgium and Germany in October I bought a yearly package from Allianz -- back those carefree days when it looked we might be turning the corner and I'd be traveling a lot

I've not bought travel insurance before -- except for an Emergency Medical plan from Amex (basically air evacuation) but the Allianz plan specifically covered COVID and they would cover hotel and meal expenses if one tests positive on a trip (up to a daily max) as well as any medical expenses if hospitalized. That was my fear, testing positive before my return and stuck paying for hotel for a couple of weeks. It includes all the usual stuff as well, trip delay, interruption, etc. etc. The yearly plan was like 2.5x a single trip and I was thinking I'd make lots of trips is 2022, so I went with the annual.

While on the trip we got caught by the windstorms in Germany and our train (and everybody else's that day) was canceled and I had to book a last minute hotel. I submitted a claim ($73) and a check was waiting when I got home. Luckily, I didn't have to test the COVID coverage

I canceled my December trip to Amsterdam and Antwerp and mentally pushed back my end of January trip to end of February -- we'll see how that goes.
sushanna1 and ronin98syu like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Before my trip to Belgium and Germany in October I bought a yearly package from Allianz -- back those carefree days when it looked we might be turning the corner and I'd be traveling a lot

I've not bought travel insurance before -- except for an Emergency Medical plan from Amex (basically air evacuation) but the Allianz plan specifically covered COVID and they would cover hotel and meal expenses if one tests positive on a trip (up to a daily max) as well as any medical expenses if hospitalized. That was my fear, testing positive before my return and stuck paying for hotel for a couple of weeks. It includes all the usual stuff as well, trip delay, interruption, etc. etc. The yearly plan was like 2.5x a single trip and I was thinking I'd make lots of trips is 2022, so I went with the annual.

While on the trip we got caught by the windstorms in Germany and our train (and everybody else's that day) was canceled and I had to book a last minute hotel. I submitted a claim ($73) and a check was waiting when I got home. Luckily, I didn't have to test the COVID coverage

I canceled my December trip to Amsterdam and Antwerp and mentally pushed back my end of January trip to end of February -- we'll see how that goes.
Hi there --

which Allianz plan did you get?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

In case this is helpful to anyone, I researched this subject AGAIN since I'm going on another international trip (and again, am worried about testing positive while abroad and having to extend my accommodations and pay a fortune).

I confirmed that Trawick International's Safe Travels Explorer and Safe Travels Voyager policies (and potentially other policies of theirs) cover $150 or $300 per day up to $2000 or $4000 total for extended accommodations/lodging costs due to a positive Covid test. A Trawick claims representative confirmed that a report of a positive test from a pharmacy or lab suffices to take advantage of the benefit; a self-test does not suffice.

https://www.trawickinternational.com/products/safe-travels-voyager/

https://www.trawickinternational.com/products/safe-travels-explorer/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.