Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the One-baggers, what about toiletries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
2 Qt sized Bags(not actual ziplocks but clear zippered):
Bag 1 (Liquids): Small Refillable bottles of shampoo, body wash, mouthwash, witch hazel, smaller refilable bottle for cologne, travel shavecream (small as possible) travel toothpaste, travel tube of sunscreen, travel sized bug spray, small visine, neosporin.
Bag 2 (Non-Liquids): comb, toothbursh, razor, travel sized deodarant stick, floss, varous Bandaids, ibuprofen, flat packs of Benedryl and Immodium, and any other meds I might be taking, nail clippers.

These two bags take up very little space, and though I do have Nexus/Precheck, I never know when I'll need to pull out the liquids. Pretty much just traveling for pleasure these days, but I keep these two bags ready to go at all times. I might be going to the Conrad in Tokyo or a self drive in Namibia. The two bags get tossed in my bag and off I go. Don't have to think about anything.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
2 Qt sized Bags(not actual ziplocks but clear zippered):
Bag 1 (Liquids): Small Refillable bottles of shampoo, body wash, mouthwash, witch hazel, smaller refilable bottle for cologne, travel shavecream (small as possible) travel toothpaste, travel tube of sunscreen, travel sized bug spray, small visine, neosporin.
Bag 2 (Non-Liquids): comb, toothbursh, razor, travel sized deodarant stick, floss, varous Bandaids, ibuprofen, flat packs of Benedryl and Immodium, and any other meds I might be taking, nail clippers.

These two bags take up very little space.
This is exactly my system. I do use actual ziploc bags. I don't see any value in bulky toiletry bags/folding/hanging bags. They can weigh a lot and waste space.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I use an old United "global first" leather amenity kit. It is quite flat and fits nicely in my Goruck GR1.
Inside I keep:
  • A plastic camp mirror & single suction cup to mount it in a shower for shower shaves
  • A small 1 oz nalgene bottle filled with the cheapest Tooth powder I can find:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMM6YGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMM6YGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    OR colgate tooth poweder I bought in India.
  • 1 oz nalgene bottle filled with Nivea after shave balm (sometimes)... other times I just use whatever lotion they have in the hotel as "after shave"
  • Gillette mach 3 handle and some replacement blades or a single Bic "Metal" single blade disposable shaver.
  • a small (3cm) slice of an arko shaving stick wrapped in aluminum foil.
  • travel size deodorant or deodorant crystal thing (depending on my mood). The deodorant crystal thing is also good for stopping shaving nicks from bleeding.
  • Cheap plastic comb
  • toothbrush + sample size floss from dentist
  • Nail clipper (mostly for cutting things like cable ties)
  • Small Tweezer + safety pin
  • travel sink stopper (rubber) - lifesaver when the darn hotel sink stopper doesn't work.
I don't pack shampoo or conditioner as I just use what the hotel has. I use the conditioner on occasion in lieu of shaving cream. I'll also use the shampoo to sink-wash my merino wool socks, undershirts, underpants.

My Creature comfort which I absolutely shouldn't schlep, but always do... is my JBL Clip water resistant bluetooth thingie... which I use as a shower radio.

Please note, I don't use freedom baggies (ziplock) as I've NEVER had an issue anywhere with my setup. I also never take my toiletry bag out of my main bag, not anywhere in the world. The small nalgene bottles absolutely NEVER leak, so no worries on that front either. I also don't trust the ziplock bags to not burst open in my bag dumping my stuff everywhere.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:42 pm

I'll need to check out the 1oz bottles you mention. I currently use silicone bottles which are ok but the lid retains water from the shower which leaks out a little.

I do only use ziplocs, however I double or triple bag them to mitigate against bursting. So far I've never had any burst 🤞
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I'll need to check out the 1oz bottles you mention. I currently use silicone bottles which are ok but the lid retains water from the shower which leaks out a little.

I do only use ziplocs, however I double or triple bag them to mitigate against bursting. So far I've never had any burst 🤞
Here are the style of Nalgene bottles I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Travel-Kit-Small-Clear/dp/B00BISNAM8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KND4G0KQDI2K&dchild=1&keywords=nalgene+travel+bottles&qid=1576599428&sprefix=nalgene+travel+%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Travel-Kit-Small-Clear/dp/B00BISNAM8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KND4G0KQDI2K&dchild=1&keywords=nalgene+travel+bottles&qid=1576599428&sprefix=nalgene+travel+%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-3

This isn't the exact set I bought though.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
A couple of years ago one of my kds gave me a qt sized opaque zipper bag which was slightly gusseted. That little extra space is really nice. I do put that in a gallon sized ziploc, however, for a little added protection.

LordHamster With regard to not pulling the liquids out at security around the world. I've often wondered about this, but I always pull it out just in case. I keep it in the outside pocket of my rollaboard, so it's easily accessed.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyaxa
A couple of years ago one of my kds gave me a qt sized opaque zipper bag which was slightly gusseted. That little extra space is really nice. I do put that in a gallon sized ziploc, however, for a little added protection.

LordHamster With regard to not pulling the liquids out at security around the world. I've often wondered about this, but I always pull it out just in case. I keep it in the outside pocket of my rollaboard, so it's easily accessed.
To be fair, the only "Liquid" I carry is the 1 or 2 oz of Nivea after shave balm which is quite viscous as it is a lotion. Everything else in my kit is solids or powder. I've never been stopped anywhere for not having these in a baggie.

In India and China I've had my kit inspected as they were interested in my tweezers. They said nothing about the one liquid.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:11 am

Honestly I never pull out a "clear 311 bag" of liquids anywhere I travel and have never been asked. My US based flights are TSA Pre though.

So to travel as light as possible I will prepare myself and my gear in advance as much as possible, for example I will get a haircut if required and trim eyebrows etc. (currently in the Army Reserve so most times it is a requirement), clip all finger and toe nails before departure for any trips short or long and may only take clippers on longer trips of a couple weeks or more. The only liquids carried are the Dentist provided sample tube of Crest and Shave Secret shave oil purchased at Walmart. If staying at a hotel I will use the provided soaps and shampoos, not that I really need shampoo these days.

3-4 day one bagger kit normally includes:
1 disposable razor (Schick)
1 small bottle of Shave Secret oil
1 folding toothbrush
1 sample sized toothpaste
1 container of vitamins/pain relief
1 deoderant

All fit very easily in a small sized packing cube maybe 6"x4".

On longer trips when not staying in a hotel, well, I will still pack my kit in the carryon bag but will bring soap and shampoo in the checked luggage. Maybe have a small bar of soap with the carryon just in case.

Last edited by kaliimc; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.